1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New Diavel - Pros And Cons Please??

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by El Toro, Apr 22, 2014.

1. I am seriously considering moving away from a sports bike to the Diavel as I was very impressed when I had a test ride for a couple of hours a few days ago. However, although I did put it through it's paces on different roads and different conditions, it was still only over a couple of hours.

So..........I'm after your esteemed comments. What are the pros and cons of the Diavel over the long term? Give me the low down including warts and all. :)

GO.............

2. Not a con but a drawback, the bike really benefits from an Ohlins rear shock or at least the 2012 model does. The Sachs can bounce you around on an uneven surface. My girlfriend has lived with one for 2 years and it's done touring (with her stuff in my panniers) and 3 days on track at Cartagena. Alright it's probably not the best track bike in the world but it wasn't the slowest. Given the slightest opportunity or excuse she is out on the bike and enjoys every moment except when it is lashing down like it was at Le Mans. If you are really that tired of a sports bike and want a change, you could do a lot worse than the Diavel. Oh yes, I nearly forgot, when you are enthusiastic the front tyre wears unevenly because you are always pushing it and the rear tyre does shred and the foot pegs are definitely too low. Have another test ride and see if your first impressions remain positive. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'll have to de friend you unless you keep Eva as well

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Get a v4 tuono! All the power, great sound, all the electronics, but without that horrible riding position of a sports bike that only makes sense when your on track or the best roads, which makes them a pain most of the time on our roads.

5. pro, perfect for a man your age. con. even in your leathers and helmet every one will know your a man of your age.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Pros: Looks, handling, charisma, power, sound
    Cons: Only a 17l tank. Nowhere to put a top box. Weird rear tyre size.

I was toying with the idea of trading my Multistrada for one, but the cons are too much for me to take.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tim at Snells told me he thought the 2014 Diavel has better low speed/round town manners than the earlier Diavel. The low speed round town manners of the older Diavel I test rode last year were a very pleasant surprise - it was more civilised than than my 696 or the other half's 695. If the new one is even better it should be very good indeed. Though living oop north, I dare say you don't care as much about low speed round town manners of any bike than those of us exiled to the congested south ...

Obviously the new Diavel still has a face only its mother could love, but if I had the cash I'd add one to the garage without question, as it was such a hoot to ride.

Oh, and I have seen a Diavel with a Givi top box parked outside the factory in Bologna on the way to WDW2012. Didn't do much for the looks, but it is possible.

DSC00377.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. I do a lot of miles in the company of my girlfriend on her Diavel and my 2012 1200s uses slightly more fuel than it does. Routinely looking at 150 miles before getting nervous and looking to fill up and finding that there are several litres still in the tank. She bought a set of tyres before we went to Cartagena and the 240/45/17 rear was cheaper than a rear for the Multi. Andy

9. Did you try a Multi too, El Toro?

I had a brief ride on the Diavel a few weeks ago and despite enjoying it loads i still preferred my Multi.

10. The multi is too tall for my hobbit like stature ;)

11. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Well, I have no idea what they are like to ride , I have just ordered one on that fact that they are so different to anything else around.

Strange you might think! to trade a Multi for this but is it?

Without a doubt the Multi is the most fun all rounder there is, and mine has been 100% reliable for the time I have owned it. I am not the most sympathetic owner so that is bonus statement for reliability. I may well live to regret the trade but who knows!

I am willing to take the risk and hoping that every time I ride "judge dread" ( as some one called it) It will make me smile. If it does that then ill be a convert.

13. They were my concerns but I don't want to buy a bike with a large tank range when 99.9% of my journeys are less than 120 miles one way. More time to stop and smell the roses.

Two or three times a year ( if I'm lucky) I go to Europe touring or dicking around on bikes. Only then I think will the tank range bother me a little. But, I have passed the iron butt days of 1000+ days. Now I go a longer route to avoid auto-routes. See more, meet more people, more fag breaks, more coffee.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I'm lucky if I get 110 most of the time. Most I've got is 130 on a M'way run.

I've said what I think on the test ride thread. To me the diavel is a second bike to have alongside something else.

I'd test it again with the 899 to see if you feel the same. I know what I'd buy.

15. See pages 32 & 33 of the June edition of Ride magazine:

Claims the Diavel appeals to the discerning extrovert.

Has your name written all over it... :)

#15 Rudolph Hart, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information