1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transportation In A Van

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by triari, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Three of us are off to Silverstone in June for the Ducati day.
    We've hired a LWB transit but I've never transported a bike in a van before so after some help.
    I've a 1299 Panigale and will likely be last to load on.
    I've looked on the Demon tweeks website and so far have about £300 worth of stuff in the cart and aside from multiple ratching tie downs and a front Wheel chock don't know what to get.
    Bike is my pride and joy so don't want it scratched or bent so am a tad nervous [emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Make sure the van has tie down points. Many hire firms sheet the insides with plywood covering the tie down points.

3. Last time I had my bike in a van it was the multi. Front wheel in a chock and the tied down didn't budge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Make sure the tie-down straps are passed around frame tubes. Oops, Panigales don't have any frame tubes ...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. You don't need chocks or any of that stuff. Get some handlebar tie down straps - best invention ever. Job done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. You don't need chocks , but I found it was easier that way - used one of these Motorcycle Motorbike Wheel Chock 17-21" wheels BIKE Jack Clamp Stand
    I rolled the front onto the chock and lifted the rear with the DP paddock stand and then used ratchet straps through the hire van tie down points
    Didn't budge even when throwing it around the mountain roads in the Dolomites

7. If you're loading a bike on your own wheel chocks are the easiest way. Four opposing straps and it cannot go anywhere.
    I've got handlebar straps but have never used them on my bikes because a pull-down strap on each corner is just as easy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Thanks Folks.
    I'll stick a link up with what I intend to buy.
    Please feel free to remind me in future posts that even a would be know it all like me, most of the time doesn't :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. You say three of you are going, is that three bikes as well? if so you will have to think about loading them. handle bar straps a ratchet tie downs best option, if there is more than one bike you will need some foam or blankets so bike dont touch each other. Be careful not to pull the front down on the forks to much or you will pop your fork seals, easy done, dont want your day spoilt because of leaking forks. Use to get four enduro bikes in my transit when i did enduro's/hare & hounds. Have fun

10. Yes, three bikes so any guidance welcome.

11. i use a front wheel chock and handlebar strap in my van with my 959

for the rear i use pull through type straps around the foot peg mounts (be careful around the brake and gear levers though)

the rear has nothing to strap down unless you remove some plastics and use the rear subframe or remove the seat and put a ratchet strap over the seat area with an old cushion for protection.

the wheel chock and handlebar straps work great though.

you can also get wheel tie down straps but ive not tried them before

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I use a front wheel chock and two straps one either side around the rear sets,bike never moves at all,this is the best wheel clamp i have used,it works like a clamp on the front wheel and also has a locking bar so the wheel cannot come out.
    LASER MOTORCYCLE STAND/WHEEL CHOCK - 5671 | eBay

13. Don't know where you are based but I have probably everything you need if you want to borrow them: wheel chuck for middle bike, two others strap against the van side, handle bar straps for two bikes and loads of straps. If you want to borrow not buy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Two go in facing forward, strap the fronts down, swing the rears to the side and put third bike in rear end first or put them in at an angel in the van with the front facing one way then the next with the rear next to the front of first bike third bike front facing rear of second bike, using blankets or foam keeping bikes apart, At the angel option jam tyres to side of van, dont forget you got to get kit, tools fuel and food maybe fold up chairs etc in as well. A really rough sketch to try an help. When i was a member of street specials and we had a display at Sheffield we used a luton van, i think we had 5 or 6 bikes in the back. many years ago. Oh yes I dont recommend when loading the bikes in the van using engine if you are not use to it as i have seen so many people panic rev the bike up only to have it spit the plank/loading ramp off the van with bike on top of rider/owner reving its nut off. You can do a lot of damage to a bike like this so push it in. Also keep the weight of the bike against your body when tying down so you dont lose the bike ie falling away from you, causing damge to bike and damage to hire van which most company's will charge for. Hope this is of some help Scan.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Thanks. I'm Ten mins from Vince (black 1199s).
    Where are you?

16. Thanks, and love the drawing :)

17. Clearly the artist of the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Gloucester. Probably a bit far from boxhill but you're welcome to borrow them.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blimey!
    It's likely to cost the same in fuel as getting a set however I do appreciate the offer.
    Shows there are still decent folk around.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information