1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tracker Location?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Guizado, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Fitting is usually £199. I used to be on the Thatcham approved lists for alarms and trackers and the like. Trackers are kind of OK and will give peace of mind to the owner, but really they are not difficult to overcome by the bad lads.
    I am no baddie, but I am very tech savvy. I have a couple of jamming devices that block Wi-Fi, GPS, and all mobile telephone signals. I bought 'em years ago when my employer was being a pain and tracking all the movements in a company motor I had. I only used it on occasion - just enough to make it look like my tracker trail was erratic :D (They are great fun on trains for stopping the gobby peeps on their mobiles, cos it just kills their phone signals)
    Any scroat worth his salt will have one or more of these devices. You wont find 'em on Google anymore (they used to be on there) - but you will find 'em very readily on the dark web or by searching overseas (principally in China) by using a VPN that takes you out of the UK's IP addresses.
    I am giving away no secrets here on what they do - you should be informed though. They stick one of these devices near the bike. Nick it - and explore the bike at their leisure later to rip out the tracking unit. If its a car, they will just park it up and see if anyone comes for it. Trackers are harder to find on cars.
    Physical security is always the best, but only if its securing the bike to an immovable object and only if it is quality stuff. The Oxford type products of this world are not worth a light really. Neither is just securing a wheel to a lamp post, it needs to go through the frame really and be off the floor. They can leave a wheel behind.
    Whatever you do - if they want YOUR particular bike, they will get it. Even if it means following you and knocking you off, or sticking a knife to your throat at the lights and riding it away :(
    On that cheery note, I bid you adieu :D

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I looked at this recently and found their FAQ’s contradict the terms and conditions.

Can I fit my own BikeTrac unit?
    While BikeTrac is relatively easy to install, we strongly advise that it is installed by one of our authorised dealers. For insurance purposes a qualified installer should be used to make sure that your unit is correctly fitted in a covert location

It seems to read as though it’s down to your insurance company and if you want to use it to try to reduce your premiums.

Biketrac will happily sell you a subscription and support a device even if it’s not professionally fitted - I found one on a bike I bought - called them up and after a few cagey questions they told me that I could send it in to them for a checkup and to replace the SIM card - price of postage only.

Bearing in mind I have removed it from the bike - it’s just 3 wires and I could put it back anywhere as long as it can still get a signal from that location.

There’s some merit in doing it yourself - there can only be so many places that a professional fitter can be trained to put it - and a professional thief is likely to make it their business to learn these locations!

3. Hi, I've used Pete Mouncer - The Alarm Man for a Meta alarm and more recently a Datatool Tracker (TrakKing). His wiring is second to none; time served in the forces as an electrician. I believe he works with closely Datatool and he knows his stuff. Having removed a previous non-functioning alarm and installing new I've never had a problem with it over the 14 years!
    https://bikealarmman.com/
    I've no affiliation with him - just been pleased with his work. Might worth a chat - did my bikes at home.

4. Thanks guys, in the end I got it fitted by the Ducati dealership, it wasn't too expensive so.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information