1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Throttle Spacers

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Groundhog, Sep 16, 2018.

1. It's not about technicalities, comparisons with other bikes or placebos. It comes down to whether or not it works for the individual rider. For me it's an improvement and does improve smoothness, therefore it's worth doing.

2. That's what I'm saying. Some people like a bit slack @ the throttle, others don't. That's all, nothing to do with ACTUAL smoothness of a throttle response. If you still think otherwise, please, be so kind and explain to us how it could physically smooth the action throttle rheostat by removing some slack before the rheostat is actually activated?

3. I'm not saying it makes the throttle smoother. I'm saying it makes the bike easier to ride smoothly...big difference. Or did I just imagine that?

4. If the spacer makes you ride the bike smoother - that's great! But saying that the spacer smooths the throttle response is nonsense. Throttle response does not depend on a amount of slack at the throttle. In fact, the engine does not response to the throttle until you actually activate the throttle. And the engine doesn't care whether or not there was any slack before that!
    Sorry, but all these "smoothness" is just in your head or the way you handle the throttle.

#144 ZR1000A1, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  5. ALL DVT models, 1200 and 1260 are Fly by Wire....no throttle cables as such :)

6. By smoothness I'm meaning finesse of control. You open the throttle very slightly you expect a response, with the slack in there, from a closed throttle this isn't precise and you can get nothing until you open a bit further. Effectively; nothing - nothing - response, where you're expecting nothing - response. Call it what you will but to me that is smoothness and response. Yes, fuelling glitches are something different and nothing to do with the physical precision of the twist-grip but can also be likened to smoothness and throttle response. It's subjective but to me it's an improvement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Anyone reading this with a view to buying these must be nuts. Go to an electrical wholesalers & buy Helemen rubbers. They are what you put over a screened cable end to finish the termination & cover the screening. 100 in a bag for a couple of quid. They are 20mm long & just need cutting down to the req length. Rs components sell them too. From 1 bag you could make a few hundred sets of these. Your all been ripped off.

8. Ah. It's a shame that the dvts and 1260's dont have cables . So if you want no slack you have to I resort a bit of overpriced plastic gubbins. do what stevei said and bosch in any old bit of plastic.

9. Anyone that doesn't have these spacers are missing out.
    Kevin is doing us a favor with his business. I have made a leap of faith with the Panigale.
    Now with the Monster and Multistrada they're a no brainier.
    This is a beautiful product that really makes a difference.

#149 DarR, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Over priced, well yes, I agree. However, it's made for purpose which a cobbled together solution isn't. For many applications a DIY adaptation would be fine. For me adding something not designed for this purpose could raise the odds that it might potentially wear/come apart/break and jam my throttle... no thanks.

Sure, the makers have decided on a price point to maximise their profit considering the relative average affluence of riders who own recent fly by wire throttle Ducatis. If this product was for a Japanese bike I'd wager it would cost less than £20 which would still leave them with a huge profit margin. It is what it is, they no doubt have the patent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bought mine months back and still sitting on my desk. decided that i was looking for a solution for a problem i didn't really have. unopened, anyone want them for £20

12. Is this the kit for the 2018 1260?

13. yup

14. You could debate the semantics around the perceptions of 'smoothness' all day long and achieve the square root of FA!

Having fitted them, I will state that my bike is smoother and easier to ride. The spacers provide a smoother transition from off throttle to on.

If that is purely a work around to compensate for my ham-fistedness, then so be it.

Also worth pointing out that there is a marked difference between the throttle connection on the 1200 and the 1260. The spacers at worst 'cure' this and at best make it better than the original DVT.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Though you're saying 'them' not 'it' as if there's more than one spacer? The 1260 MT'S kit comprises one single spacer and the security torx bit. Some other models have two spacers...

16. Apologies for the sloppy English; absolutely just the one spacer and torx bit :).............though to be fair one spacer and torx bit is plural 'them' :)

17. I think we can read in-between the lines when some have written erroneously that the spacer smooth the throttle response.
    It does not. Nor does it make a difference once you're on the gas.
    What it does do however is make the throttle more "responsive" coming off zero.

• Like Like x 2
  18. I don’t own a ‘Fly by Wire’ Ducati, however I think the word you’re all clambering for is ‘progressive’ not responsive.

Think I’ll tick to fly by cable

19. The throttle spacers removes that 2~3 degree delay / slack. You're on the gas "instantly" when you twist.

20. I bought a Throttle spacer for my 1260 from Cornerspeed Ducati last week following a recommendation from Bumkin when in the Dolomites.
    I was complaining about not being able to hold a smooth throttle on some of the hairpins and he told me of this device he had fitted to his 1260.
    What a difference a little bit of plastic makes, OK it is very expensive for what you get but trust me it is worth every penny!

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information