1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ti Bolts Into Mag Wheels

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by chizel, Aug 4, 2020.

1. hi team!
    as mentioned in another thread, i am fitting new discs to my mag wheels and most likely using ti bolts (although stainless have also been ordered as a backup) . i am wondering if i need to use something specific for fitment as in loctight or copper grease or?
    any advice would be great.

2. oh and anyone no the torque setting?

3. If you're using Titanium please don't use copper grease irrespective of what the bolt seller says. Ideally use an assembly paste like the Pankl grease which @nelly can supply. For ten quid just buy some - it lasts forever and you only need a tiny wee drop on the thread.

Titanium has no natural lubricity of its own so will be prone to galling if not treated with respect.
    If you get that 'notchy' sensation as you're winding it in then it's starting to gall. Unwind immediately or else you risk an nice hybrid part!

The pankl one it actually acts as a torque enhancer so you may want to torque to the lower end of the given range rather than the higher figure, otherwise you could strip your threads.

Please don't use copper grease because if it's decent copper grease not just some molly grease with some pigment and glitter in there then if your lovely magnesium isn't surface treated or protected fully with a chromate or similar you run the risk of it over time accelerating the risk of corrosion of the mag alloy, which happens to be right up there on the galvanic scale, and will become your unwitting sacrificial anode. :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Front brake disk bolts 25nm

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stainless are also prone to galling / picking up so lube and be careful whichever way you go. If you do some research (and yo think it may be an issue) you can get some spray (I can't remember what now) to protect the interface between the mag wheel and stainless rotor - but that is probably overkill :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. nice one mate. i just had a loo. on ebay for this Pankl grease and nothing come up. would you have a lin. to the correct product?

7. I use this Wurth brake paste on fasteners

Unsure of the effect on mag.
    20200804_151612.jpg 20200804_151537.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. same for ti with this grease on it?

9. yup, but if you've got a range such as 25 - 28 say, go for the 25.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Why would you risk it. Ti picks up so easy and when it does your thread is gone. Also shear strength of Titanium as well as Stainless is a lot lower than even your standard 8.8 grade steel bolt. Your my 20 pence worth.

11. i hate the finish on standard bolts. i li.e the idea of ti but if the general view is its no good for this application, id not use it.

12. Think the 'k' on your typewriter is malfunctioning. ;);):p:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. It's brakes so I say safety first.

14. ya thin.?

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. hmmm... you've messed up my chi now dude.....

16. The part number is 944601829 It's the pankl grease for the stretch bolts on the Ti Rods used in the R engines. :)

17. @RickyX to the bolt stress calculation phone :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. sorry sev, part number? ducati part number? ive typed that into search and coming up with nothing..

19. Yes, and it does come up on Google, you typed it wrong and Nelly can get you it anyhoo :thinkingface:

20. well i cant find google for a start, im on yahoo.. also what did you put in? ducati then the part number? and, i will call nelly if i have to but im sure he has better things to do than post a pot of grease! some muppet can do that.. you dont stoc. it do ya? (spea.ing of muppets)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information