1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 To Buy Or Not To Buy This 749s

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by DonaldDucky, Apr 28, 2022.

1. It’s entirely up to you and what you’re prepared to do / pay out for. However, for me, I’d be running away!

I appreciate that things are fixable however I think the “story” with a bike is really important in a second hand purchase and the “story” I’m getting is one where it’s been neglected and fixed on the cheap.

If it were my money I’d hold out for something which has been a little more loved over its life. That doesn’t have to mean a mint condition bike asking top money (probably around 6k in the current market) but you can get nice examples with scope for improvement comfortably at 4k.

As I said, just my two pence on the matter but if you go for it, best of luck and be sure you to put together a build thread for us! :upyeah:

2. I have a 2003 749. A couple of the issues you mentioned are very familiar to me.

My Speedo ECU died when I had 6,483 km on it. (I've noted it in my manual in case I ever sell, which is unlikely.) It was replaced under warranty at the time.

Always had to bleed the clutch reservoir, including once on the side of the highway using borrowed tools, a philips screwdriver bit, and a pair of needle nose vice grips. I replaced the slave cylinder as soon as I got home. Solved.

But I love the bike. Best of luck.

3. These bikes more or less always ending up costing you more than one with nothing wrong it by the time you finish doing everything that needs to be done

4. Though the once "done" everything is in good condition. The ones you buy with "nothing wrong" can often develop the same issues after you have bought it (for more money).

Do Not Sell My Personal Information