1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking Of Getting A D16 - Advice Please

Discussion in 'D16 Desmosedici RR' started by Saalagora, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Not sure on the advice about getting one after number 800. I had 14XX, as did a mate and we both had serious problems. Ducati tend to number limited run bikes randomly. So maybe the last 700 were built differently ? Be interested to know more about that.

In my case

Rebuilt engine followed by a replacement engine. Oil usage in my case was 500ml every 300miles. I had it analysed after the replacement engine and it contained

Silicon - so dirt
    Coolant - porous bores
    Petrol - resulting from coolant getting into the oil and the oil washing past the rings.

Each time I took it back to the dealer to say that it was only getting worse, the CO was miles out.

The collars for the valves were £65 8 years ago. There are 64 of those. The crank costs £6500 and the engine £21000. Throttle bodies £7k. All 8 years ago.

It's eye watering. As is the acceleration.

I know of at least one dealer who won't sell them due to their warranty liability through sale of goods act.

Great to ride though. As has been said. It's an event.

If I thought I could get a reliable one, I would buy one, but I am not convinced I could. Some are of course. Some aren't though.

A 1299Pani is a better bike, but it's not a Desmo. Only a Desmo is a Desmo and they are just special. My next bike will likely be a 1299 Base Pani and I will add Ohlins TTX and Ohlins fork cartridge. Or wait for what I reckon will be an L4 in 2018.

#41 749er, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. I rode the Desmosedici for Ride magazine not long after the launch.
    I've just looked at my notes to refresh my memory and can tell you that it is an incredible machine.
    It needed a really firm push on the bars (particularly at low speed) to turn, and felt alarmingly vague, but as everything warmed up, it just got better and better. The sound, particularly under the canopy of a filling station is wonderful! The only drawback I could think of is the high cost of ownership should you want to ride it often.

I've owned most of the large capacity sports bikes over the years, but the most fun I have ever had, was on the last model Aprilia RS250. I've owned two of them. Incredible handling and 70 hp in a featherweight chassis. You learn to ride again to keep it in the power band and the corner speed is astonishing.
    People say they are fragile, but if you warm them up properly, use good oil, refresh the top end at 9000 miles and don't over rev too often, they will provide you with a seriously quick, involving and reliable ride.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information