1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Touring On My Multistrada Through France And Italy

Discussion in 'Touring' started by chrisjk, Mar 15, 2019.

1. I have frequently toured in Europe on other bikes but this year will be the first occasion using my Multi. I would like to use a telepeage tag, which I have never done before on a bike so I'd be interested to know where it can be located on the bike and be effective whilst not too vulnerable to theft. Grateful for advice from anyone who has used them on a bike.

Another new to me thing will possibly be the need to get the rear tyre on the Multi changed by some fitter unfamiliar with the bike. Having seen how carefully my dealer did it (I have tyre pressure sensors) and using the massive socket/breaker bar to undo the wheel, I am a bit doubtful that the average tyre bod would be properly equipped to do it. I can carry one of the lighter sockets I have seen mentioned a few times on this site but I don't fancy carrying a breaker bar. I'd be interested to hear of others' experiences in getting tyres changed in France/Italy.

2. Depending on how good your French/Italian is ask if you can do the socket part using their breaker bar/torque wrench along with your socket. They might be glad to absolve themselves of the responsibility.

I the UK I tend to remove my wheels at home and take them to the tyre fitter. With my previous bike (MV Turismo) despite my instructions and writing on both tyre and rim the tyre fitter used the wheel nut direction arrow as the indicator of wheel rotation (left-hand thread). He had to de-rim and remount the tyre.

Enjoy your trip, doing similar in June myself, France > Germany > Austria > Italy (Dolomites) and back.

3. Don’t forget your environmental sticker for France and be prepared not to be allowed into the odd town on the day. I have yet to find a detailed web site that explains which towns have the strictest rules on which days. I guess you will be doing a couple of thousand miles (?), if so I’d put a new tyre on before I went and retain the part worn tyre to refit at a later date. Hope you enjoy and have a safe journey. Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Hell do I need to get one? I have only lived here for 15 years without. I have never found a "town" that needs one.
    We have tyre fitters here in France, we even have Ducati dealers who seem to be able to find their way around the bikes that they service.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. As @Bob T said, there are plenty of tyre fitters and bike shops in France and Italy. If you can, plan in advance where you are going to be when you need a new tyre, then do your research and find a suitable place. When I needed a new rear tyre for my 1098S in Milan, I was directed to a car place that also did bikes. The place was plush, not like a Quick-fit. They had single-sided paddock stands and the correct tool for the rear wheel. The fitters were all bikers and did a really good job.
    But how long a tour is it going to be if you will need a new tyre whilst there? Wouldn’t it be easier to just start with a new rear tyre?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. +1 for starting with a new touring tyre, and you're on holiday so relax and enjoy it (get more miles from your tyre). If you feel you're going to need one then plan for it, ring ahead and get a local Ducati dealer to do it (they can order in your choice of tyre). They might be a few more Euros but you'll have the peace of mind of knowing they'll have the right tools for the job and can't shirk if they bugger the job up.

Peage vs. free roads is always worth comparing on Google Maps / Bing Maps / Apple Maps beforehand as sometimes you can save many hours and it's worth it, other times you can arrive within an hour of the peage and enjoy more scenery / patisserie stops. Can save you 100's over the course of a couple of weeks and it's less stressful.

We're doing the same this year, first time on a Multi rather than the old GS and so this is a very helpful thread. Pack a decent toolkit (just ordered one of these myself - which will fit in the Givi toolbox on the pannier rack) and don't forget about spare fuses / bulbs / safety vest / triangle / first aid kit / compressor / puncture kit / powerbank-jumpstart and other things that you might not know you need until you need them. :)

Very helpful to know about the eco-sticker! If you're straying into CH then there's the motorway vignette to buy too! :)

7. Agree

New tyres before a long tour, if there is a lot of tread left you could always keep the tyres to re fit. Conti Road Attack 3 or similar will easily do more than 3k miles even two up and luggage.
    If its a mega distance then ignore this but a week/2 week job last thing I would want is part worn tyres and wasting time working out when and where to get new tyres.
    Enjoy the tour and like others have said, there are plenty competent places to take your bike if thats the route you go.
    The single sided swing arm, chain stretch, torque settings etc are one of the downsides of the Multi IMO. Great bikes but some disadvantages.
    I would keep the chain well lubed, mine stretched like bstad when two up with luggage in 2013.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Lube each night or @ 500 mile intervals? What's been a winning strategy?

