1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking About Racing Next Year.

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Skidmark66, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Ok first things first im certainly no Rossi by a long way in fact I would say mid to front inters on a trackday. I have only been doing trackdays for about 6 years or so and have really enjoyed my time on track but just lately I have been getting a bit bored with just turning up and circulating then going home.
    After a lot of thought I have come to the conclusion that I need a goal to aim for and thought racing may well be the goal. Its early doors at the moment and im not sure what to do but a couple of things have come up one is me and a mate trying endurance or I go it alone and maybe Desmoduo.
    I have an existing bike which im prepared to use for endurance or if I go Desmoduo then I will have to purchase a bike.
    Im off to Donny next weekend to watch the 1000km endurance with NL just to see whats what and hopefully wet the appetite.
    Anyhow im looking for some advice from any fellow racers who have done either or both series.
    Just to add its not glory im looking for its just some fun for me.
    Mark.

2. Firstly, do it :upyeah: Great fun.

Secondly do you mean DSC Desmo Due? Paddock quite friendly, cheapest racing there is and bikes are so slow you really learn corner speed and how to pass ;)

3. Whatever you race, consider buying a prepared bike rather than road and convert. Takes away a lot of hassle and potentially cost. Don't be put off by no v5, especially with things like D675 as many came in just to race. More important numbers are present and unaltered. Also lots of frames come in from Eire and Europe.

4. Whatever I do I will have to ride a Ducati:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  5. I've been thinking about going racing for a while too mate

Missus isn't all that keen strangely

6. Funny enough my old lady said go for it which was a surprise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. It is expensive track time. Endurance seems less so if you can manage tyres and get three to a team. Another way is to enter multiple races, so e.g. on a 996 you could enter sound of thunder and probably an open or 1000 race depending who you race with :upyeah:

8. I take it you've got a decent life insurance policy then? Haha

9. Endurance sounds very appealing

10. Nope cashed it all in so as to enjoy the rest of my life. Im going owing someone not the richest man in the graveyard:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  11. @royalwithcream Will point you in the right direction. Daves a great and has a lot of knowledge!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Find me on Facebook Paul Bradbury and I'll stick you in contact with Spence who runs the army teams. He can give you loads of advice and stuff, good guy who'll happily help :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. DesmoDue looks a lot of fun and right down your alleyway. My advice would be to just get out there and do it and have fun now rather than waiting and building it up too much.

I've had a right roller coaster with starting racing this year which to be quite honest has taken away a lot of my motivation. Bought a race ready R6 which I high sided at 120mph in Jerez at the end of February. Damage wasn't too bad and got it ready for the first Thundersport race. The first round at Donnington was epic; a big high side in the first race followed by a manic bike rebuild before the afternoon race, then some amazing races that I did quite well in the next day. The second race at Snetterton I blew my engine on the practice day, I then missed the next two rounds at Mallory and Cadwell literally the day before each event (after paying for them) due to further problems with getting it fixed which was a right moral killer. The next round is Rockingham next weekend but I'm probably working so likely will miss that but really want to do Anglesey in August. Toying with just doing the Sunday but it's a lot of work for a single days racing.

I was seriously considering racing the Panigale but very glad I didn't as even the R6 has probably cost me £10k in repairs and it's only July! The Ducati would have likely been double that. The Desmodue bikes looks much more economical to run.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Sounds such fun. Very stress free and cheap as chips.... not.... Think I'll stick to track days and bike polishing. And general showing off of course.

15. Dave does like to do it the hard way tho ;)

Desmo Due: 62hp, tyres last a couple of rounds, wets allowed, fast guts are doing 55 brands Indy/ 2'16 snetterton 300, less fast 10-20 secs less. Bike c2-3k ready to go. No warmers allowed so no power issues, gazebo all you need.

4K pa plus bike depending on your travel and crash costs. Many bikes are not monster or SS looking any more either.

Or race a 400, bike £2k, wets/warmers/ 52 brands/2'10 maybe snetterton, would imagine more to run simply because more tyres and things like a genie may be needed. 600 would be same, but more tyre for sure.

:)

16. I didn't know warmers were not allowed. What tyres do they use? Must be trashing them surely?

17. Qualifier 2 I think and wets now as they could get a suitable all weather tyre like they used to have.

Haven't raced for 5 years (!!) but I know the guys at the mid pack get thru maybe a set every 2nd round. Some go longer. That will be test day plus 4 races x2. And iirc it's c£160 per pair

18. That's good going, I wouldn't mind a tyre bill like that :)

19. I raced minitwins a few years ago, like you inters/fast group at a trackday. Bought a bike that was set up already for £3,500 a set of spare wheels for £250 and did a season and a half. Great time overall as I managed to keep it upright and eventually sold the bike for what I bought it for.
    Race weekends take up 3-4 days which is what actually ended it for me. Cost wise minitwins are great on tyres so an new set every two-three weekends. I reckon with entry, fuel, accomadation and travel a weekend was costing me £750-800 which when you consider the quite limited time on track trackdays are a lot cheaper.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information