1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triumph Speed Triple 1200 Rs

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by damodici, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Anyone been to see one of these in the flesh yet.?

Popped by Pidcocks Long Eaton at the weekend with my youngest daughter (she likes shopping with dad)

The build quality and ergos felt great to be honest. Great touches throughout, decent carbon included, ohlines all round, decent tyres. Quite fancy taking one for a spin just to see how well it rides as they're supposed to handle really well (after triumph dealers softened off the suspension for the road riders)

Definitely the year of hyper nakeds

675DDDA5-960A-461F-BE94-EDC4E55C1E7D.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. I bought one; have had it 2-weeks. Love it. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. I was chatting with a guy the other week who’d bought one, went up from the previous model. He said it was incredible, loved the handling and power delivery in particular. Looked the bollocks too

• Like Like x 1
  4. Must stop reading this. :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Really?

Have you fiddled with the Ohlins and sussed out more compliant road settings?

Also how tall are you? I'm 6ft 3 but just sat on it last weekend felt pretty roomy

6. They do look great in the flesh, really well put together

7. Not my cup of tea but recognise the general effect and appeal. Noticed the 180 PS..Would be great if it had that but held onto some of the lowdown pull and smoothness of the old 1050 engine

8. Yes, I don’t think it was too firm at all; coming from sports bikes mainly.
    I gave it one more turn of rear preload to stop the rear squat; its now perfect. Also reduced front preload on the front to let it settle lower into the turn; much better for me. This seems to be the real deal Ohlins which responds to small incremental changes. My damping is set to normal as per the manual.
    This bikes excites me a lot; a proper looker & road weapon.
    The Ducati stands & rear wheel nut sockets also fit.
    B9C830A7-2327-4E6F-8195-7D3607F3B9D2.jpeg 5C44B1D7-A467-439C-BB57-E09E7844857B.jpeg 67A3839E-A5CA-4D8E-90AC-18F3659FB76D.jpeg D4D4C16E-AC31-4FF3-A753-90DA39B7D504.jpeg 07407DF1-FE7C-48DB-934B-6EDDC560C494.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
  9. Fotgot to say, 5’ 10”.
    It’s quite tall for me, definitely can’t flat foot it. Seat has plenty of room.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Me likey. I'm considering one. More useful than the V4SF and not stupidly priced. Still cant see point of SF with 200+hp. May as well just get v4s and have a fairing to duck behind. The finishing on the new Triumphs put Ducati to shame for the price.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. I'm on the edge of buying one as a replacement for my Street Triple that I just sold.

Been out on one for an hour and absolutely loved it. Very refined, very easy to ride, with a hint of power wheelies. It's the more powerful Street Triple I've wanted for a long time.

Only thing stopping me is the price, it's a 16K bike with 'a few' necessary options. Despite there being 3 sat on the showroom floor at 3 dealers I've been to, they aren't yet interested in doing a deal. PCP has driven up list prices, and selling to cash buyers is a missed opportunity to sell a bike with a finance package for more profit.

The other thing causing me to hesitate is that it's a new model, new engine, and I'd like them to get any recalls out of the way.

Plan A is to wait until depths of winter when the dealers might be more interested in doing a deal on one.

Plan B is to cave and get one as soon as I get a hint of a deal.

Plan C would be to sell my 959 Corse, and go All In on a Streetfighter V4S.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Plan A.
    Don’t sell the 959 for one.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I paid £14700 with the PX £700 more than anyone else offered.
    No extras added.

Correction. It’s was £14800.

#13 Swiss T, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 3
  14. I’ve seen one in the flesh finally and it looks super, I loved the older ones and actually preferred them to the street triple, this one looks ace and would be on my list for sure. Hers a couple of shots I took

DCF1DFB9-1397-444D-84D8-AD6CF1D96C5C.jpeg
    C1C5C972-C5FA-47FF-8CA4-6AFBD63C9DDE.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. decent exhaust and a tail tidy and that bike is perfect

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Got my Moto2 in for service in 2 weeks. May just have to try one.

• Like Like x 1
  17. To be fair, the alloy tail on the Speed Triple isn't as horrific as the plastic ones Ducati fit (hardly matters, given everyone replaces them).

My understanding is that EURO 5 means that exhaust has to be one piece, so that slip ons can no longer be used (without at least sawing the end off the OEM pipe?), so it would need to be a full system. Can anyone confirm?

If I get one, I think I'll actually stick with the OEM exhaust for the first time, it's not loud, but sounds OK. I'd rather lose the weight, but I figure 180BHP is enough to lug it around ;)

18. It doesn't specify one piece, as the Panigale V2 has a clamp and y piece to join the silencers in exactly the same position as the 959 which was Euro 4 as you know. The difference with the Euro 5 'seems' to be and this is where someone else will confirm, that the exhausts have to be tamper proof if they have removeable baffles, so more are being sold with tack welds etc in them. For 'aftermarket' exhausts to be Euro 5 Road Homologated I wouldn't expect removable baffles at all.

19. I like the TT from the sides, though it does look like an air brake from the rear. Evotec do one for £199; its on my xmas list.

The can is held to the pipes by two clamps above the exup.
    I like it though & will keep it. The bike is quiet at idle & low revs but comes alive when the revs rise; combined with the induction roar, its very addictive!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. I really didn't have any preconceptions but have to say when I walked in and looked one over I really was impressed with the build fit and finish.

The tail plate section is aluminium (I think) and easily the best machined part of that nature I've ever seen on standard bikes

Front carbon mudguard also really lovely quality.

I think I'm going to have to take one for a test ride given what I'm hearing.

As for exhaust I'm pretty sure slip ons will become widely available, fairly certain I've already seen a racefit attached so doubt it'll be long before loads of others are available.

Good to hear that the Ohlins are nice and fine tunable. I get the feeling that the press bike ride was set for the track session later in the day, if you watch / read the reviews none say they altered from the road ride to track, and they rave about how fast it is on track and settled.

Can't be a coincidence, I bet triumph tried to set for fast road / track but went more towards track settings that's all.

Besides, I'm a big bugger so I'd rather have something that's not too soft

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information