1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "what Good Garage Floor Paint" Thread

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by PeterT, Jan 2, 2017.

1. I put that down on my garage floor last year. The rolls are heavy and the matting is tightly rolled so you need to leave it unrolled for a while so it flattens out. Easy to cut and easy to lay. Only major issue I've had is that when you put the car away immediately after a journey, the residual heat in the tyres has discoloured the matting brown. Andy

2. Cheers Andy. Only my bikes going in the garage and they will be on bike mats.
    Trip to costco coming up in think.

3. @nelly thanks for the link to the PlasFloor tiles, I can definitely see them on my workshop floor in the near future!

My garage / workshop floor is trowelled concrete and was painted with some industrial quality floor paint I managed to blag from work. It’s been pretty good but over the last year or so I’ve been looking at it and thinking I’m going to have to re-paint it or something as there are more and more bare patches appearing.

As well as storing bikes I have a lathe and milling machine, even with rubber mats in front of the machines it gets a fairly hard life. The hard(ish) foam mats sold by Machinemart etc. aren’t much good because metal swarf gets embedded in them.

I contacted the manufacturer of the Plasfloor tiles to ask about suitability in a machine shop environment, they got back to me really quickly and said they use them in their own toolroom and unless you are making a lot of blue (v. hot) chips they are fine. They even sent me a photo. If a few do get tatty I could just swap them to lower wear areas.

To do my 5.5m x 3.0 metre garage / workshop works out at just over £300 so cheaper than the Costco stuff.
    Only downside is going to be shifting everything to lay them – a job for spring methinks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for that. Measured my garage earlier and it's going to take two rolls of the Costco flooring. So I'll look at the matting your on about.

5. @mentalist there is a really useful tile calculator on their website
    Tile Calculator
    Enter your length & width and it works out how many tiles you need and the cost.

6. Yeah. Done that and it'll be cheaper to buy from Costco. 550 pound for the tiles. I did like the idea of having edging colour and ducati in red down the middle of the floor.

7. That flooring is internet purchase only but the price includes home delivery. Andy

8. It's in stock at Haydock branch.

9. I must live out in the sticks then my local doesn't stock it :(. Andy

10. Yep. Pretty much my findings. They've took everything other than a prolonged fuel spill we've thrown at them. I'd leave the miller and lathe on the concrete and tile round them. I've done that with my lifts and it allows the floor to move a little with the heat. Soon vacuum any dirt up..
    Good luck with it :)

11. Well i have used 2 pack solvent free resin paint for years with no issues, i move several ton machines around fork lifts oil ans solvents with no issues, unfortunately you get what you pay for the resin i use works out to about £95 for 2-4 square meters which is dear for paint but still worth it,

12. £95 for 2-4 sqm? I hope that's a typo...

13. He did say it was dear. Andy

14. Two coats is roughly £5.75 sqm.

12 kg tin will do 40sqm.

That's most 2 pack 100% solids.

I went to look at a job this week that someone did themselves. No prep. Then they realised they never put the activator in. Realised the mistake , so they painted it on top. You can imagine the toffee that resulted from that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Plasflloor tiles fitted last weekend - really pleased with them
    Dead easy to lay and look great

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pics or it didnt happen ! Lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Should be ok for spilling apple pie on then! On your hands and knees and just lick....

18. " on your hands and knees and just lick"......

You sound like my wife!

19. Sounds like what you say to your wife just before a slap. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. I put in some pvc garage floor tiles myself, they seem to be holding up really well. I went with FlexiTiles that I got from Bricoflor. So far so good.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information