1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Mystery Machine

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Lumbux, Feb 9, 2020.

1. I had the advantage of seeing both his JuniorSS and 750SS in the flesh so to speak.

I noticed that both his swingarms (on white frame bikes) were the same and different to mine. My swingarm came from something like a 93/94 900SS; so I guessed his white frame bikes must have been earlier, plus the fact that being the smaller capacity bikes, they actually had ally swingarms instead of steel (I think the steel ones were introduced in 94).

IMO those two swingarms looked better but I suspect the later versions were modified so the split joint was shorter; either to stop them getting loose or it were cheaper to manufacture.

#21 Arquebus, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  2. So should the Calliper mount be free moving to have the rod attached. The calliper is solid and won’t move on it’s mount. Not sure how it’s mounted yet as I haven’t started the strip down yet.

Your right Al, the 750 and junior swing arms did look better, but I’m not too bothered, just happy to have a Duc again!

3. The caliper mount on mine has a thrust bearing on it allowing it free movement controlled by the rod attachment.

4. The caliper mount on the Superlights was a 'floater', so needed a torque arm. The non floating standard setup slotted into a machined location and so couldn't move.

5. So have had another look over the bike tonight, and the rear calliper mount is the standard mount upside down by the looks of things so will leave it how it is just up grade the hose to braided. As for age still unsure, the seat has a 97 year sticker, the wheels are 12/95 and the breather box under the seat looks to be 91. It is a real bit’sa by the looks of things. Got a couple of afternoons off next week so I can give the shed a tidy and hope to start the strip down. Powder coating is sorted and if all goes to plan this should be done by the end of March. That will leave the engine to be tidying up, forks to rebuild and all other parts to be cleaned and re assembled. Has anyone reversed polished the ally bits, was thinking 3000 wet and dry to give a more dull finish?

6. Ducati Italy will give you the year if you give them the VIN

7. The vins gone Al as it’s registered on a Q plate and the frame has been re-stamped.

8. If that caliper mount hasn't got a locating lug on the swinging arm how is it going too stay fixed, when you brake you going to throw the lot around the wheel.

9. I think you are correct.....it should look like yours.....which is this........

upload_2020-2-26_15-26-43.png

10. that be her guv..........

11. The calliper mount plate is located on the lug on the swing arm so is fixed. Can’t work it out, looks like the top mount plate bug upside down. Will take some photos at the weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Neither can I work it out, because the top mounted caliper would be on an entirely different mount plate.

It can't be one of that has been turned upside down IMO, because the boss would throw the caliper off line with the disc.

I wonder if the boss has been removed, mount turned upside down and a spacer added on the other side to make up for the removed boss.

That way the top caliper mount would work upside down and lock over the retaining peg.

................I think.........

upload_2020-2-27_12-3-11.png

13. Photos of the calliper mount plate attached. Out of interest I notice that the rear calliper on the 900ss that Andy Motorcycle obsession is rebuilding, mentioned in another thread, has the same rear calliper arrangement. I did also connect a battery up just to see what works and everything dose. Only problem I can really find is petrol pissing out of the carbs, I love rebuilding them!!. Also the seat doesn’t seem to fit any ideas? It’s is stamped 97, could this be the problem?

ED5D8BA7-8061-4D78-AAC1-96F37A9FE25A.jpeg

1CBC58F8-15A5-4F38-B203-47D6D6F15F33.jpeg

B60EA236-FC58-4FB6-8CA0-26F0ABD182A6.jpeg

C7CB687F-F472-422D-856A-719139B3909C.jpeg

14. Looks like the seat simply isn't forward enough.......but there were differences between the earlier and later seats; same applies to the lock unit as well IIRC.

The caliper mount is OK.....it appears there were two types, hanging and on top. It seems that IEs and Monsters had them as well.

15. I though the same about the seat, even moved the tank forward on its mount but still doesn’t fit. Has the old style latch so I guess I need to shorten the seat a little at the back. I’ll leave the calliper as is.

16. suggest your rear caliper is from the later injection model.
    [​IMG]
    the seat lock tail piece is period correct (early ss) suspect has been fitted using later type mount h/w, had a similar issue.

IMG_2713.JPG

#36 WAH900ss, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Thanks WAH900ss, I see what you mean. I’ll peel back the seat cover and remove a section of the plastic at the rear. The cover is ripped there so this will hide it, hopefully!! Hopefully I will get my shed tidy this week and start the strip down down over the next few weeks.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Hi Lumbux, you're welcome, kudos to you for taking on the project.
    There is another possible cause, my recall is getting poor but rather unhelpfully when Ducati changed the seat lock from earlier "loop" type to later "post" type they kept the original hole fixing centres, making them apparently interchangeable, the issue being the later design of seat is slightly different / longer than the original.
    I was lucky in that I knew my bikes history and yet still fell into the bear traps.
    (apologies for waffling on, best of luck with it)

19. Seat has the loop type lock like my old two, the seat has a date of 10/97. I’ll modify this seat, Dremel make a plastic cutting disc that are very good, any one used them?

20. IIRC the earlier seat had four rubber bungs underneath but they were prone to cracking across the middle of the seat base, so the later ones had six bungs....

....or was it two and four respectively?

Witness marks on my 97 frame suggests six bungs.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information