1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Wasting Buyers

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Messer, Apr 30, 2019.

1. And that's reasonable. In your position I'd likely ask the seller to cover the cost of re-advertising (in fact as the buyer I'd offer this as a minimum). The lost sale and lost time are speculative... so again, I'd personally take that on the chin.

Depends on the circumstances, if I'd asked the dealer to accept a deposit as an intent to buy - subject to me being able to get insurance or something like that - then I'd expect my deposit back if I couldn't get the insurance or whatever. If I'd simply said that the bike was perfect and I was unconditionally going to buy it and subsequently backed out then I'd understand them not refunding me.

Not trying to be a smart-arse or seeking to wind you up, just lessons I've learned the hard way or from others' mistakes over the years. What I might see as reasonable decent behaviour easily becomes assumption, and assumptions are a pretty quick path to misunderstandings and disagreements, sadness and stress.

(Didn't just mean you were angry BTW - more the thread tone)

GLWS - looks a nice bike. :)

2. Thanks

And this is the point, the deposit was taken on the bike being sold - not being ‘considered’

3. Show him his receipt, pocket the deposit and happy days! :)

(I know, I know... couldn't resist. Sorry :p)

• Like Like x 1
  4. I’m not keeping it, it’s not fair. I think it’s fair to take a small amount say 200 and draw a line through it

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. If the original buyer get's another Ducati and signs up to this site, he is not going to like all those comments!!:worried:

6. Fair is subjective. Life is not fair. Agreements are clear and whether they are fair or not is irrelevant (as far as they're legal and above board and you're not deceiving someone). If you'd taken a £2,000 deposit on the bike and explained that this was a non-returnable deposit then the buyer would likely have not left it. Certainly if you'd written him a signed receipt and had him countersign it then he'd have had to have been very sure he was going to either complete the sale or lose £2,000 if he backed out. Otherwise it's all arbitrary... If you decide that you're keeping £200 just because you think that is a reasonable sum and the buyer doesn't agree that he also thinks that's a reasonable sum then you're in dispute, and he/she may well seek recourse. From taking legal advice to lobbing a brick through your window (because people are hateful little fleshbags generally).

It's not my dispute though, so I'll wish you luck and pipe down now. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Just spoke to him again he’s got it in his mind that as it is an import it’s probably a French or Swiss model that is restricted and hence worth considerably less than the UK model.

I give up.

• WTF WTF x 1
  8. I’ve actually sent him the link. I’ve not been derogatory at all. Immmot is to name calling or flaming individuals life is too short

9. Give HIM 10% back

10. Its tidy again now, have been doing a mammoth decorating job in the house!! :joy::joy:

• Like Like x 1
  11. The buyer sounds like a right scatty fucker. Why would anyone lump a big deposit down on something they weren't sure about?

But you're right, it's not really fair to keep the daft twats 2k. People not involved will often give you hard ball advice, which is all fine and dandy. When you're not involved.... As mentioned above, you could wind up having you're windows bricked, car scratched, solicitors letters, fisticuffs etc.

If it were me, I'd give him his deposit back and move on from it. No biggie. Selling bikes and cars can turn into a right PITA, as you'll be acutely aware now.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. I can do you a favour, I'll take all the grief of potential buyers / viewers and tyre kickers if you simply give me the bike to look after for you.
    It will take some time to find a suitable buyer as you're well aware but I will keep the bike in top condition by regularly running it for you.
    I will do all this for no financial reward, out of the goodness of my heart so to speak, as I'm that kind of guy :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. i bought a bike from Baines racing, a 748R.
    My understanding is
    1) There are UK bikes, bikes sold in the UK through UK dealer network.
    2) There are imports. These would be a bike bought and registered in another country before being transferred to UK and re registered appropriately in the UK.
    and
    3) There are/were Grey imports, Such as bikes from Baines racing. These bikes were purchased new in a foreign country (most of which were Holland so unrestricted) these were bikes built by Ducati for the R/hand drive market so the headlight deflector faced the wrong way, and the speedos were in KM. These were brought to the UK, the headlight deflector changed and speedo modified to mph. The attraction being that a grey import was cheaper new than a UK bike i believe my 748R was something like nearly 2K cheaper. Of course you didn't get UK warranty ....unless you could swing it.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. It’s all out me in two minds what to do. 25 years of the 916 this year, sps currently half the price of foggy reps there are a fair few classic investors speculating the 916sps as the one to invest in with ‘prices set to soar’

15. I remember when 996sps were dear at 5. Think the rocker issues didn't help at the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ive confirmed that there is no FR designation in the bikes details only EUR so it is indeed a correct bike and not a French or Swiss market bike

17. Excellent, my previous offer stands ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information