1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tragic Accident. Three Die In Spanish Pool

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by AirCon, Dec 26, 2019.

1. This is where they said 200M2. They seem to be examining the pump system now.

2. If you search "child sucked into pool pump"

3. I doubt the pump will have taken them all out. I've just read the names of the victims. Probably Nigerian. As I said before, one will have got into difficulty leading to a tragic chain to catastrophe. Poor swimmers, deep water- lethal combination. Tragic.
    Years ago as an expat in several different countries there were tragic occasions where kids drowned in pools at BBQ's while all the adults were getting pissed. Awful. It's something that's upset me a bit to this day and I'm always hyper focused when I see kids playing around pools.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. lol.....sorry, i shouldn't say lol about such a tragedy... but are some seriously suggesting that the cause of this, or at least a contributing factor , is that the poor souls were black or asian? i think it may be fair (at best) to say, that if you are from a landlocked country, you may lack in swimming skills but to suggest that blacks and Asians in general cant swim for shit is a bit "fucked up" ....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. Hmmm, you've not really joined the dots on this one, have you? lol....

6. mt stepson is Asian(from sou
    think i have... re read the couple of posts, that , to me, suggested that blacks and Asians are not known for their swimming skills (apparently some swimming instructors will tell you this) ... if ive misread or misinterpreted, i apologise..

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yeah, I don't agree with that bit. I'm not a great swimmer and I'm sure a lot of African's would whup me in a swimming race (shit, don't mention race).
    But I bet you a pound to a pinch of shit, when the investigation concludes, lack of swimming capabilities is THE major factor here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. i would agree... obviously if you were the man from Atlantis, your swimming capabilities would have prevented this!!! im far from trying to pull everyone on their calls ,but some of em are edging on just plain racist .. my step son is Asian and he never saw the sea till a few years back, im from NZ and spent most weekends of my life at the beach but that boy can out swim me all day long...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  9. I tried to steer clear of contradiction as I didn't want this thread to end up in the Wasteland.
    There appears to be a smell of racism in some comments or at the very best, an overgeneralization. I've swam and dived with quite a few non whites.
    I once asked a Singaporean lady "what is the big knife was for?" and she responded "sharks".
    I said "are you going to stab a shark?", "No, I stab you and get to swim away"..... such a sense of humor those girls. She was joking, right?

#29 AirCon, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. yip, joking, unless she mentioned whales :bucktooth:

11. Do whales eat people? Killer whales may be.

12. Im not sure the ethnicity of a swimmer is really that relevant in this tragic case, other than as a convenient statistic. If someone is simply a poor swimmer thats just their own ability/skill letting them down not their skin colour. Whilst it may well be true that per capita, individuals from certain nations are less proficient than others at specific activities, in my professional life I have to undergo HUET training (Helicopter Underwater Escape Training) every two years and I can categorically state that there are plenty of people on these courses of differing ethnical backgrounds who are poor if not very under-confident swimmers. Like almost any activity, there will always be a wide cross section of people who struggle more than others to attain a reasonable level of competence.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Me too. And I've also undergone same training in both UK and Nigeria. And the panic levels during the HUET stuff among some Nigerians has to be seen to be believed. Composure ain't their thang in the water. I dread a real life emergency on a helicopter full of Nigerians. It would be utter mayhem.
    And I see the victims of this tragedy are Nigerian, just as I thought when I read their names. Apparently the young girl got into difficulty and her brother and father drowned trying to save her, just as I thought.

14. Never been known. Which I find fascinating given their hunter/killer prowess. It seems humans are totally off the menu for them. Some amazing encounters with them on YouTube.

15. So all three that "drowned" could swim....
    Hopefully this should put to bed (if not shame) those colourful comments.

Latest / revised theories?
    Any racist's present please identify yourself now.

No doubt some will question her motives for making a statement and her accuracy on the ability to swim of her children & husband.

I think we should question how such a complete investigation could be made in 18 hours over Christmas day....... by the Spanish authorities. ..... world renowned for their effectiveness and speed.

Tragic Accident
    smell-that-smells-like-bullshit-to-me.jpg

Do know what made me first doubt this story......?
    The BBC news. .... "tragic accident " headline before any investigation.

#35 AirCon, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2019
  16. I know what you're saying, though the pool is back open, and people are apparently swimming up and down without problem. Its hard to envisage that the "pool problem" was also fixed during the 18 hours of police investigation, with the other guests not noticing?

17. They couldn’t swim. You can’t sugar coat this, the wife is talking shite. She’s looking for other reasons that don’t exist. Understandable given her current state of distress.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Crap Crap x 1
  18. I haven’t bothered up until this point to resurrect this thread as I thought it naturally drop down the page, however certain members of this forum appear to be accusing me of being racist due to two sentences I put in reply to @AirCon.

@chizel you appear to not have read my post correctly or interpreted in a way that allows you to regard me a racist. At no point did I say Balck people ‘can’t swim for chit’ as you put it. The reference to the swim instructor conversation was about teaching non swimmers confidence in the water. Both my Daughter and Son were taught in the same manner, you are basically taught not to tread water but allow your body to float, this gives non swimmers confidence. However this doesn’t work with all peoples, some actually sink due to their body composure which then has the opposite effect.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28561485

@chizel again, my second point was that even the strongest of swimmers succumb to cold water shock, at no point in my second sentence did I reference a Black persons ability to swim. Nor did I even mention Asians.

Hope this clears my statements up for you and you @AirCon as you appear to want jump on the bandwagon of calling me a racist.

• Like Like x 3
    • Crap Crap x 1
  19. Racist!

;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. New word to gain the upper hand in any argument. Just chuck it in there! You win!!

• Crap Crap x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information