1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking Of Buying A 600ss...

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Paul Harmsworth, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Hi,

After 30 years bike less I am thinking of buying a 600SS. To be honest I probably won't ride very often and it will literally be a a cafe "cruiser".

I am going to see this one, see pic, it has extensive history. But has some fairing damage. Its done 21000 km or about 15,000 miles.
    [​IMG]
    My question is what slide would cause the fairing damage? how concerned should I be about something bent that I can't see with my eye?
    Now the seller says "the fairing damage was there when they bought it (six years ago)" but I am not sure that is credible. If I had dropped a pretty shiny red thing I would have sorted this. As I think most people would,

Also if you have had one of these for years and paid for all the right maintenance why would you sell it?

Regards

Paul

2. Paul, your picture is too small for me to see the damage, but the side panels are held on at easily bend places, the rear bolt is on a short tube which can bend at the frame end, and the front is on the subframe, which is very easily bent. Id have to see better pictures to help you more Im afraid, but I hope this gives you an idea of what to look for.

I dont worry too much myself about history, as I do all my own maintenace, but thats just me. Ian

3. How much us he asking ? If I'm not being rude...
    The 600ss doesn't fetch a lot even in fine form... not trying to put you off in any way but depending on your budget, I'd go for the 900...they can be had for 2.5 -4 ish depending on spec and are a great bike...

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. If you are really keen on a smaller displacement Ducati I have a 620 monster that I'm thinking of letting go of... only due to the fact i have more bikes than I can afford to run now...
    It's not in the best condition looks wise but is a peach mechanically. .
    And It will be cheap, as I got it cheap...

5. Is he not based in knackwurst land;),,,so collection/delivery could be a problem:thinkingface:

6. True that... excuse my folly...

7. ..........are you on your second bottle already:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. As above, 600ss even in great condition is only a £1200-1500 bike. That looks like (in a very small picture) a £500-800 as best

9. Agree with above regarding pricing, but dont discount the 750ss, not much more cost than a 600ss and a far sweeter bike IMO.
    Oh... and go for an earlier non ie model, much prettier...also IMO:D

• Agree Agree x 2

10. Full fairings too not those silly half things (in red)

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Go find a 900ss for that money. Looks a shed.

12. Having seen the larger picture it still doesn't tell me how hard the impact was, but it would have had to have been a slide to expose the glass mat.

Behind that point would be a cast aluminium bar which sticks out from the cylinder head to keep the fairing correctly located.....be a good idea to to see if it is broken.

However, I note there are more than just the one bit of damage all around the bike......it looks like it has had some rough treatment.

As others have said, leave it and find a 750 or 900.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Unless you've ridden any of the SS models, certainly the 750 & 900 of 90's vintage, you should be very wary of the poor steering lock they have. I assume the 600's will be the same.
    The unwary will most certainly be on the floor when making low speed, tight turns unless they exercise caution !

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Re the consensus on pricing , Can someone show me where to buy a good one for 12-1500 ? Or even one that needs work for less - I’ve been looking , but the ones I’ve seen advertised are optimistically priced shall we say

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Did they sell?

I know a race bike, well built, all the right kit, for about 1200

16. Great price, 1500 is tops for a really nice one. They just arent worth more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Many thanks for the help!

18. Many thanks for the advice. I assume you are talking hairpins. Is that correct.

19. Hairpins, U-turns, tight junctions - the steering lock is really tight (including the 600ss as I test rode one many years ago) so easy to drop if not careful

Do Not Sell My Personal Information