1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Touratech Boxes - Not Waterproof!

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by nsm3, Aug 6, 2017.

1. My bike was parked up on Saturday in Surrey, when we experienced a short, but powerful squall and afterwards the top box and right hand pannier had about a teaspoon or so of water in them. They were directly in the path of the wind, but I'm surprised they gave up so easily, as my old Givi Trekker 52 didn't leak as much as a drop under any circumstances.

Is this common with the 'biscuit tin' type of luggage? I have 'water resistant' liners, but they have a lot of zip which won't hold out much water, so I'm resigned to employing plastic bags, which is all a bit of a backwards step!

• Useful Useful x 2
  2. I've noticed the same as my top-case is permanently on the bike. Seems the inner rubber seal gets squashed so much over time it allows air in. Found my stop-n-go leather puncture kit had mold on it. So I've also reverted to plastic baggies for the longterm stowed gear in there!

• Like Like x 1
  3. What inner bags are you using. Being a cheapskate I'm not paying Ducati prices. There are some on eBay for the 1200GSA that are half price of one advertised for the duc and I'm sure they're the same.

4. image.png
    I got some from Great Bikers Gear for £50. Weather resistant (ok if raining when you load/unload etc), but having all round zips, they won't be waterproof. I just packed my gear into builders rubble bags inside these liners and didn't have any problems with wet gear. The bags are decent quality for the money (zips could be more robust), but they fit the boxes well and with the shoulder straps, make hauling your stuff up to hotel rooms a breeze.

• Like Like x 1
  5. One point in favour of my Motech Trax panniers, they may have Micky mouse locks but they've never leaked. Touratech are bloody expensive too. There's no reason why aluminium panniers or top boxes should leak. Condensation I can accept but leaking seals or rivets from a rigid box is unacceptable.

Nearly bought a Triumph 1200 Explorer and they've got really nice aluminium luggage. Triumph badged but I'm pretty sure its Givi. Good price too. If I was buying another set I'd be minded to give Givi a go.

6. Had Givi boxes now for about ten years on the scooters used for everyday commuting and even in the most torrential downpour here on Hanoi (an it can really chuck it down on occasion) they have never leaked.

The Hyper has V46 Tech box, also Givi, and it has been out in foul weather a couple of times too without problems.

Would replace with the same without reservations.

7. Thanks for all your replies. Waterproofing is not any concern as I've plenty drybags i use. It was more of a size and fit query for going into hotels and suchlike rather than carrying two metal boxes.

#8 Columbus, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  8. Suddenly loving my BMW Vario panniers a little more... :D

9. Well first overnighter with my daughter and the touratdchs were on. New inner bags worked a treat. Ullapool in october meant it rained and youve guessed it the panniers leaked. Thing is this was overnight on a stationary bike on its side stand. No reason for water ingress through the lid seals. Has anyone found a solution before i spend hours in the garage

Do Not Sell My Personal Information