1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Tyre Pressure Monitors

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by SteveE, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Does anyone have recommendation for a good after-market tyre pressure monitor for the Multi?

2. Why would you want one..?

I had them already fitted on my Triumph Speed triple R and they were a PITA...
    If you want to run your pressures a bit lower/higher etc the light on the dash will stay on.!!
    And I am sure that your bum will tell you that you have a puncture well before you notice a light on the dash.

Useful feature on a car, completely useless on a bike IHMO.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. On the car, you can reset the monitor each time you inflate your tyres, so surely on the bike ones, you can set the monitor to warn you below a set pressure ?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Er... you could say the same about a speedo, just know what gear you're in and watch the revs. Same with a rev counter or even brakes I guess. Hey we could save a fortune!

On my BMW RT it displayed the pressures constantly and adjusted for heat. I have a very slow leak on the front of the Multi and although I will fix that I don't want to get caught out again. Just saying ...

5. I cannot believe Ducati have not fitted tyre pressure monitors on multi, and especially on the Enduro. I have had 2 bm's and had a couple of punctures, and had that instant warning for me to keep an eye on it to see how fast it was going down, one went down very quick but had plenty of time to stop. On Top of if you get a slow puncture while out and can at least get home with no worries as you can monitor the pressure to the point of yep need to stop again to inflate.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I've fitted the Mobiltron motorcycle TPMS. It's not particularly sophisticated but works and is relatively cheap (at £99).

I use the standard internal sensors which are rather crudely are held inside the rim by big jubilee clips. Valve cap sensors are available but I don't know if they'll fit on a Multi.

The display unit shows pressure and temperature, with no attempt to correct the pressure for temperature. There is an alarm feature, for low and high pressure plus high temperature (see manual for details). I've connected the display unit to a switched 12V supply (shared with the Sat Nav) and mounted it on the handle bar clamp with 3M Dual Loop. The sensors have an internal battery (3 year life), so the pressure is displayed after then display has booted up.

I've found the system very reliable and accurate. I find a TPMS useful for checking the pressures before I set off and for making sure I've remembered to increase the tyre pressures when carrying a pillion.

7. Used the garmin tmps system linked to Garmin 595LM, had so many false readings. I removed them,..

• Useful Useful x 2
  8. I have been used to having tyre pressures displayed for the last six years on my GTR and now miss it, it helped me a couple of times when I had a rear going down slowly.

I reckon Santa will have to bring me a present of a system to monitor pressures.

9. Great, thanks. Do you have a picture of the handlebar mounting?

10. Here you go. The Scottoiler eSystem display is mounted on in the same way. I can't see the displays when I've got a tank bag fitted, not without leaning forward anyway, so this limits the effectiveness of the alarm function.
    [​IMG]
    The 3M Dual Lock (available on Amazon and lots of other online re-sellers) works well for this sort of application.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. I have asked Bennett’s and there friends at Bike Socail if they can test various versions of motorcycle tyre pressure sensors, they are considering just this and will reply in due course.

• Like Like x 1
  12. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steelmat...239431?hash=item33cc60f947:g:yuYAAOSwDNdVpNjQ

I use this type. The little display is mounted on the handlebar clamp and wired to come on with the ignition. Easy to check the pressures before during and after each ride. Shows how much pressure goes up with temperature. Flashes red if there's a puncture. It's simple, helpful, and reassuring.

If you don't have a TPMS, how often do you check the tyre pressures? No, be truthful. Truthful I said! That's right, hardly ever.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ohhh! Ok then, I'll admit it ------- I only do it when their flat at the bottom :confused:

14. TPMS systems not mounted inside the tyre cannot, by definition, compensate for temperature change, and tyre air does get hot so the pressure goes up (Physics and gas laws apply). Hired an Indian last year in US and they forgot to put compensation in so you get an alarm if you start getting enthusiastic and warm the tyres up. Why its not fitted on an MS confounds me given how much other electronics are on it and the sensor and receiver systems as cost to an OEM are relatively low. Know all this 'cos company I work for makes the pressure sensor elements (not systems - sorry).

15. A TPMS sender mounted on the valve can only tell you the temperature at the valve. A TPMS sender mounted inside the rim can only tell you the temperature at the rim. The temperature at the tyre tread is inaccessible by any available means. But that is no reason for depriving yourself of the useful information which actually is available.

16. About every 3rd ride or when I wash the bike. Whichever happens first.

Was looking at the Garmin ones as it links to satnav but having read the above think I’ll stay old school. Only reason I’d want them if to tell me I have a rapidly deflating rear tyre, as sometimes the multi can feel like the tyre is flat when it’s not.

17. I use the exact same system, being powered by the GPS lead on the left side of the bike. Works great, it's small and I would recommend it without second thoughts.

18. I just installed the FOBO sensors to my '17 Multi and like it much better then the TireGard system I've had on my Wing for 8 years. I downloaded their (FOBO) app to my iPhone 6+ and set my parameters.

19. Thanks...Does the wheel need rebalancing to compensate for the extra weight on the end of the valve?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information