1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Think I'm Depressed!

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Kevin Tallant, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Still working on anti-wheelie control. I assume that it has an off button?
    upload_2021-4-14_17-39-22.png
    Or a "watch me, I'm on TV!" button.....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Part of my 1290SA fairing (just below the screen) cracked when I first had it. It was replaced under warranty, no problems, but I was absolutely astounded that the part could be had new (in 2015) for only £42 inc. VAT. If it had been BMW, I imagine a similar part would have been at least £250 ex VAT. I reckon KTM use less expensive parts in potentially hard-wearing areas of the bike, where they can, so that they don't cost a fortune to replace after a few years. I like that. Sure, it may look a little plasticky in places but that seems to be improving with time. I think all parts on my Super Duke GT look more than acceptable.

3. As has been said by a few on here before, the trick with KTM is to buy the last (2 year old) version of the model you want (pre-registered, new old stock). eg. in 2019 when it first came out, the second iteration of the SD GT was £17K new. Earlier this year, you could have had a 2020 model for £14K brand new. It works around the depreciation but you have to be patient.

4. I know exactly where the OP is coming from,... I think I’m going “ bike blind “ as well :confused:

Part of it is the fact that I’m getting older and don’t make as many rash decisions with money now I’ve recently retired and part of it is most of the new stuff on offer, just doesn’t float my boat, not good enough, too plasticky, laden with unnecessary electronic packages that I don’t really want ( radar cruise control : unamused: ) also top end new bike prices are just going nuts! £20 - £23k! I can remember buying a new Fireblade for about £9k!
    We can thank PCPs for driving up the cost of new bikes, people no longer look at the ticket price, they just think “ how much per month can I afford?” and the bike manufacturers keep stealthy hiking the prices up unnoticed.
    However I always buy my bikes outright, I’m just old school in that regard, but I don’t think some of the new bikes justify the huge prices?
    I think my next purchase might be one of the new Aprilia Tuono’s or RSV4s, but not until the prices come down to realistic levels, once bitten twice shy with Aprilia I’m afraid, I bought a new RSV1000r Mille in 2002 and have never lost as much money on a bike in my life!
    I keep bunging some nice bits on my current 899 and to be fair, it’s all the ride I need, plus the cost to change to a new bike is getting more and more expensive for hardly tangible improvements, as already mentioned a new V2 Streetfighter might fit the bill providing Ducati upgrades the suspension and brakes, we’ll wait and see but I’m not hopeful and therefore I’ll probably be sticking with what I’ve got.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Each to their own. I'm pretty sold on the new Monster. That, or the Aprilia Tuono 660. Both not stupid money new, but come the time, I'll ask for test rides on both and make a final decision.

I've made up my mind to not go for stupid bhp at stupid money.

I am not going to replace the car that i had to give back - providing that my legs get strong enough and I'll just rely on my bikes. For the odd times that I want a car then I am just going to hire. That way, no car maintenance or servicing (which I hate) and just mucking about with bikes (which I love). I might tour or might not when the pandemic has died down. The Ducati factory and museum do beckon. As does does Spain. I have forgotten most of my Spanish and would like a reason to re-learn as well as an excuse to get into Italian!

• Like Like x 3
  6. That sounds like a sensible option, how long until you change your mind... 1, 2, 3...:D

A good friend of mine does just this. She has a business in France, tourism sector, but lives here in the winter and has been here for the pandemic. Her car is French registered and still out there. Here in the UK she hires as she needs a car and seems to have a deal with the local Hertz office which costs something like £9-10/day for a half decent Vauxhall MPV, no idea what model but it's practical transport. Much cheaper than car ownership to the extent that she had one for a couple of months recently to make it easier to visit her elderly mum in London.

7. Not long, going on normal, but happy with choice at the moment.

The Aprilia works for me as my nearest dealer does Aprilia. The Monster works as I like what Ducati have done and it goes back to what attracted me to my first Monster - sporty engine in a nice frame with streetbike looks. As it will only be for messing about on, I am not worried about range and touring potential - although I've toured on my previous Monsters with one making Austria! The Ducati is a bit more expensive than the Aprilia but that has always been the way with Ducati and I am not bothered. A lot is made in the press about the non-adjustability of the suspension but I've only adjusted suspension before coz you can, not because I needed to.

As I won't be working and need something almost daily, it just doesn't make sense to own a car sitting around doing nothing most of the time - but tax and insurance still need to go out and depreciation and maintenance is a factor - even cleaning the damn thing as my water is metered now!

8. I like the fact that the normal YouTube "stars" have no got hold of it yet.

Or are Ducati dealers wise to the trick of "borrowing" a bike to "test" for making another crap YouTube video with never any intention if buying, while genuine buyers are denied a test ride because the bike is out with a "star"?

9. Better mood today & different dealer. 1299 R rings my bell, but know I couldn't do it justice or afford it. Looks awesome in tricolore with wheel barrow exhausts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I like the new Monster because it is very light and not with mad power (112, I think) and of course it depends on what you want to do with the bike. As I just want it for playing then my choice is quite easy. And even though it is supposed to have anti-wheelie, Ducati make it very clear that it will do stonkers!!!

11. I'd like to sample 200bhp once, might bullshite my way into a test ride when my 916 is finally back on road. Wheels, new rotors, rebuilt brake calipers back on, new brake lines & full desmo service to go.... + plenty of finger crossed.

received_764659514184929.jpeg

received_499022421122445.jpeg

received_378764713194300.jpeg

12. This makes good scene for most things I find. I used to throw money at new bikes and cars....No need really, don't believe the hype...:cool: I'd rather procure experiences than stuff.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. I thought that I was taking the mick but there is official instruction on it!

The title of this thread was about being depressed but I stole it.

Now, I am depressed :confounded::scream::confused:
    upload_2021-4-16_13-22-26.png

14. Whilst I had my Monster in for a service this week I was drooling over the Supersport 950, I think its gorgeous and a practical usable bike...

IMG_20210412_105728840_HDR_2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I looked at the street fighter v4 today, standard is circa £17750 and the s is £20k, it’s very salty but equally it’s beautifully built, little details like what looks like a billet top yoke really make it look finished.

I’m tempted...

AD71E1EE-CD94-4BDC-B6C0-796359A5B44F.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lovin the nissen hut, lots of room, must be chilly in winter though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I’m tempted but can’t even get an insurance quote for a V2 .

18. Most manufacturers now are virtually forced to release new models in order to meet emission restrictions, Euro 5 etc, this doesn’t mean to say that the bikes are any better than the ones they are replacing, the capacity bump ups are just to put back the power they have lost by strangling the engine some more, I’m quite happy with my 899 , must be, I’ve done 26,000 miles on it now!

If I went out tomorrow and bought a V4S or a new RSV4 1100 I probably wouldn’t ride any faster than I do now, I’m mostly road riding and the 899 is more than fast enough for the public highway, what I’m trying to do with it is get more control, so I’ve bought a K-tech DDS pro shock and I’m gonna have the forks set up for me and I’ve got some BST carbon wheels coming for it, I’d rather spend the money putting some nice bits on this, to ( hopefully!) make it a customised ride for me.
    And like you, I’ve got to the stage where new shiny things don’t distract me as much.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information