1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today Mystery Object

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Dodgy Dave, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Never actually seen a cylindrical slide rule, that was an educated guess, as I used to use a slide rule for calcs before the days of cheap calculators. Do you think Lucas is related to copper nickers btw?

2. I have just spent a little time reading up on them.
    I had a slide rule given to me when I started technical drawing but could never use it I'm not logical and it takes a time to get it.
    I was never really shown how to use it

Quite interesting  every days a learning day

3. Slide rules are like bevel Ducs .....useful in their day but have been superceded in so many ways that they are nothing more than ornaments these days :wink:

(Don tin hat and dive for cover) ....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eyup. I realise that this is an old thread, but I’ve got a mystery tool.
    I found it in a drawer that came from my aunt’s house.

5E4CB643-0BAC-48BD-9660-E342C80F3AA9.jpeg

5. i think it might be for cleaning fingernails and you should use it.....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I think you will find it’s a glass cutter. Andy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. why the threaded bit on the end?

8. Thank you very much, I thought it might be a scraper, the groove on the end taking a blade, but you're right, ta.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 3 processes in one tool. The blade to score and then either the hammer or the graduated slots for different thickness glass sheets, to snap the glass along the score line. To protect the user from the blade, it is hidden within the tool, hence the thread. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  10. ahhh... cool... makes sense. i used to work in for a glazier but never saw anything like that. that said i was installing joinery for them and didn't spend a lot of time in the glazing department at all. and id imagine a tool like that is probably not used by many anymore

11. The head part is used as a little hammer/tapper.

12. Soz, I’ve been doing mester’s stuff, in my new mester’s space and the young lady that does my six weekly mani-pedi is under lockdown.
    I’ve offered to go round to her house and let her carry out her usual services through the cat flap, but she declined.
    Damn you Covid-19.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. lmao!!! well, you have done ya best.. bar kicking her door in, i think ya gunna have to repurpose the glass cutter!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. EEB51FF9-A20E-4C02-8550-E92D0499D7C5.png
    Apparently there should be a cutting wheel mounted on the screw.

15. E777EC8B-5A91-4D14-B7B3-366E4608F242.jpeg

Have I cut my nails too short?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • WTF WTF x 1
  16. B6D8C686-946F-4A46-8934-673535EB0598.jpeg Today, I’ve started sorting through my misc. nuts and bolts bin and those little plastic drawer cabinets; I dont half keep some shite, anyhoo, came across this, initially thought drill, but there’s no tip on it, then I thought reamer (as you often do), or rotary file, but then I noticed that its threaded up the centre...

39F8E07F-5CE7-4CC9-BEB9-076E3D93FFB1.jpeg

So, does anyone know if it’s for something specific?

17. tip for a rod used to clean shotgun barrel. spirals grip the cleaning cloth

• Like Like x 1
  18. Why thank you very muchly kind sir.
    This would be from my Aunts house, where we did find a shotgun.
    Today’s top tip, if you find a shotgun in a dead relatives house, do NOT strap it to your back and run it down to the police station on the bike, phone ahead and tell them you're coming with it and put it in some kind of case to deliver it.
    How we laughed...

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information