1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tourer?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Rick B, Jul 31, 2017.

1. I'm thinking of getting another bike for a bit of distance but with me being vertically challenged I'm struggling finding one with a low seat height, the Diavels great and I'm keeping that as its only a 30" seat,I've toyed with the likes of VFR,XJR,ZZR but the weight of them plus the wife and luggage puts me off ,I appreciate that being a short arse limits my range on what I can get on so I was just wondering if anyone else has been in the same predicament.
    Cheers

2. Height no problem

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hmm, I don't think the wife would like me kicking her in the gob every time I want to get on or off :)Although its not bad excuse lol

4. I too have short legs fitted. After a life of BMWs, which get taller every year, I am now onto the new Ducati Supersport. It is perfect for me, but I am not sure that I would want to carry passengers for long distances. The Diavel is not my sort of bike. My last bike, an 848, was lowered slightly so that I could reach the ground.
    Multistrada's and BMW GS's are bikes that I am never going to ride, just like ever thinking that I can buy a pair of jeans that don't need shortening.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Used to do that on my bicycles... wouldn't trust myself with potentially 200kg of fully laden GS. I'd look a right tit, laying face down whilst the bike trundles away down a hill.

I know someone that had to get her tourer resprung to bring it down to a more acceptable height. Wasn't a big ( :p ) issue and meant she could acually enjoy riding again.

I'd say, find something reasonable to start with and get the suspension sorted. Steer clear of anything too off road focused as the suspension travel on those is huge.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 noobie, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. I wasn't really thinking of the adventure type bikes due to the wife struggling to get on and I would need something with removable panniers so I can get it through the back gate,
    That V Strom with the lower set option only takes it down to 815mm, the Diavel is 770mm which is bang on for me, I thought of the Strada but them panniers ant up to much to be fair,
    Thanks

8. I was looking at the BMW's mainly the RT1200 which looked great with a seat height of 780mm up until 2009 then they must have been sponsored by the Harlem Globetrotters as they slammed the seat up to 820mm and trying to find an early one that's done less miles than Phileas Fogg isn't happening.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I sat on a VFR 1200F at the weekend that had the low seat setting and I really like the seating position, I was almost flat footed on it, and I have only a 29' inseam. I am looking at the same predicament at moment. Tried the vStrom, way too big. I am going to have a look at the VFRs and see if I can test ride the 800 and 1200.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Had a trip to the local Honda dealer this morning ,, Same as with the VFR 800, never got to look at the 1200 although it does look more like tourer rather than a sports tourer like the 800

11. I never liked the look of the 1200 but that low seat and almost 170bhp in a v4......hmmmm

12. I have very short legs - 26" - 27" - but am heavy - so helps once on bike.

I used to ride a Yamaha FZ1S - with lowering links.

Then I swapped that for the 2014 VFR1200 - exellent engine - but too top heavy for low speed manouvering. - I had the low seat on it. It was exactly 1 year old when I swapped it.

I swapped that for a 2015 DVT Multistrada and then recently for the 2017 Multistrada - because I like the bike and did lots of miles and wanted warrantee. - With low seat option.

I have the S - so if I do any town work - I switch to Urban and the preload lowers the bike - to make footing better.

Normal riding - I use touring and standard settings.

Do not dismiss Multistrada till you try it...

Its much easier to move around than the VFR at slow speeds and stationary.

Shame the Multi does not have the VFR1200 V4 Engine which was superb.

Plus on the move the handling of the Multistrada S is MUCH better than the VFR.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. I've had several blackbirds and when the vfr1200 came out there was some hope that Honda had take the blackbird forward with a new model. The early ones were not great particularly the 2010/2011 but there are plenty of vfr forums who discuss most of this. A few Blackbird owners went over, some regretted it and some loved it. Whilst forums can be a great support and info supply, from time to time I simply type in "Long term reviews of (insert the bike your thinking of) " and read a few of them

• Like Like x 1
  14. If you don't mind an older bike, a Ducati ST2/3/4s could suit your bill. I have seen some on sale with a lower saddle I think, and the bike isn't heavy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I have an ST2 as well as the Supersport and the ST2 is a little taller. The Supersport also has a low seat option.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information