1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking About Buying....

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Lockesboy, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Exactly... spending most of your time leaning to the tarmac

• Like Like x 2
  2. The dealer's dog won't get fed for the next fortnight

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Apparently I have an ex Ducati tech living near me just up my road, he goes by the nickname Chicken Wings...anybody know him ...could be a handy guy to know

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Haha..found him, a couple of guys I know pointed me in the right direction , I gave the bike a wash and went out for a ride, I was laughing when I stopped at traffic lights,...I need a neck extension....hahaha...and the turning

20200729_164337.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Try and hug with your knees to take the weight off arms wrists shoulder and neck

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeah ok will do, it's a whole new riding position for me, was it built for earthlings..:joy::)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. If you look down on the (Don't know about the 750)headstock there are to either side like lock nut with a bolt that you can adjust the lock to lock, but to be honest it doesn't make much difference but sort of helps. The lock to lock on these is more of a orbit than a turn.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Orbit, that is the perfect word to describe turning this baby...loads of torque from the engine though, fast on a track I reckon ...if I get a chance it'll be belts inspection this weekend along with an oil and filter change..RC1 kindly posted some of the UK import figures for this model...crikey..not many imported into the UK.I reckon I'll give it the once over and put it in the workshop, not use it so much..

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ducati Glasgow got back to me, their response below...

Dear Mr Macdonald, despite the low mileage covered the belts would require changed now as they should be changed every two years as you say, due to perishing. Ducati have replaced the belts now with ones that last 5 years before changing so the new belts from ourselves would last a further 5 years.

Please email or call Brian if you would like to book your bike in for this or to purchase the belts on 07766 384641 or [email protected].

10. Buy from @Exige, much cheaper and as good if not better quality.
    5 years from Ducati sounds strange

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I mean let's face it there not made of cheese but 5 years, i'll stick with 2 years or 12k miles!!:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  12. No, for crazy people :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I bought the SS as my first ever bike never ridden before except for the ER500 in my DAS :grinning:
    I like a challenge

• Like Like x 2
  14. Wow that's certainly a step up from an ER500, I went from a Suzuki GS500 to a Honda CBR1000F and then onto BMW tourers ...and now ....drum roll please...A Ducati....tada...:laughing:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Some Ducati belts are 5 years now like the Scrambler, but some with the same engine are still 2 I believe. California Cycleworks belts are extensively tested and always match OEM with less stretch over the service life. I think all 4 valve are 2 years still unless someone knows different?

#115 Exige, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Excellent choice, I went from Yamaha DT125 to 900 Monster (what were you saying about mad people :D)- I did get a test ride of a 600SS but was too painful on the wrists even though I really wanted one :( turning circle was measured in football pitch lengths :D to be fair the monster wasn't all that much better

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Belts inspection today revealed that the belts are from 2003 or possibly 2004. They are like new however I have ordered up new belts from Ducati, not a bad price just over 80 quid delivered..and good for 5 years...good stuff...engine is in time and just awaiting the belts ..anybody doing this job, it's a piece of cake, there is nothing to it...

20200730_133453.jpg

20200730_134612.jpg

20200730_134619.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. My first set of belts lasted from 2002 to 2016 :astonished: but I've changed them once since :D

I thought your dealer said they were only 4 years or so old?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 3 years, that's what he said...:joy:..they are probably just fine, not cracking or worn out looking, but for 80 quid and for piece of mind I will change them, anybody know the paint code for a 2003 750SS in yellow, I've got a bit of stone rash on the belly pan and I want to get that sorted ...I cant help it..I'm like that...lol...:motorcycleduc:

• Like Like x 2
  20. HI guys,
    Any tyre recommendations, both tyres look about done, maybe 2.5mm tread left, I know 1mm is the law but it's not a target, ..I'm thinking a nice pair of Pirelli tyres but I'm open to suggestions, this is a project for me now and I want to get it in tip top condition, I think this must be one of the last ones registered in the UK, I say that because the production of these bikes stopped in 2002 a d mine is a 2003, anyway I'm looking forward to getting this baby back on the road, looking great and going great, ...I've just got to learn to ride it...haha...

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information