1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Long Day Down

Discussion in 'Rideouts & Events' started by West Cork Paul, May 3, 2022.

1. Yes, I know it’s a parody of a much better known long distance ride that happened a few years back but what the hell :D Plus, surprisingly no-one else has used the name.

I took it upon myself to organise a long distance ride, for charity. I really can’t recall why, one of those ideas that form in minds over the long winter nights I suppose.

Anyway, it’s now happening (and will be repeated in future years) on 21st June - the longest day - get it:upyeah:. Participants have to ride from Malin Head, ROIs most northerly point, to Mizen Head, ROIs most southerly point (ish, there’s a bit of poetic licence there), a distance of 1000km, in the hours of daylight.
    EFE3E137-6EDC-48DD-86BA-64E00AE3D76D.jpeg

Participants cannot leave Malin before 04.47hrs that day and have to be in Mizen before 22.00hrs (sunrise to sunset that day). Along the way they will have to photograph themselves at each of 12 POIs, which means they can’t take the shortest route.

Apart from challenging oneself the idea is each participant raises a minimum of €250 for the Irish Community Air Ambulance. My aim this year is to get 50 riders, so to raise €12,500 in total. Sadly, here in ROI we only have one air ambulance, just one, for the entire country. Not only that but it’s not funded by the Government in any way so relies solely on donations to keep it going. Each time they take to the air it costs €3500 minimum and each year they get called out about 600 times :astonished:, that’s almost twice a day.

If anyone fancies taking part (there’s camping organised, there’s food, drink and a bit of a shindig at the end of the day, and of course there are prizes) you are more than welcome just register at

www.thelongdaydown.ie

or email [email protected]

and like & follow www.Facebook.com/thelongdaydown

A1673DE8-E8A6-4AED-8303-85E017E20D8F.jpeg

• Like Like x 18
  2. Splendid. I can’t believe there’s only one air ambulance for the whole of Ireland. Why they would rather spend the money on police helicopters chasing moped thieves and speeding motorists is beyond me, as the ambulance is critical for saving lives.

I did the 4 points of the UK about 12 years ago, for the air ambulance, raised about £4k. It’s a very worthy cause.

• Like Like x 5
  3. LOL :joy:, I'm not sure we even have a police helicopter over here. If there is one, it will be only the one and it will based in Dublin. We have a five Coastguard helicopters that cover 4 bases around the coastline, that's basically one at each base that's operational with the 5th one rotating in/out of service as each is taken out of service for maintenance, however, they can't be tasked to anything but coastguard duties.

The one and only Air Ambulance is fairly new phenomena as well, thought up and created by an single individual just a few years back.

For anyone interested, here's the link
    https://communityairambulance.ie

As mentioned above if anyone wants to take part, and I know @Arnie42 is, then you are more than welcome. Even more so, if people want to sponsor/make a donation, even just a fiver, all monies will be gratefully received and handed over in full to the ICAA upon completion of the event :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just found this Paul and i've told a few lads and Paul from Bike Buyers guide too, i'm hoping to arrange a few bodies to do it

• Like Like x 1
  5. Good Man and thank you. :upyeah: The more, the merrier.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information