1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking About Buying....

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Lockesboy, Jul 27, 2020.

1. I would add a bit to this for anybody changing belts -
    After you are sure everything is in line and the tension is correct (use Gates belt tension free app to set by frequency- very simple) with the covers off and the spark plugs still out, turn the engine over 2 full cycles by hand (on the pulleys). If there is anything wrong the marks won’t line up any more or you will feel it stop as a piston touches a valve. You can fix it at that point, but if you do it on the starter motor, you will have bent the valve.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hi, yes I will use the Harmonics system to check the belt tension, it probably wont be spot on but close enough, what's the frequency, anybody know? and where is the best place on the belts to check the tension?

3. This should help, it's a shit quality vid but very helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 99 Hz at the longest free run on tdc firing stroke for the cyl you are checking.

• Like Like x 1
  5. For me this clip explained it better.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cheers guys, :motorcycleduc:

• Like Like x 1
  7. I’ve just realised you’ve bought an air cooled 750, not as my clip is a 749 water cooled. Ignore mine it’s a completely different engine. Here is 2 valves.

#87 DucatiScud, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Yeah still good to watch though...I watched it this morning..thanks mate..nice one

9. Hi guys,
    got the bike today and it's great, Hehe..so little movement trying to turn because of the upper plastics...I've only had a quick run on it but it seems to be pretty quick, I'm on the scrounge now as I'm after an owners manual for the bike, I've got a service book but sadly no owners manual..just wondered if anyone might have one for a 2003 750SS..

IMG-20200728-WA0003.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  10. loving the e39...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Just to add I'm also interested in how many Ducati 750SS ie models were imported into the UK, I understand it's less than the 900SS..so if anyone knows please let me know..

Thanks

12. RC1, Yeah I've had it for 6 years, it's a 530i ...only 3 in the country according to how many left dot com, it's pretty much mint, never painted ...

13. 1999: 15
    2000: 25
    2001: 05
    2002: 10

• Like Like x 1
  14. lovely stuff. big fan of that era. onto my third e46 now but now in alpina b3s coupe guise. my ex just sold the family barge e39 m sport touring 525i with 80k miles on it without telling me. im gutted. its the second one i had. anything after the e46/39 doesnt come close

is yours auto?

15. RC1, yes auto, I had to rebuild the gearbox when I bought it,..old guy had it, I think he put it into reverse while it was still moving forward, unfortunately, that kinda,made the reverse drum explode...anyway I took the box out rebuilt it and it's been great, if you want I'll take a few pics for you, I had the estate same as you, mine was the 530i in metallic silver with black leather.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The lock is somewhat tiny to non existent you will have to relearn your road positions :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Just practice your 'knee down' around town for tight junctions :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information