1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This Years Project -- 2000 996 Road / Track Bike

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Tim K, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Roast potato...boiled potato

2. Yep, big front 17” front wheel with 290mm discs. I have the 16.5” front wheel with 320mm discs but according to better informed people, the 290 discs make for a better turn in!

#82 Tim K, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  3. I’m just building a trick bike because I have the bits and I can.
    The colour of the rear arm and the type of air box are irrelevant to me for this project, I just wanted to remain as period as I could with the best parts available to me.
    As time goes on I’ll add more trick parts as and if they become available.
    It’s nice to have freedom to do as I wish without the frustration of restoring road bikes to factory spec.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Chalk and cheese

5. Difference Between Cast and Billet
    What is the difference between cast aluminum and billet aluminum? What do you mean you don't know...? Alright well then CPM Industries is here to help. Hopefully by now you understand how aluminum is casted, but if you are new to our blog don't worry, we will review. To create an aluminum casting, one must first create a mold of the part that is to be created. The mold is formed when the pattern is pushed into chemically binded sand leaving the impression of the part to be casted. Once the mold is complete the molten aluminum is poured into the mold and allowed to cool and harden. Once the molten aluminum solidifies, the mold is pulled apart and out comes the desired part.

On the other hand, billet aluminum is formed in a completely different manner. To understand completely how a billet aluminum part is made, it is necessary to understand what a billet is. A billet is a solid block of aluminum (or any material) with the size depending on the size of your desired part. The larger the desired part, the larger the billet. Contrary to casting, billet parts are created by removing excess material from the billet, essentially the part is carved out of solid aluminum.

6. Top link in my rear arm is billet and the arm itself is cast magnesium.

7. exactly, glad to find someone that knows what they are talking about...:):upyeah:;)

8. Would be difficult to hollow out a swinging arm without welding it back together!

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. exactly!

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. Or here...
    eBay USA item :223322737045

11. What a great project, enjoy it.

12. Need more pics

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. its why he walks so upright

14. Unlike lil @finm o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Engine arriving tomorrow but here are the heads being fitted as I write. IMG_7287.JPG IMG_7288.JPG IMG_7289.JPG IMG_7290.JPG IMG_7291.JPG IMG_7292.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Assume that’s a date stamp on the piston head? How cool :upyeah:

Especially as it’s my birthday date :astonished:

17. :thinkingface::joy::poop: valve...:):):):):)

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information