1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyres Weight

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Cream_Revenge, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Go back and do some better research or give your head a shake, that well known JMJ track Hydrogen how far did that get up the charts being so light?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. No, it was \john Bonham and John Paul Jones. Unsprung Mass must of been in a different group.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Oxygen! Well,"Oxygène" Dunno if that will save much weight!

4. I thought rotating mass was when you went to a different Catholic church each Sunday........
    DSC_3185-3.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  5. And why don’t we all run carbon discs?

6. And carbon tyres??

• WTF WTF x 1
  7. Or carbonara.

8. Possibly in the Dutch band Critical Mass? :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bit hammy

10. Expensive?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Have we wondered off target?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. More like floated off.
    Good ponder though Creamy.
    I’m running carbon wheels on the hybrid 899 & have been told by my tyre fitters that I could have put lighter tyres on than the Michelin 2TC’s I have on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pov...

14. Only with it if more grip :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Carbon black is used in tyres

• Like Like x 3
  16. You translated it incorrectly. In English, it's "The one that goes 'Doo de doo-doo doo'", not to be confused with the follow up, "The one that goes 'Da-da da-da da-da-da daaaa'".

17. More to do with the fact that they don't brake at all until they are up to temperature. Not very useful when you want to stop suddenly after a few miles of not using them.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Appreciate the help...

19. They do at the top end of motorsports.

when budgets were mental they did in bikes as well, and at WSB and MotoGP probably do.

ive got a set of golden era slicks in the shed which combined as a pair still weigh less than a road bike front tyre.

In 500gp some riders were renown for Having very squirmy tyres, you can bet that these tyres were light as anything trading carcass durability and stiffness.

the lighter you can make that tyre the more pronounced and effective your suspension and braking become, especially braking, which means you can go smaller on the discs for the same braking power, which in turn helps unload the suspension etc etc.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Like bradders says, all of the above are more important to a road rider, track day rider/ club racer.

put simply you don’t have the money to be launching on a tyre which you’ll be replacing at the end of each and every session unless you’ve got serious sponsorship Or a technical partner behind you.

for a mere mortal, going down the road of the super lightweight pixie tears tyre is just not an option, especially when the likes of Michelin will say sure, but your minimum order quantity is 50 or 100 vehicle sets and you know you’ll be doing 1/4 of those over a week of testing just learning how they behave, how your pilot reacts to them and tailors his own style to meet them and then the knock on is they come back to pit and start asking for chassis Compliance changes.

Mick Doohan was a prime example of this where HRC would given him the bike with their tyre choice and by mid season he was using last years frame with a modded arm or suspension, and the chassis was a world away from the original preseason test and race 1 chassis.

proper money, hence motorsports moving to a limited choice and single manufacturer in many series.

#40 Sev, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information