1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Choice 1100sp

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Turbo, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Michelin Power RS weight: rear 6.2kg front 4.3 kg.

2. Power RS 's fit and balance to loose wheels yesterday at jennings in oswaldtwistle... 230 quid all in.

Hyper back in its wheels and ready to roll.... We will see what April brings.

3. I need new tyres for my 796 and came back across this thread.

Are Power rs still the preferred choice here? Anyone know the difference with the RS+?

Lastly, standard rear fitment on my bike is 180/55. Michelin only seem to list a 190 for the RS. I can find an RS+ elsewhere at 180/60 - is that what others have fitted, and if so will the taller profile have much of an effect on handling?

Cheers,

RW

4. Power RS 180 55 on mine - didnt know there was a "+" I only got them as im making a point of trying a different tyre each time i change so i can find what i like rather than reading reviews of what someone else thinks of them....

At the moment my personal opinion of them is...meh....they feel ok but dont inspire a great deal of confidence - having said that im waiting for MH Racing to open up for a suspension set up.....thats not to say theyre bad...ive not experienced any stepping out on corner exit - something metzelers have always done (so theyre off my Christmas card list)

Once these have gone through no sure what ill try next....probably a sticky dunlop or bridgestone of some sort...

5. That's really useful feedback, thanks.

I agree it's not ideal to go by what other people like, but aside from professional reviews (also not ideal) there's no other easy way to gauge what might be good. I'm yet to come across the shop happy for me to try a variety of tyres on my bike before I buy : )

When you've tried all of the obvious options, presumably new models will be out and you'll have to start again : )

I really like Metz Racetec RRs on my trackbike, but my small Hyper is pure road. I do very little mileage and it's low speed around here. Relatively low power means something super soft but fast/easy to heat up, and at least ok in the rain would be best for me. Not sure what to go for...

6. For me - supercorsas are the bar....nothing has beaten them yet - ironically the last tyre i bought based on reviews was the m7rr and they were the shittest tyre ive ever used (what rubbed salt into the wound was the reviewer said "could even rival supercorsa`s)....highsided on my rsv4 (but managed to stay on) squashed my bollocks and put my right shoulder out all in a split second....transferred them to my z1000 thinking i was the rsv`s setup or something like that....even worse on the z....im not a rich guy so they had to stay on there....the only set of tyres i was happy to see the back of when a nail in the rear finished them off...

May mate left a spare metzeler m3 in my garage and my rear on the z was starting to wear so i thought...."ill stick that one on, cant be any worse than those nightmare m7r`s" - even worse....literally span up when you gassed it even when upright...took it off after a week on there...

I would say based on what youve said...supercorsa`s all the way....they for me are the bar....its all my rsv4 ever gets from now on....i use my z as the testing mule as its my daily commuter...as i said - stick dunlops or Bridgestones next...

7. Ive heard good things about Continental sport attacks too...another one for me to try...

8. Sounds like more good advice. Are supercorsas not pretty bad in the wet though?

Supercorsa SP v3 or v2? What's the difference - the Pirelli website doesn't even seem to differentiate? Presumably softer compound in the v2?

9. Actually, it looks like the v3 is a successor/better tyre than the v2? 'sc' designation is the compound difference I think.

10. I fitted MT60RS on my 950. I've been riding those tires on my Scrambler for 2 years and I feel very confident with those tires. When I got my 950, I rode the Rosso 3 for 1,000 km (the tires came with) but I didn't like it much so I switched to MT60RS. Feels really good except the tires wear out really, really fast. A set will probably last me less than 10k km. But I only do canyon riding so...

11. Yeah - compound difference i think....yes, supercorsas are no good in the wet....i can do pretty well every weather condition apart from rain...i dont do that (unless i get caught out in it) hence the supercorsas on the rsv4 - thats purely for known fair weather riding period...

12. Just for info the surprise tyre for me so far....was the original Pilot 2ct. Picked up a set for my last hyper for (from recollection 70 quid for the pair and they were brilliant) got about 2.5k out of them but, what can you say for the price...!

13. How about Bridgestone S22 - I was thinking to try them on my Hyper when it's change time...
    Or just stick with the Diablo Rosso 2 set that feel good to me....

14. Yep - +1 on that theyre on my list of next to try.....

15. S22s for me, not tracked it but liads of grip, full throttle 2nd leant over does not bother them, warm up quick & good wet grip.

16. Have tried a number of different tires on my Evo SP.
    Do not drive in rainy weather with my Hyper, so maximum grip on dry is the thing for me.

So far, my subjective experience is that; in 3rd place I have Pirelli Rosso 3.
    In second place I have Pirelli Super Corsa.
    In first place, brand new Michelin Power Cup 2. What a fantastic tire this is.
    Highly recommended. Warms up quickly, and sits like a nail on dry asphalt

20200917_174305.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information