1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Valves

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ck_uk, Jul 18, 2019.

1. The genuine one looks better but who's going to notice apart from you and your tyre fitter?

Pretty sure the hole size will be standard and both at 8.3 mm.

Is it just leaking as you can replace the internals if you want to keep original?

2. Thanks. My original front valve broke, and since I've just refurbished both wheels, I'm going for new angled valves.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'd spend the extra but I don't think you'd go wrong with the cheaper one :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I've used loads of the cheap ones, they're great! The genuine are probably made in the same place anyway

5. The Triumph Daytona 90 degree valves are cheaper than the Ducati items, as another option.

6. Well I've gone and done it, after analysing it to death. I think I prefer the original black plastic caps, which I thought I'd ordered, but they turned up with these instead. Half the thread is exposed when the caps are fully wound in, so they're bound to accumulate crud..

Am I ever gonna get this bike back on the road. This is just one tiny little detail.

IMG_8790.JPG
    IMG_8793.JPG
    IMG_8788.JPG

7. Wheels look amazing! Love newly painted/powdercoated parts

8. Wow, look a bit short on the inside, surely the threads should come at least to the top of the nut! Are these really genuine Ducati????

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks, but they aren't great TBH. I made the decision that I didn't want to hoik out the cush drive rubbers, and because the recommended powder coater didn't work to RAL codes, I decided to get the correct RAL 9016 paint and do it myself. This was a mistake I think, and a poor decision on my part. Although, I did really enjoy the process of painting. Same for the frame.

• Like Like x 1
  10. These aren't genuine Ducati. Again, another poor decision..

11. Well looks great in the pictures, Ive learnt I am not great at painting but still I did my latest engine and Im slowly getting better

12. If a tyre valve fails you get a very rapid deflation akin to a blow out, the rule of thumb with threads on fixings is that at least one thread should be visible past the nut, clearly not the case in your photo CK, don’t use them, here’s what happened to me, I bought a second hand Fireblade, it already had 90 degree valves fitted, not the metal base type as above but with a rubber base with a brass 90 degree valve stem, I was doing 70 on the A38 when the bike pulled slightly to the left, I went to correct it but the bike felt like it had a rubber frame, I slowly rolled the throttle off and didn’t touch the brakes, I was approaching a bend in the A38 but as luck would have it the slip road to Ripley was directly in front of me, this allowed me to continue slowing without having to change direction, as I went into the slip road the bike was tank slapping, came to a halt without falling off somehow, got off the bike, front tyre was completely flat, the valve stem had ripped out of the rubber bung causing very rapid deflation , trying to save money on valves, tyres or brakes always needs careful consideration.

• Useful Useful x 1

13. Thanks, that was a close call by the sounds of it.

So I'm looking again now, at genuine Ducati ones.

So the 90 degree one, which doesn't actually appear to have any more length of thread on it than the ones I've just bought -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...357427&hash=item2a4db524a6:g:NlEAAOxy63FS~kmR

Or, just plain old straight valve, which at least appears to have enough thread length that I can be sure will fit -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...380205&hash=item2a671c92f6:g:nP8AAMXQVT9S~ku1

14. I would let the tyre fitter fit them CK, I assume that you aren’t fitting the tyres yourself?, , (if you fit the tyres without the correct machine you’ll probably damage the paint anyway), my local tyre fitting place charges £11 per tyre and the new valve is included in that price, there’s nothing wrong with 90 degree metal base valves but don’t let them use 90 degree rubber base ones, most tyre places are aware that these fail and don’t stock them anymore, they fail because the brass tube “wiggles “ in the rubber as the wheel rotates and eventually causes a stress fracture in the rubber.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information