1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Thoughts?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Leesey, Mar 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. And 998’s :blush:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. well the insurance have sent me a cheque so won’t be long now.
    I suppose I just don’t want to buy something that’s a bit like. A gremlin if that makes sense (like I did with my old bandit).

since deciding on a 916 rather than a 996 I have seen the following

i know I’ve linked it before but what would people pay for the below
    https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1205890
    he has said that he wants £9k for it

this
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-DUC...101175?hash=item288fe8f677:g:F-YAAOSwaJFeY6YL

Or
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1996-DUC...985955?hash=item2ae3790663:g:FokAAOSwcMNeZ3Z~

I have a big email about the last one that it doesn’t have full service history and it has been in their workshop for around 12 years while the previous owner was deciding what to do with it.

thanks in advance Jon

3. The last one, is it me or does something not look right with the frame under the yoke? The welding looks super messy?

I would get the newest one personally, the financial troubles imho affected build quality on earliest ones

4. If you are set on a 916 deffo go for the earlier graphics and stick to as original as possible.
    Check the screen and all fairing panels are dated correctly - get the seller to remove for inspection so you can see if any repairs have been made.
    Try and get a mono (SP or SPS) if possible.
    Go for an early model with the Ducati Racing text on the rear wheel - better investment for the future.
    If possible go for a 1994 bike.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Out of those 3 Id try and knock the one at Moto Technica down to 8k and go for that one.

It all depends how comfortable you are doing work yourself, if you are then you could hold out for a real bargain like @Expat Jack did and refurbish it yourself. At least that way you become intimate with it.

6. It will be a biposto as I will need a pillion seat and the sp or sps definitely don’t come in budget. Where are the dates located on the panels?

• Like Like x 1
  7. I had seen that but was put off by the state of the rear shock or is that not a major issue?
    My history is with classic cars (I have had numerous minis and also a mk3 triumph spitfire) not bikes hence all the questions.

8. If the add is honest it sounds good - standard shocks are cheap. Just bargain hard, people are asking too much currently for base models - they are trying to get you to pay for the next 2 to 5 years price rise ;)
    Fairing dates are on the inside of each panel - a clock with 12 month pop mark segments and a year date in the middle.

9. Thanks.
    I have been bargaining hard with some so far and been told no. So I’ve just moved on to the next one. Apart from the shock that one looks good I think (I had looked at it numerous time) apart from the ad says 12months mot and it expired in 2015 with no current one in place. I was thinking around £7k ish for it?
    I’ve emailed him with lots of questions and will phone him tomorrow.

10. Sounds good - I was thinking Max £7K

11. Just to give you an idea on the shock.
    You can get a good second hand one for <£100 (I got a shock and forks for that money and have cannibalised the forks with the ones on the bike to make a good set). Or, get a nitron shock, improve the handling. Depends how stock you want it. A full shock refurb would be in the order of £150-££180 but if there is oil on the shock shaft it’s probably past repair. The spring is best replaced rather than re powdered. The other parts can be anodised again depending on how much you want to spend.
    Simple job to replace the shock.
    Personally if I had that budget I would be going 998 unless your heart is set on a 916.
    Good luck. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. The date can often also be stamped in ink in the format 11 Mar 1997, which ever it is they are easy enough to spot. It’s not necessarily detrimental if the date doesn’t match the bike just you’ll know if anything’s been changed and then ask the question, why. Also, be aware the dates may not always tell the full story. Eg I have a 748 I’ve had since new in 1999. On the underneath of the seat unit there’s an ink stamped date of April 99 but when I took the whole unit to pieces and removed everything there was a second earlier 98 date. The thing must have been hanging around in stock in the factory and was redated when it actually came to be used.

@Exige ‘s description of the date will be the date it was actually moulded.

2203FC7E-927A-4D6F-AD65-968DDBA56617.jpeg

13. Oh, and one more thing. You ain’t gonna be carrying a pillion anymore than the one time. After that first time they’ll be extremely reluctant to get on it again IME. You sit what seems 3 feet above the rider with nothing to hold onto.

14. Indeed, the panels are usually 6 months older than the bike, sometimes much older - but never newer unless they have been changed after a crash or such like. Never seen the stamped dates and don't know what they signify :thinkingface:

15. When it was taken out of stock perhaps:thinkingface:

16. Never known that to happen :thinkingface: I was thinking a paint stamp date maybe - is it common for Ducati?

17. The ones in the photo are on the underneath of a seat pad so no paint. I’ve a couple more dotted around the body panels as well. If I remember I’ll take some pics next time they’re off.

18. The bike in your final link has IMO been sprayed in the wrong red and has been polished to an inch of its life. Way, way, way too shiny. The state of the shock in the carandclassics link is typical and easily remedied with a replacement spring and a shock refurb. Andy

19. I had been speaking to someone about a 998 with 7800 miles a quick shifter fitted, black wheels and it had a Showa rear shock? He had it on car and classic and still does for £9995 and it was on eBay for 8995 but he insists he wants 8995 minimum not what I was offering him.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1203158

I’m not dead set on a 916 however I think (and may be wrong) that it will be the safer bet financially due to it being the original of the series. Again I’m not buying it as an investment but if it won’t lose money or make a bit (if that makes sense) the. I would rather that.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information