1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire Repair Type/kit?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by RexDangerVest, Feb 25, 2020.

1. As far as I can tell there are 3 types for a quick temp repair.

The sticky little ropes (very good, especially if a larger puncture)
    The mushrooms (very good/best?)
    The thinner? ropes with the brass tips (good for smaller holes)

I want it small and will use CO2 cartridges not a pump.

What type works best?
    Have you used it?
    Link?

Thanks
    Rex

2. I think the first two are good but for best results use rubber glue on the plug.

Also, note that the molecules in the CO2 cartridges are quite a bit smaller than normal air and so it will seep thru the tyre. So, it's recommended to get to an air line and replace with normal air.

TB

P.S. only used them for practice when taking old tyres off.

#2 Topbox, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  3. I have been using the Dynaplug system for 4 or 5 years and have used it in anger 6 or 7 times. The only time it has not been suitable was when the tyre had a slash puncture which nothing would have repaired. The most strings I have used is 4 in one puncture which held until I was able to replace the tyre. IMO, of all the different types I have tried, the Dynaplug has been the best. I had no success with mushrooms, an utter waste of time. Andy

4. Dynaplug with the brass tip?
    You can use more than 1 in the same hole?
    It doesn't just push the first one into the hole when you try again?

Thanks Rex

5. Yes mate. There is plenty of the first string to grab hold of whilst you push another string through. As I said from memory I have definitely put 4 strings in one puncture. If you buy the kit, buy a couple of packs of spare strings at the same time. It all fits in the supplied pouch (not all models come with a pouch). I bought an aluminium one for my girlfriend's bike and the stainless one for mine. In hindsight, the cheaper aluminium one is fine. Andy

6. stop-n-go pocket tire plugger
    &
    rocky creek motopressor pocket pump

...because those tiny co2 can's run out, where as a decent tiny pump will drain your battery before stopping.

yes; used a few days ago to fix flat rear tire & was away in under 10minutes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Just recieved my new stop-n-go tire plugger (deluxe kit) & decided as I have a slow puncture. That I should sample my gear gremlin repair kit which is similar to the ducati repair kit. Well the kit worked upto the point of plugging the hole as far as I can tell. I'm giving it awhile for the glue & bung to set. The three canisters produced 12psi so I can confirm they are bollocks to carry. The kit minus the canister system along with a compressor will do a tempory job.

However I do plan to see about removing tire & setting it up with a stop-n-go mushroom but applying glue before setting mushroom in place. This can only be achieved with tire off as the S-n-G kit doesn't allow glue to be injected or have a tolerance for this ordinarily. And I've ridden thousands of miles with tires repaired using mushrooms. The liquorish type repair substance are stated as temporary as previously mentioned.

#7 GunZenBomZ, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  8. ^^^ This

9. To re inflate a sports tyre flat rear, which runs 42psi normally you’ll need about 9 co2 bottles. If it is only half inflated then a minimum of 5 bottles will get you to a garage forecourt.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Sticky string :upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:(go on...ask me how I know?). Forget the CO2 bottles. Even if you carry a stack of them, if you don't get the hole fixed first time, you're f'cked (go on...ask me again). Mini compressor is the way to go :upyeah:
    Or an AA card ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Used the Stop & Go plug system on 3 bike tyres and 2 car tyres and ran the tyre to needing replacement, no problems, though not so good with a cut (sticky string).
    Also a small comp, much less hassle than CO2 cannisters..

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I use Stop N Go too - only thing I've found is the repair seems to leak a little - not sure if it's possible to put glue into the hole or on the mushroom. No biggie though, and I'm pleased to have a solution onboard. I also carry a small pump, so I'm self-sufficient.

13. With the Stop n Go , I've found that you need to pull quite hard on the plug once inserted to seat it properly. Never had a leak after inserting "well"..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. With the Stop&Go plugger I've only had one that's leaked and that was a nail that went in at quite an angle. Repair was sufficient to get me home with minimal loss of pressure, fitted a new tyre as a precaution.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information