1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tracker Advice: Manual Tracker Vs Monitored

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by flatairbag, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Hi, apologies if this question has been asked many times...

I'm in the market for a tracker.
    Was keen on biketrac as heard it mentioned a few times on the forums, but the £299 installation fee made me question if there were other good tracking solutions out there.

Anyone have experience and recommend a Tracking solution worth installing, either Self install or whatever?

2. Thread moved

3. I'm afraid I have no comparison to offer but can tell you of the biketrac I have. As you know, it's monitored and can cost a fair bit to initially setup and install.

All of that is forgotten about though, when you see how quick they're on the phone when you forget to turn the ignition on when moving the bike around. It really is a top notch service.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I use cheap ones bought from eBay, work as fine as any and at £20ish a pop.
    You need to know that the 'pros' use scrambling devices when nicking bikes in vans anyway so...

5. There is a relatively new product on the market, Fyrdraca. Not tried it, have no connection with it nor do I recommend it. Only post for information. I can however recommend Bike Trac, despite the cost. Andy

6. I wouldn't buy anything I can't pronounce

• Like Like x 1
  7. I've been looking at insurance quotes recently and the insurance industry seems to like Biketrac.

My fear, apart from the cost, is the damn thing is logging all your rides. As the insurance company knows it's fitted, it's not a large leap of imagination to see them asking for data in the event of a claim. Are you sure you always ride within the speed limit?

This is already happening with the insurers' own "black boxes": https://www.independent.ie/business...fter-devices-show-them-speeding-36266006.html

(the article is from Ireland, but the principle is the same).

8. Biketrac give you a tick box option of wether to log speed.

Also, with the black boxes, you are giving permission to have your driving/riding analysed in order to get a benefit of cheaper insurance. My Biketrac is mine and the data is also mine. I also get no insurance benefit for having it (as they only give a discount for one security feature so my lock gives me the discount)

• Like Like x 1
  9. I’ve had biketrac on my last 3 bikes. I’m not an expert, but I don’t think the speed can be used from data since it is not calibrated & therefore you could argue incorrect/invalid.
    As mentioned, you can select an option for not recording speed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information