1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Wear

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by multinut, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Hi all
    I have a 2016 dvt multi, and am running Metzler Roadtec 01's with about 3k miles on them. Over the last 400 miles the front tyre has worn very quickly down to the canvas on the right hand side, the very edge of the tyre is ok though. the centre and left side of tyre are also ok. These are my 3rd set on this bike and have never experienced this strange wear before. does anyone have any ideas( other than go round less right hand bends!!) or could this be a faulty tyre. The front end of the bike has all been checked and is ok.

2. Has it worn all of the way around or a patch?

3K miles it's hard to say really, and your third set, my first impressions based upon the info above would be a defective tyre, but I'm curious to know the answer to my question above, if it was just a patch I would lean towards the tyre, if all of the way around it could be a geometry thing also, but you state you have had the bike checked (front end).

I've seen delaminated tyres over the years, and I recall a really hot day many years ago at Donnington for WSBK and seeing a 916/996 with a melted tyre where it contacted the tarmac, basically it could be anything. What kind of mileage do you normally get from the front tyre?

3. A lot of variables

I used to wear fronts as quick as rears on the road

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yes, me too. Which I always thought was a bit odd.

5. I only use Roadtec 01's (both my bikes get metzler) & would love to see an image of said tyre.

6. Slightly off topic, IMO, the latest generation Roadtec 01SE is a significant all round improvement over the original 01. On my Multistrada, I used to chamfer the front tyre quite heavily. I found increasing the pressure by a couple of psi improved things but not significantly. I have changed tyres as a pair for a number of years. Andy

• Useful Useful x 1

7. Hi there, yes wear is all the way round and I usually change them both at 5k with tread left on both

76FDFDA1-1A61-48AF-A62E-C0A64D03625A.jpeg

8. See image

03C7F837-CF2B-424A-B7C1-6F8725E98AD6.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. :eek: Traction control needs turning back on...

Had a front PR4 wear like that before and the front Scorpion fitted to my MV Turismo was bald on the sides, right side was noticeably worse, within 2,500 miles. Had to limp home from the Picos, luckily was on the ferry rather than riding home through France.

10. Traction control works on front tyres?

11. Separate paragraphs... :rolleyes:

My heavy front end wear was down to riding the twisties, pushing hard into corners on the brakes trying to keep up with my 996 riding touring buddy.

12. You've been getting the one side way to hot, basically imho. We all have a preferred lean side & you've been hooning it too much around long banking lefties. Ride-safe' the season is coming too an end.

13. Get your braking done before tipping in, slow in, fast out....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I'm with pauly, you've gone hard into corners on the one side. Allowing the tyre to be wrecked instead of using brakes & maintaining stability. The metzler tyres are for all conditions but when really hot they will just degrade & wear away.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information