1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Time To Make A Decision

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Android853sp, Dec 18, 2019.

1. I have had my fair share of mileage and age related bits needing attention this year and with the news that the horizontal cylinder compression is at the lower end of the spec and the engine’s life is probably limited to about another 5 or 6 thousand miles, it’s time to choose a new (to me) every day/touring bike or rebuild what I’ve got.

Two major factors affecting that decision are of course my age, at 66 in 5 weeks time, I have to ask myself how long will I be physically fit enough to ride and as a pensioner, do I really want to spend funds that would be better directed at track days and other fun stuff whilst I’m relatively fit and healthy.

I like my 1200s Touring a lot and I’ve already replaced a lot of the running gear. Neither the Twin Spark nor the 1200 DVT offered any performance advantage over what I’ve got so the replacement would have to be the 1260. Mmmm, £14950 for an ex demo.

Had a long talk with the workshop to look at what a worst case scenario would be and the figures make a much more attractive option.

Much soul searching later, decision made, my Multistrada goes in to the workshop the first week in January for a full engine and gearbox rebuild.

First job will be engine out and fully dismantled to identify what is essential although I have already committed to re-plating both cylinders, new pistons and rings, new small end bushes, new big end shells and replacing all the bearings. Likely jobs will be super finishing the gear box and a full rebuild of the heads. As I have nothing better to do in January, I’ll be watching the rebuild intently so photos to follow. Andy

• Like Like x 19
  2. Would it be possible to source a lower mileage 1200 engine and slot that in? (If it’s cheaper option).

3. I had that conversation but felt that in the long run a ‘known’ engine was the better bet. I’m currently doing about 9000 miles a year so 3 years in with a used engine, I’d be looking at the issues I’ve currently got. Plus the overall costs look to be in the same ball park. Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  4. Ok. The only reservation I’d have had would be the provenance if a 2nd hand motor.

5. I look forward to pictures of the rebuild.
    I agree about rebuilding your engine as opposed to a second hand replacement. You'll feel great knowing that your engine is as good as it can be and fit for many more miles without a niggling worry in the back of your mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. what milage has it got on it?

7. The rebuild would be my preferred option also. You've got the bike how you want it, it's probably bought and paid for and given the age concern, an engine refresh rather than a compete new bike makes more sense. Looking forward to some pics

8. 35,000 of which about 25,000 has been done in the last 3 years. I think one of the main reasons is I use the bike 12 months of the year and although I’ve never been off road, it’s been ridden in the rain, through floods and fords so the horizontal cylinder has taken a battering. When all is said and done, this is a first gen 1200 so whilst I’m disappointed, I’m not surprised and I’ve had a lot less go wrong than some. Andy

9. Is it not more likely that the low compression is relating to valve seats than bores/rings, or is it using lots of oil too? That's still quite a low mileage for a complete rebuild, isn't it?
    It definitely sounds like rebuilding what you have is going to be better value than buying a replacement bike, though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Just run it til it blows then replace.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Chop it in for a V4R on PCP - no brainer :bucktooth:

Seriously, I'd do what you are doing too :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Inspection of the bore with an endoscope, revealed evidence oil passing the rings and yes, I agree, I would have hoped for more like 40,000 to 50,000 miles before seeing typical mileage related engine wear. I could probably have gone with just doing the horizontal cylinder but you never know what you are going to find so it is my decision to do a full rebuild. Andy

#12 Android853sp, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Quite a few do this on 911s. They have a hint of it (bore scoring or other known issue that actually only affects very small % of cars..), so spend 10k plus (!!) getting rebuilt. IMHO let the bugger blow: it will cost the same possibly but it’s down the road.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Exactly what I’d do.

15. I have a 748R, a 1098R and a V4 Speciale Magnesio in the garage but I need a bike I can ride for more than an hour without requiring assistance to dismount or visiting my Chiropractor :D Andy

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I’m currently planning to ride to Bruno for the Moto GP, tour the Eiffel Forest and do a gastronomic tour of the Maritime Alps with mates next year as well as doing my bit as an IAM Roadsmart Local Observer so need a reliable bike sooner rather than later. Andy

• Like Like x 3
  17. Sounds like a good decision Android.

As you may recall I had my engine rebuilt last year (2012 S, around 25k miles).
    The Horizontal cylinder started making 'I'm eating myself' noises whilst in the Pyrenees, and then making a fair amount of smoke.
    Compression was surprisingly still quite good.
    On tear down this turned out to be a bit of piston missing, so both bores, pistons, etc replaced.

Personally I think the short skirt pistons have a tendency to turn slightly in the bore when worn sufficiently to allow it.

If it helps I have a brand new barrel at home, and piston. I think from memory its missing the rings. I will pass it on for what I paid for it if your interested (need to check what that was :yum but pretty sure it was less than the piston alone would cost)
    I didnt use it as Ducati stumped up for half the cost of replacement parts in the end on mine.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Very generous of you John, thank you and I’d certainly appreciate a rain check on your offer once the engine has been stripped down and we know what the condition of the horizontal cylinder is. Sadly I don’t think Ducati will be beating a path to my door with any offer of help :( Andy

• Like Like x 1
  19. Something for you to watch over Chrimbo - it's an addictive series...god knows how much it's going to cost when finished.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. If you don't mind me asking Andy - and you don't have to answer, obviously - do you have a rough idea of what you expect the rebuild to cost?

Disappointing the engine didn't last longer - maybe that's asking too much of what is certainly a very high performance unit, when used day-in-day-out? I don't know. I get the feeling that in this age of PCP deals bikes tend to only need to last 4-5 years before they're obsolete anyway - high mileage must be unusual nowadays. I may be facing the same dilemma myself in a few years, having bought an Enduro just under a year ago and put 9000 miles on it without really trying.

All the best with your rebuild - I think I'd do the same as you. It'll make for a better long-term ownership experience, and you'll potentially end up with a bike that's as good as new.

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information