1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Turns Over But Doesn't Fire

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Spjallen, May 30, 2017.

1. Evening Gents

Had a few problems with this bike for a bit now. Originally it wouldn't Rev past 5k and coughed and spluttered.

Changed the basics first, plugs, coils but no joy. Looked at the fuel and changed the filter and pump - aftermarket and bingo all good. Took it for a run on the dyno and all worked well.

Just preparing for the Wirral 100 oil and filter and general prep but now it won't start. Bike turns over but doesn't fire. I have spark in both cylinders and all the fuses are good, furl relay changed too as was the ecu this morning. The fuel pump primes but it's a lot quieter than oem, which is odd / different.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Simon

2. Battery?

• Like Like x 1
  3. it's on trickle charge so I don't think so. Ruled the battery out with the use of my spare.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Fuel pump relay?

• Like Like x 1
  5. I am having a similar issue. Bike won't rev past 8,500 rpm, had a fault code for the engine rpm sensor. Replaced it but still the same and code remains.

Bike had belts done prior to me buying it so going to check it is not timed out 180 degrees. When I was trying this my battery died (it is a cheapo battery). Getting a new battery tomorrow and then I'll see what's what!

6. If pump sounds quieter then i would look in that direction, filter, hoses etc.

7. The battery needs to be showing 12.7 on the dash to be good.
    Both batteries could easily be duff. These bikes need a really good AGM battery to start reliably and preferably one of Exige's magic cable kits too.

8. Thank you, changed the relay Twice!
    The pump is an expensive after market one, notca cheap one that's not oem size, this one fits into he plate besutufullly. The pump is also much quieter but you van hear it energise and the fuel move. Fuel Filter changed too.

I wonder if something's amiss inside the tank since the rebuild of the plate? Has anyone got a spare I could use for fault diaog?

I looked at connecting up a battery to the plate on its on but that didn't work nor energise it. 12 v with neg to black wire and pos to brown and white. Perplexed. Fuel, air, spark compression, it should work!! Ffs.

#8 Spjallen, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  9. Plugs wet after turning over?

10. Mine starts with 11.8v-12.2v showing with ign on. (13.8v running). I have extra earth lead mod.

11. Can you smell fuel when you crank the motor?
    Try attaching jump leads to your battery as you crank. If the battery is not quite there, the cranking will use all the available juice with none left over for the ignition circuit.
    It is a coincidence that this should happen after your fuel pump problems though. Could you try cranking with no spark plug in the front cylinder, so you can see/smell if you are getting fuel into the cylinder??

12. @Tmac88 Is there an error code on the dash?
    Not revving past 8k might mean a coil fault.

13. Yes I can smell fuel and the plugs are slightly wet, dried them
    And started again and they were appropriately wet.

14. Error code was 37.3 - immbo. My ecu is flashed and it cranks so that's as much use as a chocolate fireguard!

15. So fuel and compression, which leaves spark??
    If you have jump leads, try jumping from your car. If it starts then, suspect your battery - strongly. If it doesn't, you need to dig deeper...

16. No code on dash but when hooked up to a ducati diagnosis machine it comes up with code for engine rpm sensor. I replaced this with a new sensor but still the same. Checking the timing as spoken to someone on here who has seen this issue as a result of timing being out 180 degrees.

It could be very possible as the belts were changed by a non ducati dealer just before I purchased it.

17. Just to be clear.
    I thought you'd cured the revving problem with the new fuel filter etc. However you now have a new problem with the engine failing to start.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gent I have solved the problem. The fuel governor was slightly mis seated and not allowing the fuel to flow. I installed a new complete fuel plate to confirm it and it fired up straight away. The old one was around 4 mm out and higher on one side than the other - on the securing clips / washers.

In hindsight it should have been easier to sort. The fuel plate had to be the issue. It had spark, power and had history of a lot of work on the plate.

Just nice to hear it running again. Thanks for all the posts offering help.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information