1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This Winters Project...99% finished.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by DrDuke, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Hi All, pretty much all stock 750ss...engine totally stock, with new clutch, new rings, valve shims & seals etc....on the swingarm,belt covers and a few odd bits of plastic, I went with a carbon effect process known as Aquaprint (AquaPrint Design - water transfer printing from Slovakia - YouTube).
    The work was done by me for a pal of mine, who has owned this 1994 750ss since 1996, so it holds some sentimental value for him, and he just wanted to give it a nice face lift....and for me as it happens as it was the first Duke I ever rode. The 1% to finish the bike off is a Corbin seat, lead time is 3 months, so another month to wait on that.
    to this 2.JPG

and this 3.JPG

and this 2.jpg

and this 1.JPG

from this 1.JPG

from this 1.JPG

and this 1.JPG

and this 2.jpg

and this 3.JPG

to this 2.JPG

2. Very nice Eoin......now for all the help and advice I have given you, can you do the same with mine?

PS....for the 750 and 600 Ess-esses, I would change the bolts holding the rear brake caliper to the ally plate...the OEM 20mm ones aren't really long enough and don't quite use all the thread in the plate, hence they get stripped easily......Try 25mm bolts and trim them down a bit if necessary.

AL

3. Al...sent it over to me...all parts and sundries are at your cost.

I will check the brake caliper...I may have done that already...but now you have planted a doubth.

4. Tidy job Eoin, are the outer engine casings powder coated ?

5. Yes Ian...figured it was more robust than paint...frame and wheels painted.

6. I'm getting the outer casings powder coated satin black on the SL, but going to spray the main engine silver, like I did on the old SS. Not certain if I'm going to have the heads and barrels powder coated or Just spray them myself at this point. That motor looks good though, nice one.

7. I sprayed the main engine block, and heat resistant paint on the cylinders...but with the heads I got the bead blasted...back to raw ally...came up as new, easy to
    keep clean, wipe a little baby oil into them (no comments please Al).

8. Another Eoin project hits the streets......a nice renovation Eoin.......

9. Ah Nog me olde pal..how are you doing fella?

10. I'm stunned by those pictures, can't believe a secondhand bike can look so good.

Can I ask...what kind of financial outlay would a job like that cost? You don't have to answer of course, but I would be interested to find out.

11. I'm well thanks Eoin.......hope you are too......has the Supermono rep come out this year yet ?

12. Hi Eoin. How are you?
    Steve.

13. Figaro...it all depends on how much of the work you can do yourself....and how anal you want to be about it.
    I changed all wheel bearings, belts, piston rings, clutch, slave cylinder seals, new disks up front, dyna coils, all bolts
    replaced with stainless steel,carbon hugger, new tyres, total strip down of the bike, only top end on the engine done,
    fairings stripped, repaired and new decals applied and then a clear coat applied, top yoke polished, along with the rear
    disk bracket and original cans...and much more that at the moment I have forgotten about...including the Corbin seat,
    which is not shown in the pictures...total parts outlay and any work I had to pay for was Euro 4000...a lot of money
    and to be honest the bike is not worth that, but it had a lot of sentimental value to both me and the owner, its been knocking
    around my circle since it was two years old, and had been lying up for the last 4 years.....it was crying out to be done...but as
    you say it does not look like a second hand bike...the number plate is what gives it away....the best thing now is that it gets used
    and enjoyed again.

14. Hey steve...I'm great thanks...a little bored I need a new project...and of course some cash to fund it.

Eoin

15. Dave...yes the 900ss was out just once in February it was 13 degrees over here...we have had a really mild winter...I think we have had ground frost just
    twice in Clane over the winter...compared to last year when you were over, you think you were in a different country altogether...mind you wait till you see, as sure as shit smells...we will have a crap summer....mark my words.

16. To be honest, that's not as scary as I thought it might be. For my bike I'm only concerned about the aesthetics, in particular the engine, which really lets the bike down. However, as I rarely keep a bike for more than a year it would not pay me to go to such an extreme level of renovation. I can but dream, though.

17. Yes..understand. The engine to be fair is easy enough to do...a little time involved yes, but not a lot of cost. I would guess you could have it stripped, cleaned,painted and back in the bike in two weeks...working only in the evenings and maybe a Saturday thrown in for good measure.

18. Well the Corbin seat arrived yesterday...so I hurried home thinking it would be a 5 min job and the bike would be 99.99% finished...Was I wrong, so much so I just left the garage as I was too tired to start modifying
    brackets, and spacing out the locking mechanism, not to mention the seat stops, that rest on the frame were too long.
    Very disappointed to be honest, when you spend £300 on a seat, you expect it to at least fit correctly.
    Three hours it took me today to get the seat fitted...

750ss 3.jpg 750ss 2.jpg 7500ss 1.jpg

and it's still not 100%

750ss 3.jpg

750ss 2.jpg

7500ss 1.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information