1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Life - Multistrada

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by stooby, Sep 27, 2016.

1. The Lang Whang, yup, i know it well, was up there just the other day :grin:

2. 3300 miles and my scorpion 2 rear is on its way out, now showing the beginning of a flat spott

3. I'm considering the Roadtec 01 as mine are ready to change. Is the HWM version essential ?
    Cant seem to find any spec as to what weight is "heavy" ! - does that consider luggage etc ?
    Ride mostly 2 up, but me and mrs combined = 130kg
    Thanks

4. Hi buddy,
    I've just returned from a 3500mile trip to Spain on my multi, solo with full luggage.
    I put a new pair of standard weight roadtec 01's on before I left as recommended by supplier. Tyres we're superb, without doubt best road tyre i've experienced, out performed various Pirellis the other riders were using (albeit on different machines, but we did switch bikes a couple of times).
    Unless I was riding two up with luggage continually ie a long trip with the wife, I wouldn't worry about the heavy weight option.
    Doug

5. I see you what John means. Out Thursday and anything other than straight on overbanding and it unsettled the bike a little. Felt like it was sliding, suspect because it's fit quite a flat spot

6. That's a decent test !
    Thanks, will give the standards a try

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. Some good mileage here....from the op's post id say he's about right....never had more than about 3k-ish out of anything ive ever owned. My record is about 1.5k out of a set of supercorsa's. Having said that this is the first year ive ever had my suspension setup correctly for my weight. My rsv4 usually trashes a set of SC's by about 1.8k. However since ive had a. the suspension set up correctly for my weight and b. upgraded the stock ohlins to a Nitron RacePro and luckily the lad i bought it off was the same weight as me so the spring was correct also...ive got to 2k on the current supercorsa's and, not quite hit the limiters yet...so definately something to be said for getting the bike set up correctly.

8. I've never managed to get more then 4,000 miles out of a rear tyre; Pirelli Scorpions from new then Michelin Pilot Roads 3s & 4s. I'm now trying a Pirelli Angel GT (D spec) after wearing out the last 2 Pilot Roads 4s in just over 3,000 miles. The Angel GTs have a different profile and take more effort to tip the bike into turns compared to Pilot Road 4s which make the bike almost fall into corners, which I prefer. I might have to try a set Metzeler Roadtec 01 next time.

I should add that most of my miles are touring, either solo or with a pillion. I usually have to put a new set of tyres on before a European tour but the last couple time with the PR4s I worn the rear down to the depth markers.

#28 steveb123, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  9. you sound about the same as me....Pilot road 4's are on my list of tyres to try out...

10. Front Scorpion was shot on my MV Turismo at 2,500 miles. Bald on sides, maybe aggressive cornering, braking deep into corners, chasing my m8 on his 996 around the Picos. Limped home and fitted Roadtech 01s. Not bad wet or dry but, IMHO, not as confident on them at max lean as I was on PR4s.

11. R01 std version, always with my wife (as in my profile picture) and only 4,000 km... :S
    This summer has been quite warm in my place and we have done those km since June.
    I'm very pleased with them, but its mileage is very very short for me. Maybe I'll try HW version...

20161009_192635.jpg

12. Fitted a new set of Bridgestone T30's at 12,000 miles in June before a Norway tour solo riding with a lot of luggage and the rear lasted 3500 miles before being almost 1mm in the centre. That included autobahns at speed and lots of gravel track mileage

Whilst in Norway all i could get was a 180 (instead of a 190) Conti Road Attack rear. Trip back on the autobahns left both tyres heavily squared off but being skint most of the time i still managed to keep riding the awful handling till the rear is also worn down completely

The front T30 lasted 8000 iles and the Conti 4200

I'll see how the pair of Pirelli Angel GT2's last fitted at exactly 20000 miles and report back :)

13. May be worth checking tyre pressures

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pilot road 3's are great and 4's are an okayish upgrade, Both would be my first choice next tyres.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I just changed mine Scorpion IMG_2397.JPG trail II's 6200 odd - still some to go but doing some off-roading next week on an away trip so a slightly early change. Note the wear patterns - this is from rebound settings being too soft - I believe ...

16. Before the strada I had a bird (two wheeled type) and the best suited for it at the moment is a avon storm ultra 2 which were brilliant for thousands of miles in all weather but they also do a high mileage tyre called the storm 3d xm, which are brilliant particularly if your mileage is mostly straight lines such as daily motorway/A road miles

17. This is my experience, and once they fall into the corner they have to be held out, very bizarre.

18. Personally I will always choose grip and traction capabilities over longevity every day of the week!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Very hairy tyre.....I like mine bald (like my wi'min). Sand paper the edges.....other bikers will never know...:D

20. Who owns which tyre brands?
    The tyre industry is a confusing business. Historically there were the big 3 brands that people nearly always purchased but recently there have been a number of mergers and new budget brands sprouting.

We thought it would be useful to post a consolidated list of who owns who in the tyre industry (for our reference as much as yours!) so here is our handy list of the market.

Michelin - France
    Worlds number one tyre manufacturer. Own the brands Michelin, BF Goodrich, Kleber, Uniroyal* and Riken.

Bridgestone - Japan
    One of the original big three. Own the brands Bridgestone, Firestone, Daytona and Europa.

Goodyear Dunlop - USA
    Goodyear recently merged with Dunlop to form one of the largest tyre manufacturers in the world. Own the brands Dunlop, Goodyear, Fulda, Falken and Kelly.

Yokohama - Japanese
    A brand in themselves, Yokohama claim to be the 7th biggest manufacturer in the world.

Pirelli - Italy
    Pirelli claim to be the 5th largest tyre manufacturer in the world. Most of it's retail is through the Pirelli brand but have more recently released the Ceat and Courier brands.

Cooper Tyre - USA
    Cooper recently bought the Avon brand. They now own Cooper, Avon and Mastercraft.

Continental - Germany
    Owns Continental, Uniroyal*, General Tyre, Gislaved and Semperit.

Toyo - Japan
    Toyo are one of the newer budget performance tyres to market. Formed many partnerships around the globe.

Kumho - Korea
    Kumho is also a budget road tyre with a strong sporting range.

Apollo - India
    Apollo now own Vredestein.

* To add to confusion Uniroyal is Continental owned in Europe and Michelin owned in USA

Do Not Sell My Personal Information