1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Track Day Tyre Pressures

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Mark Prior, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Hi, I am taking my 998 on a track for the 1st time and was wondering what tyre pressures would work best.
    The bike is a standard road bike with road tyres on.
    All suggestions welcome.
    Thanks

2. What tyres? Using warmers?

I tended to start with f 31/r 28 and see how that went.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. No tyre warmers & Michelin pilots

4. Be careful. Street tyres are designed to work best at normal temperatures. Don't use tyre warmers unless it's like 10 degree C or you'll ruin the grip and your lap times.
    I would use 26 rear 28 front cold for the track

5. I’d stay 31/28 and see where that goes. As you are asking, is it ok to assume trackdays are new to you? Just take 2 laps min to warm your tyres a bit every session. It’s worth while checking pressures when you come back in; if the rear is over 30 maybe let a bit out.

6. I’ve done three or four but the last one was 5 or 6 years ago at Silverstone. I was surprised at how much gear people had with them,all bikes in vans or on trailers.
    I just rocked up on my bike with my sandwiches in a back pack

7. I had the road 3 Michelin, just started track days this summer

Hot summer days, 28 degrees I was running 28 rear 30 front but started off on 30 rear 32 front , I found she was going off after a few laps so dropped it to 28 rear

21 degree weather, I was running 32 front 30 rear, pirelli super corsa

According to the I structor, Michelin said you can go as low as 28 psi

If you are thinking of going lower I would check with Michelin

Do Not Sell My Personal Information