1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Trying To Loose A Bit Of Height?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by oldfart, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Got 848 EVO and at 5'6" i'm struggling with short leg syndrome so I obtained an adjustable ride height (dog bone) and fitted it without too much trouble. initially i set it as original, took a measurement from top of rear wheel nut and marked point on tail, then wound adjuster to drop it by 1" .
    Its definitely better, but is it possible go any further (there's a little more adjustment left on rod)
    OR is it possible to drop forks through yokes (if so by how much so not to cause any clearance problems??) Rode it with the rear lowered and it seems to ride ok (i'm not a scratcher) to me.
    A fraction lower would be better though even if only millimeter's , struggling be able push it backwards while on bike which is a pain parking it!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. One way to find out is go short as it can on the rear, then drop the front thru the forks. Been a while, but iirc 3 or 4 rings showing is probably as much as you want at the front. Ideally, you match front and rear drop, or there abouts.

Risks of too low: front can foul radiator guard (if you have one) on heavy braking; potential loss of ground clearance (never found this myself tbh); not sure if you wind the rear all the way down what impact that has on rear wheel position in relation to ride height. You won’t be able to get ideal height anyway so again I don’t remember having too many issues when I wound mine down.

HTH

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thanks for quick reply, I’ll check front forks but I’m sure there are 3 or 4 rings showing above top yoke already ?
    What’s standard setting ? Does it show in owners manual I’ll have a nosey, know it shows a preload measurement.
    I’d put an aftermarket rear hugger on and noticed that’s touched exhaust since dropped rear but can sort that with trimming it if needed!

4. The other problem when lowering bikes , as I have had in the past, is the side stand, they become too long after lowering so that the bike sits too upright, but you can buy aftermarket adjustable stands for some bikes.
    Welcome to the short arse club!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for replies ....... " Welcome to the short arse club"........ I've been in that for all my life:)
    At the moment with the rear dropped 1" the side stand seems about right IMHO. before it did seem to lean over a lot that i had a piece of old worktop in the garage for it to stand on.
    Just this bit with the front forks now, anyone dropped theirs then????

6. I did drop the forks on one of my bikes in the past, can’t remember which one, it didn’t seem to make much difference.

7. 5' 6" ? You're a giant:D
    I never had a bike I could push backwards whilst I was on it, unless it was on a slope. This is why I have always had to be very selective with my bikes, always checked seat height when looking at specs.
    Have you checked preload on rear spring? I could be wrong but I think that would affect initial rider sag, effectively making the bike a bit lower when you sit on it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wet weight and seat height are the two first things I look for, they have guided my bike purchases over the years, especially as I get older and weaker.

9. I did sit on one before i purchased this one .at a distance (covid didn't help) but living with it would be a bit more enjoyable if it was slightly lower.
    Yes i've backed off preload both ends but i'm not too heavy either which for once doesn't help.
    Once we're moving its fine, like has been said planning when drawing onto parking/forecourts/etc is part of the ride now!
    Don't want look a tit getting it stuck or worse dropping it, better get some more practice wheeling it around, back end would be better if there was something grab hold of? (don't think i'd ever like go pillion on one either for same reason)
    Apart from that i love it, just want the better weather get out more and find some bins for photo opportunity:)
    Keep the suggestions coming:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Are you running the stock springs? The standard rear seems to be setup for about a 16 stone rider, respringing this for your weight might give you enough sag to help.

11. I’d drop the front to 4 rings showing. The set sag 30mm front and 20mm rear static, ie you not on it. Ideally you want 40 f and 30 ish r with you on the bike. Or there abouts.
    Ride it, see how it feels. Of doing Trackdays, imho I’d raise front and rear a little ( foot down not really an issue on Trackdays as much) especially if you run a rad guard. Of not, and you are novice / inters type rider, you’ll probably be ok without changing.

12. Just had a nosey at forks and there is one ring left below top of yoke, so provided i can get to bottom clamp bolt without taking all front off i'll drop that little amount then ride it see how it feels (when the snow and salt has gone again!!!)
    i'm never going do a track with it so it'll be fine i'm sure.

13. easiest way is take front wheel out (assuming you have a stand or something to do that with) and do a leg at a time. Or with a headstock stand, you can do in situ, just needs a bit of thinking and leverage once bolts undone. Or a second pair of hands :upyeah:

14. Branders, managed do it on own on rear paddock stand with just removing both side fairing panels to get at bottom clamps , loosened all, then tapped top yoke with rubber mallet , measured to check both same locked everything back up refitted panels. Now showing 4 rings on top.
    Ill try it now for a bit before thinking about different rear spring or owt. OR platform boots

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information