1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer Torque

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cream_Revenge, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Hey
    What's a sensible number for this nut? It's a lock nut and I've put some blue thread lock on. I've gone 50ft/lbs.

Also, what for the wheel nuts?

Cheers.
    15110097916521121580458.jpg

2. just tight, would do. use a 2-3ft bar and just lean in it. it will be fine. :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks. Fitted some fresh lock nuts with good blobs of blue lock.

Fingers crossed.

4. I would worry more as to why the central key hole is not in the middle of the shaft, or is that slight of light making it look like that.

5. Bearing puller made that mark.

6. Mate, can't really see what that nut is for ? but if that nut is for a wheel hub that has a bearing behind it, then the 29NM is probably on the money. With wheel bearing nuts, I've always gone hand tight, then back off a quarter of a turn to allow for bearing heat expansion.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. PS, wheel nuts for a car are in the region of 80-100 pounds feet, so guess for a little trailer wheel, maybe 50-70 ?? Only small wheels, I'd just do till tight.... :upyeah:

8. Funilly enough I'll be doing that later as have a flat this morning....

9. i dont think its a tapered bearing

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. It's just 2 standard 6204 wheel bearings, one each side of the axle hub with a spacer tube in the middle. It just slides on a threaded shaft and is held in with one lock nut.

11. Not 100% sure without seeing the set up, but why are you thinking that the 29NM quoted is no good ??

12. Just seems low for 1 rather important nut.

13. If there's a bearing behind it and you do it too tight ?? Well, you know what will happen eh........:confused::upyeah:

(Hence, hand tight then back of a quarter??)

14. If there are two bearings with a spacer in-between you cant do any damage to the bearings as the nut is only pushing on the inner cage. Damage would be done if they were tapered bearings overtightened.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. i bet you could go all the way up to80nm

16. Looks very similar to the old mini thou rear hub bearing, just tighten up til the nut nips and then give it about 45deg more and that should be plenty. Nyloc nut really shouldn't need any thread lock. You have got a steel dust cap which goes over the nut I presume.

17. dude, if its not tapered roller bearings, and contact bearings ie, the centers touch or spaced with a tube. rack it up tight.

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information