1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Thoughts On 1098s For A Multistrada Owner

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Dennis T., Jul 2, 2017.

1. I'm on my 6th or so year of Ducati Ownership, and I'm on my 4th Multistrada.
    I currently have a pair of Pikes Peak bikes (2012 & 2016) and I've always fancied owning a pre- Panigale Trellis Framed SuperBike. I toyed with the idea of an Aircooled bike but nothing prior to the Multistrada 1000, or the Hypermoto really speak to me and like I said I want a proper Superbike.
    Originally it had to be the 999S. Something about that bike just stirred my soul. They are few and far between here now ( a well cared for S model anyway), and the 1098's have started popping up in the same price bracket.
    im going to look at a 5K original mile garage kept bike this evening, or tomorrow morning.
    Its a 2008 S that appears mostly stock. It also looks like it may have sat relatively unused for the last two years (2015 inspection still showing)
    It won't be a daily rider or even a track bike ill own it as garage candy and periodic weekend blasts. no more than a couple thousand miles a year I'm sure.
    what is the reality of owning a bike like this? The 1098 is right when Ducati first started making the service intervals longer, yet they are still half of the Multistradas Desmo interval.
    The machine sure is something to look at, If I were single it may live in the living room on display.
    I have attached a picture of the bike I'm going to look at. Im not sure the owner is a true Ducati die-hard or just a bike guy in general.

00f0f_bE9K1Sc7h8z_1200x900.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Looks good - but personally I would go for an 1198 / 1198S / SP (last of the line)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Two areas immediately spring to kind. UK petrol has a minimum of 5% ethanol in it and long term, ethanol causes the composite petrol tank to expand. Evidence of this is how close the steering damper mounting support on the frame is to the tank. Don't know what US petrol has in it though. Secondly, the gearbox does not like a quick shifter and I believe it is either 2nd or 3rd gear that gives up the ghost. Although mine is an R, I love it. I agree with Exige, the 1198 did sort the 1098 niggles that some (but not all) bikes suffered with. Looks a nice bike and if the price is realistic, I don't think you will be disappointed. Andy

4. US has more of a problem due to 10% Ethanol

5. We have 10% Ethanol here, and yes its a problem. so much in fact that there has already been a class action lawsuit on the first gen Multistrada tanks. (damn Lawyers... Ducati was taking care of folks prior to the settlement).
    The money is right on, enough below book that I won't get buried in the bike, and I can shift it easily if its not for me.
    Im going to go look and see what its about. if its not for me I may start finally looking at Monsters. Although they aren't nearly as sexy.

6. I bought it this evening... it came with the nice indoor cover, the passenger seat and pegs (never installed) and all the paperwork dating to the original sale. Looks and feels like a new bike. Bought it for roughly $3500 Below book value. Cant lose on this one.

• Like Like x 6
Do Not Sell My Personal Information