1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Those Damn Mirrors

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by JohnJ, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Get rid of them altogether, motorbikes look a whole heap better without them (i appreciate this doesnt appease some peoples sense of being followed by the plod). :)

2. Riding without mirrors is far too dangerous and bloody stupid in my opinion. At the very least a bar end is needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. There is make of crash helmet that has a mirror built in just above your forehead. I had one for a while and found it to be pretty good although it does depend what type of bike you ride . At the time I had an old Pantah and a Moto Guzzi 1200. It was rubbish on the Pantah but great on the Guzzi.
    It is called a Reevu. I went back to a Shoei when it was time to change though as it was just a bit too heavy. Not googled to check if they have got any lighter but will do when it is next time to change.
    Doesnt make Duke mirrors any less crappy but does cover some blind spots.

4. so many variables i dont think you can say that tbh

5. I have to disagree. As a motorcyclist you should be as aware of as much that is going on around you as possible.
    On a German autobahn a LH mirror is essential to check on what's coming behind before you move over to the LH lane. With the possible speed differentials it's impossible to be sure that it's safe to move over with just a glance over your shoulder.
    I also like to know what's following me :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hi All
    A friend of mine fitted a rear view camera to his Panhandle.
    Just a thought
    Greg

7. There are other forums, a poll has shown that the 'vast majority' are unhappy with their mirrors. Only one vote per member, almost every motorcycle test has mentioned the mirror issue.

It is 'rumoured' that Ducati may actually be doing something to improve things.

8. Mine Are shite can't see a thing

9. Just had 1 of mine replaced at the dealer during the 1st service...Was actually loose in stalk. TBH i wasn't sure if i should get it done. Yes the mirrors vibrate badly and most of the time everything is just a blur in them but i found the loose mirror was actually a better blur seemed to act as a damper! Dealer said that the rivet had broken? Your guess is as good as mine . Now both mirrors as tight and everything is back to being 1 big blur!

10. Lucky for those who do not have this safety problem. I have a 2020 Supersport bought in July and the mirrors are still crap. My dealer replaced them at first service but they still vibrate excessively and you can see no detail of anything following above 50mph. Equally concerning is the big blind spot behind you. Ducati need to get the fairing stiffeness and mountings sorted to reduce vibration and extend the mirror stalks.

11. Well Dave if you have all the answers then why not take them directly to Ducati, I am sure that their trained and knowledgeable designers will listen to you. You call it a safety problem, but are mirrors a legal requirement on a motorcycle? One of my bikes has none.

12. Poor mirrors predjudice my safety and make riding harder than it should be on a premium brand motorcycle. Its got nothing to do with legality.

• Like Like x 1
  13. One of mine is just about acceptable, the other not so much... I tried to take it apart but found the riveted joint to be the issue and had no success in trying to compress the rivet head some more.

14. I had one of the first Supersports, mirrors were a huge problem for me. I made sure I notified Ducati, Ducati UK and the dealer. Just before I sold it a set of 'improved mirrors' were sent to the dealer, supplied and fitted free of charge. The result was quite outstanding. Still not perfect but it made them usable.
    Try your dealer for a new set, looking at both old and new I couldnt see any physical difference but they were considerably better.

Legally they do not comply with EU or US vehicle legislation, I cant remember the actual regulation but they do not pass the test.

15. I took mine apart as well and like you 2Fast could not find a way of reducing the play. I guess some play is essential to allow the mirrors to fold but it does appear a bit excessive. I have complained to both dealers in my locality (Hampshire) and Moto Rapido recently told me that they were not aware of any improvements in the pipe line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I wonder if the new version announced this evening will have working mirrors?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information