1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts On Puncture Repair?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by andyholland, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Is it a 180 or 190?

2. #22 BobTheBounder, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  3. If i was you Andy , repair punture with internal patch and plug type permanent repair. All will be good. But obviously your call. I'll come from Leeds if you don't want tyre. X

4. Only fear on a modern plug would be a slow leak. Though unlikely. Plugged through and patched from the inside I wouldn’t worry.

5. I dont think <<-- Key word there... That they can be both plugged and patched, can they? A patch on the inside needs a roughed up smooth surface doesn't it? If a plug was sticking through wouldn't that interfere?

I would trust either OFF the track, especially down in the valley there. The inner patch should be better when done right.

Rex

6. Mushroom shaped plugs do both, the stalk feeds through the hole and the head gets cemented to the inside around the tyre. Then the air pressure holds the whole shebang in place more securely than anything else

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. What noonooo said. But, again, if you don't want tyre ill come get it. Im looking for excuses to get out riding since I wont be working again till Jan. Smileyface/sadface.

8. Personally I would repair it and not even give it a second thought.

I've ridden god knows how many miles all over Europe solo and two up, and generally ridden repaired tyres until they are no longer legal. All of my friends do the same. We are quite progressive riders too, so the tyres get a hard life.
    In 20 odd years I've only had two repairs fail, both of which were repaired in the rain, so the adhesive didn't do its job properly.

New repair technology is far superior to older repairs. Even car dealers now repair tyres with the sticky string stuff rather than proper vulcanising patches for minor repairs.
    The sticky string is great.
    Stop'n'Go is a good product too, but takes a bit of getting used to. Do not be tempted to over apply lube to the mushroom, as it will increase the chance of it failing. Also do not ream the hole out very much. It needs to be a very tight fit.

I'm fortunate to have my own tyre machine, so get to look at the tyres removed. I can honestly say as long as the tyre has not been ridden any distance while flat, there are no internal signs of delamination or anything else.
    I also have various sizes of 'permanent' internal tyre repair mushrooms. There is obviously less chance of these failing if fitted correctly (which I occasionally do if I notice the puncture whilst at home), but I have had one leak. I tried fitting a mushroom 3 times to one tyre and just could not get it to seal properly, despite grinding away the inside and fitting according to procedure.

In order to fit an internal 'permanent' plug you need to remove the temporary repair.
    There are different diameter plugs, as it must match the size of the hole the damage (and potentially the temporary repair) has created.

The reason the likes of Dunlop will tell you that you need to replace the tyre is because they will not have had repaired tyres tested and approved. Michelin have done so, and will therefore warrant their tyres for a single repair.

I've patched run flat car tyres too. The only reason garages will not do this is because they cannot determine how far you have driven on it whilst under inflated. I've heard stories of a person driving back from southern France on a run flat to have it repaired in his local tyre place (who not surprisingly refused when they heard what he had done).

Also, for car tyres you can buy side wall repair patches. Not many places will want to fit them as they would rather sell you a tyre, but they work well and can be fitted on anything above a 80 profile car tyre. I've used these on my 4x4 tyres before now :blush:

Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Thanks again all for the further replies.

I’ll try weigh it up tomorrow. The tyre shop who fitted it are gutted for me and have offered kindly to fit a new one at cost with no fitting fee and to collect/deliver it (loose). Given that and the time/distance travelled saved, it may not be that much difference!

It’s just what Dunlop replied with.

10. Holy thread resurrection.:thinkingface:

11. I would have no qualms about using that tyre again after a proper repair with a mushroom headed patch vulcanised from the inside of the tyre..

5437C632-90D6-4389-B4C9-D954B3AE1CC6.jpeg

I buy my plugs in bulk ( and no, they’re not butt-plugs @DucatiScud :joy: ! ) have done loads of repairs for myself and friends, as long as it’s not too near the sidewall, I just plug them and get the remaining full life out of the tyre..no problems :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I would want to be sure my insurance company couldn't use it as a get out of jail free card.

13. Had tyres plugged by the AA at the side of the road on two occasions. Went on to use both until they wore out, one of them on a couple of track days.

14. For tyres that are "V" rated and above post #20 (via Dunlop apparently) is relevant, however National Tyres say :-

"Any tyres rated ‘V’ and above can only have one puncture repair in the lifetime of the tyre."

so it's a grey area (npi).

15. so Michelin say:-

"The table above indicates that :
    . It is not recommended to repair a motorcycle tyre more than twice
    • A tyre with a speed rating below VR can be repaired up to a maximum puncture diameter of 6mm
    • A tyre with a speed rating of ZR can be repaired up to a maximum puncture diameter of 3mm"

:upyeah: - it would still be good to get a definitive statement with regard to the law wouldn't it? :thinkingface:

16. At first glance, it would appear that there is no “law” but there is a British Standard, the latest is BSAU159f, which states repairs on Z rated tyres are not allowed. In this article, https://motorcycleinfo.co.uk/motorcycle-tyre-tire-puncture-repair-advice-index44e6/#:~:text=Only%20two%20repairs%20per%20tyre,up%20to%203mm%20is%20allowed, it says Michelin is the only motorcycle tyre manufacturer to use the previous standard, BSAU159e, which gives a spec for repairing Z rated tyres. Legal minefield or what ? Andy

17. Exactly this.. ^

18. Repaired a PowerRS rear on my hyper 2 years ago....its still on there - never lost any pressure and top ended it a couple of times....

19. I used to regularly get 180 section tyres repaired properly with a mushroom plug. Rode for 10’s of thousand of miles with no worries.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information