1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 The Latest V4r, Will It Hold Its Money?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by ResB1299, Nov 18, 2023.

1. Havent really watched the V4R, I've been watching a few lately, mostly the 1299 R FE, and the V4 SP and SP2 since they came out. The 1299 FE would be deemed the best investment I guess in terms of age vs loss percent of starting price. But the V4 SP's have lost the same or higher percent of the price than the same age standard V4S so none of them are an investment from what I can tell.

2. Yep, the FE was on my radar when I eventually went for the V4S. But since it was track day hoonage, I went for the V4S. Experience tells me twins are a bit fragile for spankage… don’t see many in the IOM TT…

Any bike or car that doesn’t entail long waiting times is definitely not a good investment. Only the really special stuff may hold its dough.

3. I'm not entirely sure that's true especially if you wait long enough how about £3,750 for a Honda CB175... fer chuffs sake. Special is not the usual adjective used with this particular errr... steed. :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266337830593?hash=item3e02f8c6c1:g:bD0AAOSwLIhkoo-g

4. Ha ha, if you’ve got 50 years you can wait to make ~£75 a year then yeah, makes sense :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ha! :laughing: and taking inflation into account you'll probably find there is no appreciable gain from it's original list price.

But I suppose what the price boils down to in this instance is not the value of the bike per se but the value of the personal memories the bike instils. Which is good way of doing things now... don't buy a bike for it's future perceived value just buy the bike that you like that suits what you want to do and you'll create your own valuable memories.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Any blokes reading this that pushed their CB175 into their nearest rain filled disused quarry in about 1976, will not be losing any sleep I don’t think :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thanks for everyone's input.

I guess I am not looking for an investment as such, I was kind of hoping there would be minimal loss this being an 'R n all'. For instance, if I sell the Anniversario for pretty much what I paid for it and bung £15k into the deal and buy the V4R for £40k. It sounds as though, (lets say in 3 years time) the bike will probably lose the £15k I put into it maybe even more. For the amount of riding I'm doing lately, I'm probable better off keep the Anniversario, as I just will not get the use out of it on the road, never mind the track. Wonder if the V4 SP2 will be worth exploring.

I'm pondering reducing the number of bikes I have because they are becoming expensive ornaments. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Isn’t the V4R really best for track use?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. You're probably right. I'm not afraid to say it but I'm just not well off enough to throw it in the gravel. I'm actually going off the standard paintwork in any case. :D Should be on a 916.

10. Keep the 1299 mate

• Like Like x 1
  11. You get one go at life and that’s it! I’ve never got this thing about depreciation and money! I see a bike that I really want and if I can I get it! The new V4r is the ultimate bike, I wanted one so I saved and I got one, the last thing I want to do is throw it but if I do so be it! No different to any of my bikes! If I keep it a few years and loose loads of money on it I couldn’t care less! What I do care about is that I can experience riding one and ragging one in my lifetime! I’m not mega wealthy so I work hard and save, i give up everything else to do it! The most expensive bike I ever had (apart from the V4r) I lobbed atsilverstone the second outing

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
  12. Couldn’t agree more, if you want a bit of value chuck 20k in an ISA and forget bikes. Mines been a track bike from run in. Crashed it second time out and the worse bit was telling the mrs!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Here in UK everyone always seems to forget just how much of what you pay goes towards the bike.
    The government got a big slice of the price you paid, and is not part of what the bike owes you.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. I’d hazard a guess that VAT is part of the price?

15. What is the actual price that you pay VAT on? Is there a listed 'base' price that Ducati sell them to dealers for that is the calculation point for VAT?

I was wondering how new bikes can be sold at discounted prices?

16. VAT is charged on the basic price of the bike (and any accessories). VAT is not charged on the new bike OTR charge which includes first registration fee and road fund licence. IME of buying a new Ducati, any reduction in the overall purchase price, usually comes in the form of a small percentage off accessory prices plus free fitting of those accessories. The ‘Dealer’s margin’ varies hugely between manufacturers, as do the incentives offered to the dealerships to sell particular models, accessories and clothing. I understand Ducati are not generous to their dealers ;) Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Aha! I often wondered about the latter but for the former who decides what the basic price of the bike actually is.

Does a dealer buy the bike from Ducati for say, £15K, and then decides they will sell it for £17K and the VAT will be worked of the latter? And if they subsequently decide to sell it at £16K will the VAT then be charged on this lower amount?

18. Yes. The vat is charged on the actual sale price, not the MRP.
    VAT is what it actually says a Value Added Tax. So whatever value(profit) the dealer adds the government gets a tax on it.
    If a dealer buys a bike from Ducati at £10,000 plus Vat at 20% (£2,000) he pays them £12,000 and claims back the Vat (£2000) from the Government. The bike has there for cost the dealer £10,000.
    Dealer now sells the bike to a customer for £12,000 plus Vat (£2,400 at £20%). Dealer received £14,400 from the customer but has to pay the £2,400 to the Government. So he has made £12,000 less £10,000= £2,000 profit after Vat.
    The government has made £400 on the Vat. £2,400 less £2,000. That’s why it’s called VAT, the government gains tax on the sellers profit.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Great explanation.

20. just buy the damn thing but don't PX your bike ..you will regret it

Do Not Sell My Personal Information