1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 The Muttley Is Dead

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by StillMadForIt, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Are you able to guarantee your Italian haired girlfriend will be like this? I'm considering a trade in.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. I test rode a gs1200 before i bought my 1200s multisrada.
    After an hour and a half ride my fingers had gone numb, my hands were freezing to the point I couldn't feel to take my helmet off.
    Have a look on the bmw forums, it's a real problem.
    It was very capable and handled well but felt underpowered.
    Not a patch on the Ducati in my opinion.
    Once I'd mastered the screen issue it's been amazing.
    It's all subjective but in my opinion I wouldn't touch the beemer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. You want a guarantee? Get the beemer. You want adrenalin? Ducati every time!

4. I had an early WC GS for 3 years and reliable it wasn't. Numerous recalls and many owners rejecting the bikes.

Frames out of alignment, engines corroding and getting replaced. Switchgear failing etc etc.

I'm not saying the Multi is anything different, but the view that BMW represents quality is a little misguided.

Plus the bike was as dull as dishwater. I had the same relationship with my GS as I did my fridge.

Bought a 2016 PP and haven't looked back.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Yep, got to agree.
    Many people buy BMW for the perceived quality. They have as many issues as any other make.
    I've lost count of how many alternator belts I've changed on mates GS's. Also failed rear hub bearings, electrical issues, ABS failure, fork failure, the list goes on.
    The big difference is that BMW look after their customers very well.
    (so do Ducati to some extent, but nothing like BMW do - fork failure recall excluded).

Aside from this forum I belong to a club with ~600 members, so there is a wide spread of makes and models. The noticeable thing is what is the most common bike for weekends and longer trips. It used to be the BMW RT for a long time, then the Honda VFR, then the GS, and then the Multi. A few KTMs cropped up for a while, but the owners don't seem to keep them for long. Now its swinging back a bit towards the GS, as the latest LC is a very accomplished bike, and with an ECU flash is much more lively.

Ridden well the GS is every bit a match for the Multi on most roads, and up to decent speeds.
    I am a progressive rider, and ride with guys of similar ability. I had a 'head to head' with one of my mates (lets call him JW) on a new LC. I was 2 up with full luggage (panniers, top box, tank bag). He had panniers. From 40mph roll on from a junction there was nothing in it, I could not have pulled past him. When he was flat out at ~135 (gps speed) I then carried on to 150, just to prove the point :cool: JW has owned more than one multi, including a DVT. He does over 20k miles a year on trips.
    I asked him and others why they went back to the GS. Their replies were varied, but generally because its got better wind protection, better luggage, cheaper to maintain, and has slightly better residuals. JW will be back on a multi soon enough as he swaps bikes regularly.

Personally my missus has told me outright I can only change the multi for another newer one. It is the most comfortable bike she has been on, with the possible exception of the GS, but she doesn't want one of them. That suits me fine :blush:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Odd i did it the other way around, can sell you a nice tank bag used once if you want :)

7. I haven't ridden a Mutley but came from sports bikes and I don't find the GS lacking in much. It lacks the top speed of any sports bike but don't care about that. Between me and my Bro our bikes have 30k miles and neither of us have had any faults, corrosion or anything other than tyres and fuel so far. Plus I just had a big service on mine inc valves and it was £261 + vat. Loved that after £700 bills on my 848.

From a looks point of view the Mutley wins hands down but it would be more attractive to me if they ditch belts. Had a belly full of that merry go round on my 848. Also really like the lack of dive on the tele lever front end. At 6ft 4 that was always a killer on my wrists when touring in mountains etc.

Never got the premium tag many attached to BMW's though or the expectation that it won't corrode if it sees lots of salt. Never heard of a production bike that doesn't corrode at any price and the BMW is no more expensive than some other of similar spec. Never had cold hands either but mine has the updated heated grips that came in late 2014. It's like holding 2 red hot sausages on high and still toasty on low.

If time and money was no object I would have a Mutley as well just because of the looks but alas I already have 2 bikes and not enough time to ride them both let alone 3.

8. I put about 14K miles on a '16 GSw, had it at the same time as my '17 Multi S, and traded the GSw for an '18 Super Adventure 1290 S. Frankly the KTM motor wipes the floor with the boxer - and I'm a boxer fan. The GSw runs out of breath around 7K, the 1290 and the Multi keep pulling. The KTM motor is smooth and linear, the boxer pulls well down low then tapers, the Multi is a bit lumpy down low, then above 5K it will stain your pants brown. Totally different characters.

My '16 sat for over a month waiting for fork recall parts (was already starting to separate). Dealer didn't handle it well, BMW was a combination of overwhelmed and didn't care. But I will say beyond that I typically didn't have trouble getting parts for the GS.

Oddly enough, my Ducati dealer has been stellar in getting parts and taking care of recalls. So it depends on your local situation. I am selling my KTM as I'm dropping down to one bike and the Multi won (wife also says it is the most comfortable of any of them). I had pondered trading both in on a GSA, as I'd only owned GSs (and '08 and the '16). Thankfully I did a test ride before I got serious about it - I hated the GSA. Compared to the Multi and the KTM, it felt like a big pig. I found the GS to be more pleasant than the GSA, but the transmission remains agricultural compared to either my Duc or KTM.

Frankly they are all great bike, just depends on what you crave. And how good your local dealer is, along with the luck of the draw.

9. Is it the tank lock type?

10. CA1777BD-1873-4163-93F8-B749F6BD4A98.jpeg 00FA0DE9-0D1E-4B3B-A237-6F34A00F9403.jpeg 2A96E763-6F58-4A27-8FAA-6D59B9BC08E8.jpeg
    Here she is... just short of 3000 miles done and touch wood I have had no issues and it still makes me smile every time I get on it

11. no its the clip on one, you attach strap under the seat and bolt one at the front of the tank, still easy to add or remove

12. But are you still smiling when you get off it? :)

13. Yes but with a range of poignancy that the ride is over

14. The only issue I've had with my 1200s is bum ache after a couple of hours riding, apart from that nothing to report.
    Amazing bike.

15. Recently completed a week long tour of Germany, Switzerland, Italy etc with the lads. Luggage but no pillion. BM was superb and never left behind, often hard to follow.
    Back a few weeks and then down to Correze region France. Two up, full luggage. Does it all, very well. When we hit the good roads (motorways were a must, due to time..) the GS was great fun, even with the extra weight.

Quality issues? None. I see plenty moans on GS forum but have no issues with this one or previous BMs. Forums though, typically full of moaners. Others just get on and ride. ALL makes and models will have issues, I dont think there is a huge difference other than the chocolate fasteners and fast corrosion of some sub standard parts on the Ducati.
    Is there a bad bike to choose though? I dont think there is. Sometimes a change is as good as a rest.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information