1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Wasting Buyers

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Messer, Apr 30, 2019.

1. TBH I don't know, however, in an earlier life I took a bike registered new in the UK to Europe when my job took me there. I didn't 'unregister' it in the UK, simply took the number plate off got it registered in the country I had moved to. When I moved on, the bike returned to the UK and was 're-registered' in the UK - but as it had not been deregistered in the UK the DVLA just told me to put the original reg no back on it and carry on. As such the V5 didn't show it's exciting ex-pat life. Not sure what would have happened if I had advised the DVLA at the time it had been 'exported', but I know I wouldn't have been able to use the bikes original registration, and would have needed to re register it in the UK and suspect the V5 would have shown the bike as 'imported' as a result. This was in the last century, pre SORN world, and perhaps the EU systems no longer allows a vehicle to 'exist' concurrently in two EU countries - you would hope so!.

No idea what any HPI check for the bike would have revealed, presumably it would need to search the frame no across the EU (or global) registration records to reveal this which I think highly unlikely, but I would have been able to provide docs showing what had happened, including service history overseas.

Out of interest, do you know if the HPI check was carried out after the deposit was paid, if not then would agree that you would be entitled to some of the deposit for the inconvenience.

Again out of interest, are the HPI company able to advise why they say the bike was previously registered overseas.

Again, GLWS.

Mr Bimble.

2. Fair enough then, had the opportunity to raise this at the time.

Mr Bimble.

3. I would guess on the current system if you the bike and then take it abroad for a period of time then then providing DVLA are it aware then it could just be insured and taxed when it came back to the UK and they would be none the wiser. Sounds too easy though.

4. Just read this thread now, what a messer you had there. That is a perfect bike and I doubt he’ll find another one in as good condition. His loss.

By rights, if someone pays a deposit having agreed to purchase and agreed the purchase price then unless the parties have agreed some or all of the deposit is refundable it isn’t and if the buyer pulls out they lose their deposit. It’s their risk, they’ve paid the deposit willingly.

However, for the future, a fair & equitable solution would be to retain the deposit pending the sale of the bike and it would be fair to deduct the costs of re-advertising from the deposit. If the bike sells to a new buyer for the same price the buyer who pulled out would have paid for it then the seller refunds the original buyer’s deposit less re-advertising costs. If the bike ends up selling at a lesser price then the seller refunds the deposit less advertising costs and less the difference between the originally agreed sales price and the actual, subsequent, sales price. If it sells for more the extra does not go to the original buyer.

If you have agreed a price to sell and any ‘subject tos’ and shaken hands on it then it’s a contract and you’re within your rights to insist he performs on that contract.

The fact he doorstepped you is a bit OTT.

If he reads this then he ought to learn you don’t go around putting deposits on bikes and having the seller take them off the market unless you intend to purchase it and complete the deal.

This is now too long a post and I didn’t throw in the eye candy - sorry :(

GLWS.

ps. I Wish I could buy it :(

• Like Like x 2
  5. He will be reading - but appears to have decided not to put his own point across. I wonder why :thinkingface:

6. Totally agree, and the messer been the person who put down the deposit originally and so prevented an alternative sale for the seller should read and take notice, going round somebody’s house who is obviously very decent, and demanding deposits back when you have fucked up by your own incompetence and bad advice is pretty low and I would say cowardly as you probably have a good bit of confidence ie not intimidated by the seller to do what you did, I and a few others on here would have given you a different response .....and no not violent but you would be going off and fucking yourself for the deposit, pretty disgusted to be fair, but this an open thread that you are reading so give us your version? Personally I can hold my hands up and eat humble pie if you have the spuds to tell all and show that you were indeed right.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Speak for yourself

8. I was speaking for you, you didn’t even know what an angle grinder was and look at you now! :bucktooth:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Summary from what I've read:
    Fella comes and has a look at bike
    Asks if UK bike - seller says yes, it says so on the v5
    However, also in the sellers paperwork, an HPI check that says its been registered overseas that doesn't seem to have been declared upfront
    Fella doesn't notice til after he decides to buy
    Queries it, then likely thinks 'what else is wrong' (stolen plaque remade?) and pulls out
    Gets slated for it on forum
    Wants his cash back, likely having seen on this thread all the 'fuck him, keep it' comments and (it sounds like a substantial sum) pops round and asks for it

Wonder of those baying 'what a wanker' would actually say 'fuck off mate, I'm keeping your cash' if there wasn't a keyboard in the way....

I'm in the 'chalk it up and move on' camp. Clearly a lovely bike, lots history, bit of a story about it but thats not a bad thing, and if priced right will sell no problem. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Almost all right, yes.

Apart from me handing over the cash and then threats of coming back if not all there and repeatedly, aggressively asking isnit all there when I had already told him that it was in a none frosty way.

Everything else you had said could be taken as accurate enough though.

Even before he had been to visit the bike I told him that the plaque was none genuine and a remake that I had had done, but thatbthe bike fully stacks up. Nothing hidden there at all.

• Like Like x 1
  11. On a side note, it’s surprising how many 98 owners have had their plaques stolen. I was shocked. Made up a small batch and they pretty much all went. A chap had his plaque stolen at the TT in 2017, another chap at assen a couple of years ago. One guy at a bike show around 2007. Shocking how mindless people do this type of thing for absolutely no benefit apart from maybe trophy hunting or something

12. Threats? I retract my comment of him being a 'fool' and replace it with 'he's a fucking wanker'.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I for one would have kept 10% no matter what, but the agreement at the time of deposit would have been black and white that 10% is non returnable that is all, I came in pissed from a wake last night and was a bit harsh but 10% would be kept whether a keyboard was involved or not, others would be less generous

14. Perhaps they’re stolen to put onto their own bikes to make them look like an SPS. Now wouldn’t that be karma if your fella ends up buying one of those ?:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Threats? Tell him to F off. The one and only real plus to this episode is that you won't ever have to deal with this guy again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I've been reading this with interest.
    • I always HPI a bike (or car) before going to see it and handing any money over (if it's worth any substantial value)
    • I only ever leave £ hundreds as a deposit, certainly not in the £ thousands. Simply as a gesture of intent and to cover expenses plus a bit more if I drop out of the deal (which I've never done) and never without checking the bike out 1st.
    • I'd have tried to find a reasonable resolution with the fella, even though he's acted like a knob. He certainly wouldn't be getting all of his deposit back.
    • Once he turned up at my door it would be game over. "F**k off and don't come back" Keep 100% of the deposit and report him to the police.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. This is exactly how I behave. I do all of my research before commuting and sending over a deposit. To me, that money is gone once it’s been given regardless of what happens afterward. It’s my responsibility as a buyer to do
    My due diligence and don’t hand over anything until that’s done. Just standard, good etiquette.

I’ve sold tons of bikes and cars, and bought tons of bikes and cars over the years. This is the first time I have ever had anything like this happen with such shitty buying etiquette hence why I have been so pissed off about it

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Says he who bought a vespa without a seat from me. Its too late. Wifeys spent it on curtains.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Are they nice? :)

20. He likes curtains :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information