1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Tire Pressure Sensors

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Espen, Apr 23, 2018.

1. :eek: :dizzy:o_OBlimey! I should say that I am jealous of whom have that money to spend in clever stuff like that, but I would not, because it is IMO a total waste (not trying to be disrespectful of others opinions). Just trust the small portable gauge at home and a little riding common sense. Anything about 10 PSI drop you should feel your bike reacting differently. If not, it is just ok. Too much information taking the pleasure of riding away.
    450 euros! goodness! spend in petrol and be happy.
    I do not waste even the £190 for replacing oil and filters on the so called "MAIN DEALER SERVICE" and a ridiculous STAMP on the book:poop::poop::poop:, rather spend in petrol and full English at some nice cafe. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. agreed but an audible warning will not be heard?? Not everyone has Bluetooth etc, but a simple red flashing warning light would do the .job

3. Of course it is not vital to have the system & yes they are expensive. I paid 290€ for both sensors. But hey.... spent so much to buy this bike... I intended to make use of all the tech available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I agree with Pete, the bikes should have had this from new. In fact when the bikes were announced back in 2009 they were stated as coming with TPMs, but it never materialised.

My mate has just fitted a pair to his Triumph 675. Triumph units are ~220 for the pair, but he got them for 40 quid. Wondering if they are the same units as I doubt there are that many manufacturers (all car ones are essentially the same, comply with the same standards).

ducati mts ones:
    https://www.ducati.com/gb/en/accessories/ACC011348

ducati mts enduro ones:
    https://www.ducati.com/gb/en/accessories/ACC011313

triumph ones:
    https://www.lindtriumph.co.uk/buy/T...Monitoring-System/hjp-a9640169_2016tiger8.htm

The enduro ones look very similar to the triumph ones, so would be worth a punt to see if they will work imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Good sleuthing! As you say the Enduro ones look very similar. If you can get them for £40, it's worth a punt (I can't as I stumped for the official ones - small discount but overpriced still)

• Like Like x 1
  6. I've just ordered a set of the Michelin Fit2Go TPMS for my Mutli @ £80 all-in delivered, worth a look IMHO and even if not entirely perfect, which of course no system ever is, a vastly lower cost involved than the Ducati option.
    But then, "you pays yer money and you makes yer choice" as the saying goes.

Write-ups that I've seen, including Ride magazine seem to suggest they are pretty decent, so let's see.;)

7. They don't fit out of the box on a 1260S !!!!

Front one hits the caliper (about 1mm out on clearances) and same on rear caliper.
    The good news - there is a fix. Front valve can be rotated a little and that may give clearance (mine wont move at all so waiting for a new Front tyre to be fitted then the valve stem can be moved) if it still doesn't fit then it can be changed for a straight valve stem and the Right angle stem put on the rear so that will clear the Rear Caliper. Basically a swap over of valve stems.

Other TPMS devices may fit but I got a good deal on the Michelin ones and like the brand so lets hope they are as good as they say when fitted.

8. The alternative TPMS may be cheaper, but will they communicate with the Multi and display on the dashboard. If not it means another "box" mounted somewhere you can see it. I bought the Garmin units but they don't fit without juggling the position of the valve stems, and even then they're very close, I didn't fancy risking two very rapid deflations if the valves were sheared off.

9. Mixed feelings about these tbh, not convinced on accuracy. I got a warning on the dash of my last GS for low tyre pressure at the same time the back end started to weave..with a flat. Useful maybe as an 'indicator only' that tyres are somewhere in the ballpark but would still use a gauge if wanting exact pressure.

10. And should have been standard on Multis for years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Had the Garmin ones on my dvt for 3+ yrs now and work ok. Had to turn them 90deg to clear calipers
    Eat batteries in colder months but otherwise useful imo

12. :( That's a really interesting piece of advice about these, which now I've looked at the front calipers, where on the front wheel I've got a sideways valve fitted, your comment would seem to make complete sense! On the rear wheel I've got a standard upright valve stem fitted, which could be altered when I get a new rear tyre fitted just prior to heading away for a 10 day trip to Jaca, Spain in mid-June.

:rolleyes: DOH; I'm probably now going to give the company I've ordered them from a call tomorrow morning to cancel these, as I don't want the hassle of having to get the valve stems turned /changed so as to enable fitting on the front wheel actually work.

I do as a matter of course regularly check tyre pressures, but from previous experience it isn't always that immediately obvious when a tyre starts to deflate, something I've noticed with both front and rear tyre failures, which quite often occur quickly especially when nails, cuts or suchlike are involved.

I had hoped one of these types of simple and reasonably accurate/informative systems would help with the slower types of puncture, when TPMS can come into their own as I have seen with car installed systems.

That said, cancellation here is likely to be the better option, so I genuinely appreciate the feedback. :upyeah:

13. If the sensors were present and paired to the bike eventhough not on the tires then a run now will have them indicate pressures otherwise a run to the dealer to pair the sensors to the bike is needed

14. I've also been using the garmin ones for at least 2 or 3 years now (2012 S).
    I rotated the front valve stem by 45 degrees so the sensor clears the calipers but you can still easily get a straight pump connector on if you need to. I have M4 front calipers fitted and they still clear.
    The wheels aren't keyed so once you slacken the nut on the back of the valve stem they rotate easy enough. They are sealed with an O ring.
    The rear has been no problem at all for clearance.

Braz, you are spot on, they do eat batteries in the winter, and I do wonder if riding without having the satnav on the bike so they can't communicate properly affects it too. Just have to fit new batteries every spring.

To complete the above, my mate got his Triumph sensors off of the bay. He had to enable the system on his bike using some freebie software, and then enter the ids of the sensors, which I assume is similar for the multis.

15. I have the garmin ones. But tbh theyre superfluous as I just do a quick check before I go for a spin. Its a habit. Takes 5mins while bike is warming. Which reminds me, I need a new foot pump. The hose split at the union last time. Amazon here I come ffs...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. bootsam go buy a portable electric pump, then you can carry it with you too ;)
    I have been carrying a slime branded pump for years, it gets used at least once a trip by someone in my riding group.
    (really annoying that the DVT has less under seat storage than the pre-DVT, but there must be somewhere to hide it)

17. John, Ive a 1299s, I couldnt fit a sandwich under that seat. I need a new twin pump tho, but I may opt for a compressor. After unloading an old scoot to Robarano, I have some space now. Something small(ish) for tyres. My thighs arent like Chris Hoy's.

The Garmin sensors do work quite well and only £60sobs or so. But you need a sat nav.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Have you tried it? I bought some for my 13 years ago but then read the front one catches the ABS sensor so never fitted them. You have to change to a non-90 degree valve stem afaik.

19. I have just rotated my valve so it doesn't catch the caliper. However, I don't know if this is possible for the 1260 where the caliper is different (and nearer to the wheel).

20. On the 1260 The front Tyre Valve needs to be rotated about 45 degrees to clear the caliper for the TPMS sensor to clear the caliper. On the rear you need to fit a Right Angle Valve stem then that one will clear the rear caliper. This is for the sensors that come with the Michelin TPMS system, others may differ as sensor size (diameter) varies.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information