Missing shaft-drive already...

9. Depends on the lube. I used Wurth dry lube and lots of it, needs done everyday tbh. Something a bit more messy might last longer and also be kinder to the chain.

10. The only item there that is obligatory is the safety vest. All the rest is just weight and clutter. They sell fuses and bulbs in just about every garage and supermarket here, if you carry a puncture kit in the UK then carry one here if you want. Having said that no French biker that I know carries a safety vest.

11. Should add that it was not an issue on other chain driven bikes but then again I was one up on them so less stress.
    On my second GS at the moment and just laugh now watching folks messing about with a spray tin or while their mates spin the back wheel and they spray!

12. I dont bother with a vest, bulbs etc.
    On a tour I take a compact compressor and would take a tyre repair kit.

13. Crit Air sticker is only relevant if you're going to certain built up areas and even then the are sometimes only required at certain times. Even then you're unlikely to be stopped and checked unless you're unfortunate, not sure what the penalty is for not having one. Got one for the MV a couple of years ago as we were going to Grenoble, my mate didn't bother, no issues. They're less than €5 posted to a UK address so have ordered one for the Mutley as will be going to Strasbourg, which has a Crit Air zone, in June as part of my trip.

This is my touring tool kit, be prepared... dib, dib, dib :D:rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#13 Bumpkin, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Fair enough, the reality is that most things can be solved these days with a mobile phone and a credit card. I kinda enjoy knowing that I've got most things covered. Total weight penalty for all of that is less than 3kg and it all slips discreetly and in a distributed way around the bike. So it's all good.

15. I usually do start European trips with a pair of new tyres and they have always gone the distance (although on one trip of 6000 miles they were not really legal when I got home) but in the past I have had a complete tyre failure at home (big unpluggable gash) that required immediate replacement. I know the likelihood of such a failure is small and on any of my previous bikes, I wouldn't be worried, it's my relative unfamiliarity with the Multistrada that has triggered the concern on this occasion.

Thank you all for the input, it is interesting and helpful.

Re my question on Tags, I sent off a query to them and this is what I got back:

"When using the automated lane on a motorcycles just hold your tag up to the gantry or put it in your top jacket pocket, ensuring it is the correct way round as per the instructions it came with. Take care that you are in the middle of the lane, right up to the barrier and no other vehicle or motorbikes are in the lane as the equipment in the automated lane may register you as a larger vehicle and charge for a car (class 1).

There are a few roads with restrictions for motorbikes; A86 tunnel is forbidden for motorbikes, the Pont de Tancarville and the Pont de Normandie have specific motorbike lanes that must be used.

You can check your transactions in the 'My Account' area a few days later. If you have been incorrectly charged you would need to log inot your account and request a toll adjustment. You can only request a toll adjustment if you have used the non-height restricted Liber-t lane, all vehicles using the 2 meter (car only) height restricted lane will be classed as class 1 with no option to adjust this."​

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. FYI it takes 9 of those little CO2 canisters to fully inflate a 190/55 rear tire from completely flat; apparently :eyes:
    Did Italy for a week 2 up with all 3 boxes on and chain was fine. Was bloody hot (July). So drink more water than you usually do if going in the summer. I didn't find the driving any worse than parts of the UK. However on the motorways to the Ducati factory there was no hard shoulder on a twisty 80 kph 2 lane stretch!! A lorry had broken down in lane one so that was fun as we were coming round the bend!!

17. The two or three canisters which come with a kit are not enough, but it's easy to order a few more from eBay. I think nine is a bit of an exaggeration.

18. If you wear leathers, you need to carry a waterproof over-jacket in case of rain. It has to be some colour, and it might as well be fluorescent yellow. So meeting the obligatory French requirement is no trouble at all.

19. Australian guy with a Mutley rear took the valve out of his rear tyre o it’s was completely flat then used 9 to get to 42psi. YouTube it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information