1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Buy, Or Not To Buy

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by Octoberon, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Does anyone know what the deal is with the wheels on this Supersport? Others I've looked at have just plain red rims.

[​IMG]

#21 Octoberon, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  2. It is called rim tape, I have red rim tape on the black wheels on my red bike. Costs very little to buy.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. D'oh! How have I not come across that before. Does it last?

4. Each to his own of course but I prefer the appearance with the standard pipes. I have not heard one running regardless of system so I cant comment on how either sounds let alone any other benefits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I'm not entirely sold on the look of the Akropovic exhausts either. I quite like the standard ones. They're discrete and don't detract from the lines of the bike so much. I found a YouTube clip of the a SS running with the Akroprovic exhausts but it's not the same as hearing them while sitting on the machine.

• Like Like x 1
  6. How does it sound as standard ?

7. It sounded pretty good to me. Another reason I'm not desperate for the Akropovic.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I heard an 821 with Termi fitted recently & didnt like it at all compared with a standard . It sounded harsh to me, I much prefer a deeper boom type of sound. Personal taste again of course .

9. I agree with you about the deeper boom. Ducatis should be imposing. :)

10. I am about 5' 9" with a 31" ish inside leg. Never had any problems just using the standard seat. The SFV4 however requires that I dig deep into my Yoga memory to mount it!

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. 5 foot 8 here and 30 and a half inside leg and have no probs with my multi. Use standard seat in the lower position. Apparently putting it in urban mode lowers it also but haven’t bothered with that. Def worth popping down your local Ducati dealer for a test ride.

Apologies Octoberon for going off track to your original post ..... super sport looks v nice btw but not so sure about the rim tape.

12. No worries about swerving a bit off the topic. It's all interesting stuff.

I'm not sure if urban mode lowers the bile or not. Can't say I've noticed that. Either way, it definitely kills the power. I'd use it in dodgy conditions but it makes the bike feel quite limp switching from touring or sport, which work fine around town.

I'm not sure about the rim tape, either. If they were some special edition nonsense I suppose it would be ok. Perhaps I'm just being soo snobby. :) I assume it comes off readily enough.

13. Very happy with my S/S as it feels in many ways like an older Ducati in that it all works better the faster you go and the roll on in 3rd and 4th is addictive.
    Mine had the same stickers:confused: warmed with a hot air gun and peel them off, but did leave one each side of the rims and looks OK

• Like Like x 1
  14. If you like the look of the standard pipes then you will love the short Akra slip ion.
    Just so happens,,,,

57D8971C-777D-427C-916F-84344E05CDE3.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  15. Yep, you're right. They do look good.

16. They look good, but do nothing. On the Supersport all the work done by the exhaust and the cat are in the box below the engine. You can take those twin tail pipes off completely and it changes nothing much. I opted for the full Termi which loses the cat, exhaust valve, 6 or 7 kgs and makes it sound nice.

17. If I get a SuperSport I'll have to do some proper checking in to the options and what's actually going to make a difference to sound/performance/weight. The slip-ons are just cosmetic, I know. I think they're an improvement on the stock exhaust but they don't do anything.

18. The stock exhaust sounds fine in the modern world and for real world riding. All of the aftermarket ones that ditch the cat sound deeper (QD, Akra, Termi) and sound lovely on the garage forecourt, but are also deeply anti-social if you live anywhere near people.
    Weirdly I think Ducati could have fixed all this simply by making the pipes that come out of the cat a larger bore thus lowering the note of the exhaust - but I am not an exhaust engineer so there must be some reason for it. Changing the end cans does nothing really - all the silencing is effectively done in the cat box - which probably provides the required back pressure too.
    [Twopennyworth mode OFF]

19. I assume the Euro regulations make for something of an engineering nightmare. Exhausts got really big and bulky as the regs got tighter but it seems to have gone the other way now, which is a good thing. I can live without the excessively noisy exhausts but the sound is part of the bike's overall character so the tone is still important for me.
    I had an extremely noisy GSX-R750 back in the day that was enormous fun. To save annoying the neighbours I would kill the engine and coast up to my house in the little cul-de-sac where I lived. It was a bit of a pain looking back. Whichever exhaust on on the bike it's the rider's right hand that generates a lot of the anti-social noise. There's a time and a place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. When you live as remote as I do, the Termi on my Supersport and the open can on the girlies Monster 821 have no effect on others. As for trundling through small French villages, have you ever heard a standard Hardly Davidson?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information