1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New V4 Sports Tourer, Taking Orders.

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Sam1199, Jan 11, 2021.

?
  1. I’d buy the high torque road version

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. I’d buy the high horsepower loony version

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. I’d buy the new Multistrada all terrain V4

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. I had to go back and look at the Supersport. IMHO the back end of the SS is too small.
    I really like Sam's design. In fact, when the time comes, I would trade both the Multi and the Monster to settle on one such bike.

2. Again, as from the earlier thread on this subject, and in my opinion, for the Supersport to be a practical sports tourer it would need better weather protection around the front and rear wheels, a more protective fairing, a taller windscreen (adjustable?), solid panniers and provision for a top box, and the touring footpegs. But then would it almost be an STx?
    If so I would be interested, and posibly others too.
    Perhaps Ducati will listen, and they might sell more revised Supersports?
    Tom.

3. Not sure I see the point of the low power version. For many people, touring is 2 up with luggage so the high power, high torque engine would be the way to go. My K1300S is an absolute weapon but is also comfortable 2 up with luggage. It knocks out about 185BHP and about 100lbft

4. The K1300s is a really good bike. As you say, plenty of power and I like the way it handles. As you and Bradders point out there must be some kind of balance between Hp and torque. Torque being more usable on the road than full on horsepower.

I certainly wouldn’t argue against 165-185hp and 100lbft equates to just over 135Nm so it’s in that ballpark. Maybe the torque could be pushed up a little more but what we’re talking about is a powerful flexible engine rather than flat out high revving high end horsepower. Which should be ideal for touring solo or two up.

Another way of producing a road going touring machine may well be an ST crossover as RTD mentioned above.

Take the new V4 Multistrada and lower it. On the road we don’t need all that suspension travel, we don’t need massive ground clearance and we certainly don’t need such a high seat. The amount of people I’ve heard say they can’t deal with the seat height of GS’s and Multistrada’s so they don’t buy them.
    Personally I’d like to see the whole package look more attractive, Ducati have built their reputation on attractive bikes. Instead of this Munterstrada we’ve been presented with. Wrap it in an attractive, sporty half fairing. Lower the bars a tad, sports wheels and tyres. How difficult would that be? The lower the centre of gravity the better the bike will handle. None of this is rocket science.

Munterstrada. Good word that, or name should I say. Munterstrada, I think that could justifiably stick to this new model.

#24 Sam1199, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  5. On the subject of the K1300S, now out of production, I traded my Multistrada in to buy one and never regretted it. The bike did everything I asked of it, from loaded European touring to a lap of the Nurburgring Nordschleife, and never missed a beat. All in all a great bike, but an across the frame four that didn't have the engine characteristics or "feel" of a big twin. I've since traded the K13 on an R1200RS, which is a big twin that will do the basics well enough but is down on power and feels heavy when fully loaded. So I consider that the opportunity to resurrect a true sports tourer in the ST style is there, if Ducati want to take advantage of it and fill a gap in the market. Personally, I would settle for either a V2 or V4 engine version of a candidate bike, or both versions would be good!

6. I think you have a good idea and if I was in the market for a new sports tourer for two up riding, one built around the V4 motor would be on the top of my list.

Ducati, BMW and Honda all pulled out of that market when they dropped the ST, K1300S and Blackbird respectively. Do Suzuki still make the Hayabusa?

#26 749er, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Seriously condidering the new aprilia V4 rr with its new improoved ergonomics, higher bars, talller screen, new front fairing,luggage option,larger pillion seat and lower pegs.Eagerly awaiting the release on more info;)

8. There’s another really good bike. Ironically one of my younger brothers has a K1300 the other has a Tuono 1100 Factory. I like them both. Can’t say I know the difference between the factory and the RR, do you? Is it just the things you mention above or are there performance differences.

There’s good stuff out there, the KTM GT1290 amongst them. I’ve just noticed it’s 175hp and 141Nm of torque. Sounds a fun ride.

9. Oops
    I,m all thumbs lol
    Factory gets full ohlins semi active suspension and rr sachs.
    For the most part thats all except this year the rr will benefit from taller bars,screen , larger pillion seat, luggage.
    Hopefully Aprilia will release full details soon.

#29 rdryder, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2021
  10. The thing about the K1300S is, it does more than the basics well.

For example, 155mph plus, 2 up on the autobahn. It was me that was the limiting factor, not the bike. I kept expecting the too fast signal to come from Mrs749er, but it never did. When we stopped, I asked why not and how comfortable was it, windblast etc, and replied it was all great, very Comfortable.

I got the speed from Mrs749er. I was concentrating on the road

11. The Ride review of the V4 Multi says its a better bike than the 1260 at everything bar fuel consumption. Its also more nimble than the 1260.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Yep I read that. Interesting the number of "faults" the milti V2's had, none of which I remember reading about when it was lauded as the best all round bike.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information