1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track Day Advice For Newbie.

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Dabiscuit, Sep 7, 2020.

1. I’m glad to hear they’re doing something about it :blush:

• Like Like x 1
  2. The best advice is forget the whole thing and don't let it cross your mind again.

If you don't you will never ever ever have any money EVER :joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. At least you will have a van..

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. B24FF074-AD4E-437D-9D85-2C9CF334DC0E.gif

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. I live round there to and have no bloody clue what region it is.

6. One thing to remember - if you feel tired do not do the next session or perhaps do not do the last session - I’ve seen too many novice (well not just novice) simply Lose it because they are not at their best. There is another day.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Agreed but my advice is to take it easier through the day and enjoy the last session. Most people go early and it’s the best of the day!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. shh - don’t tell everyone ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. I disagree a little. but thank you for thinking of me. :)

I'm sure Dabiscuit will be fine and have fun.

#29 Not Carl Fogarty, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  10. That's not too far from me actually. Bedford Autodrome is a nice circuit to learn on as it doesn't have any gravel traps or tyre walls and instead is surrounded by grass and tarmac run off, which means that any off-track excursions are less likely to hurt you or more importantly, the bike.

As others have said, Brands Indy is a relatively short and easy to learn track and you appear to know it already from 4 wheeled frolics, but Beds is closer and IMO, even easier than Brands even though (depending on how they configure it) it has around twice as many corners.

https://www.bedfordautodrome.co.uk

11. Watch some on board footage on the TooB of folks on previous track days
    Go easy on the first sessions initial sighting laps And pay attention to the lines
    Tape up or take off mirrors - also rag off lifesavers
    Make sure you feel physically comfortable (no pants up your arse, socks inside out, dirty visor, to many layers etc)
    Don’t nail 10 pints of Old Rosie the night before
    Have a good breakfast - Not a greaser
    Hydrate all day
    Have some snacks on hand for later in the day when tired (protein bar, chocolate, haribo)
    Relax when off the track but don’t go seizing your muscles up
    Ask instructor for advice / follow ride
    Ride your line and stick to it
    Remember to look where you and the bike want to go
    If you are knackered, have a break
    Make sure you have enough fuel (when that light come on, get fuel)
    Don’t get to cocky, the 1199s electronic trickery is good, but you can still fook up. I made a lazy shift at Silverstone last week, QS kicked in, retarded the spark, gear didn’t engage, revs went sky high, queue dirty minger of a wheelie on the back straight that almost had me off.
    Above all, have fun

• Like Like x 2
  12. The rest is great advice, this is anti-trackday-fun-biker advice :p

13. The snacks advice is dead on as you will get dehydrated due to the physical effort and also, I find, breathing through your mouth when adrenaline levels spike. However, if you replace lost fluids with water only, you run the risk of your salt balance getting out of whack, which can lead to blinding headaches, muscle cramps and brain fog.

I find isotonic drinks like Lucozade Sport are good for avoiding that, but much cheaper is to have my own blend of sweet and salty nuts* on hand which I pop in my mouth between sessions (stop sniggering at the back, children).

* Salted peanuts and cashews, honey roasted peanuts and cashews, walnuts, pecans, brazils, raisins, dried cranberries, apricots and banana, and dark choc chips.

#33 Zhed46, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. When I turned up at my very first bike track day, a handful of years ago now, I signed up for a Novice only day expecting a less intimidating first foray.

Imagine my face when most of the other bikes were dedicated track bikes being unloaded from vans, and having tyre warmers put on in readiness!

I asked someone, and was told, "yeah, nobody takes any notice of Novice only".

I survived, and have been back many times - but it was an eye-opener to the world of bike track days.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information