1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Thinking About Getting One

Discussion in 'Monster' started by shakeys dad, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Nice one, ride out at some distant point in the future then!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Definitely

3. Hey folks,

Been a long time since I posted on here after a "bavarian sojourn" shall we say.

I am looking an a 2016 M1200R on web but I have a few questions, and I'd like opinions from ACTUAL owners! I love the look of the R, and it would be something pretty rare here in SW Ireland. So questions
    1) Seat height on R is 830mm which sounds v high. I am a shortarse. I sat on an S and found it perfectly manageable, but I wouldnt have had much room to go higher. Is the seat height noticably different?
    2) Service Intervals: what is servicing like, is it a 2yr/9K KMs job? What are the big intervals like
    3) As a road bike. How is it with windblast, is there anything like small screen etc that are effective, or is it a non issue at motorway speeds.

Any other general thoughts or recommendations. I am not near any dealers so options to try out are double f**ked at moment with Covid restrictions. Any other buying advice?

Mush

4. I have a 2015 1200s and thought that the R was all the same dimensions (unlike KTMs).
    If it is the same i can offer some thoughts after 11k good miles (29" inside leg)

If the R is different better start a new post with a 1200R flag on it

5. For 2016 From a Google search
    1200 R Seat height: 830 mm (32.7 inches) Lowest was stated
    1200 S Seat height 785 – 810 mm (30.9 – 31.8 in)

I believe the R seat is lower/thinner compared to the S if you just measured the seat (So closer to the pegs)
    But because the R gets taller shocks and the larger Marchesini wheels the seat ends up higher.

BUT... 2 other sites mention 32.7 for the S... So. do your research, sit one if you can
    Rex

6. One of the reasons I bought an S was the seat adjusts for height, the R is fixed.

7. I have a 1200R ,i am also a short arse ,nearly 5ft 8" :) 30" inside leg and i have no trouble ,i can get both feet down ,not flat but not a problem .First service is 9000 miles or annually ,which other comes first, large service is every five years if you do not reach the stated mileage first.As for wind blast ,the screen is surprisingly effective ,and i have had no issues even when well over the ton . It is very agile,fantastic brakes and suspension and bloody quick ! Go for it as you will not be disappointed .

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. i have 1200R and i have 29" inside leg no problem getting both feet down

• Like Like x 1
  9. A17D2D28-1F7D-4AF8-9648-42DE5AD91152.jpeg

I’ve got the 1200R. Did back to back test rides with the S and R. Can’t say I noticed much difference in seat height and getting feet down, but the R felt a bit more ‘roomy’ for my dodgy knees. I ended up getting the comfort seat for the R as well, which added a cm or 2 height wise. I put a Puig screen on mine as well - more for looks than windblast, tho it does help...

10. ive been thinking for a 1200 monster myself a while mow..i got to ride a 2015 bike and had a blast on it, last year.

but one thing turned me off, the completely rubbish steering lock , i done a u-turn top of a mountain section, and almost dropped it - dunno how i held it up, off camber road etc, but its stupid tight with very little room. Aside from that, id say i will buy one eventually.

11. Whereabouts are you ? I’ve an 1100S you’re welcome to try for size. Ok it’s the air-cooled engine but dimensions wise it’s pretty much the same. Happy to let you have a go on it:upyeah::).

ps. I’m about as far SW Ireland as you can go :confused: Schull.

12. Get on with it, you know you want to

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information