1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Pressure Monitor - Took A Chance On Ebay - Pretty Good

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by LiveFast......, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Hi folks

Wanting to keep track of tyre pressures and temps on track days without carrying extra equipment I found this tyre pressure monitor on eBay and thought for the price it was worth a try.

FB15D911-8255-46D4-8DFF-E147C0CE2CEA.jpeg 17CC60B9-023E-4CF2-8DBB-104359309CAE.jpeg A9CF3C1A-4B19-4AE0-898F-573F9C5D89C3.jpeg

I’m actually pleasantly surprised at how well it works - I have done a couple of track days with it fitted and rode through the torrential downpour the evening before the Silverstone day and it hasn’t skipped a beat.

I just tested it for accuracy against an old fashioned mechanical gauge and it was pretty good - I need to try it against a property calibrated one but I’m fairly confident it’s reading well.

The first image shows the rear tyre indicating a low pressure warning - it gives an audible alert as well as a flashing light and warning symbol on the display. The alerts levels are adjustable so you can set your own values. The last image is after pumping the tyres up with a bike track pump - you can see the temps have risen more in the front tyre due to the lower volume.

Only time will tell how long it will last before breaking but I like being able to see at a glance what my tyre pressures and temps are - 29 on the rear went to 35 after the final session at Silverstone - now I just need to figure out whether that’s good or not! :bucktooth:

• Useful Useful x 3
  2. Do you have a link? Cheers

3. oooooooooooo I like that!

4. I like that and pretty paranoid about tyre pressures, 3 puntures last year and usually the first I no is when I through her into a bend, Scary stuff

5. Tell me about it - my first time on track at Cadwell I had a slow puncture on the Triumph - not a full on track day - run by Hopp Rider Training, so very controlled throughout the morning sessions. Finally in the afternoon we were allowed a session of free running so I started pushing it - wondering why the bike felt unstable in the corners - came into the pits - to find I had 15psi left in the rear tyre - never again!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Do people ever read anything before commenting :eyes:

7. Depends. Has the OP said he came in and checked immediately the pressure and calibrated it? Which was the question?

Not sure I saw that, oh sarcastic king-wanker.

8. King wanker :joy:
    So you unblocked me :heart_eyes:
    Try reading the post again o_O
    Oh, and get well soon :):upyeah:

9. :no_mouth:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. That must be air temperatures it’s showing, not actual tyre temperatures. You’d need another sensor to read the surface of the tyre for that.

11. Can’t be ambient temperature if it’s showing 5 degrees difference between the front and rear. Maybe the temp it’s showing is what it is at the end of the valve?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Given that the temps are measured at the valve then it can only be internal air temperature that it’s monitoring - I know it’s not ambient as the temps go up dramatically on the track and in line with pressure increases. Rear much hotter than front.
    How do you normally measure tyre surface temperature?
    I have a multimeter with a temp sensor so I could take the bike for a run and compare the surface temps with the sensor temps.
    I would expect the results to be different but as long as they are consistent then the temp readings could still be used to gauge fairly accurate tyre temps.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Unlikely to get accurate temperatures but if they are consistent you can use them as a guide - checking consistency will take some time / number of tests :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I think tire temps were measured via infrared sensors, at least on the F02 / RS bikes.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information